Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting amp board-help

cougzfan83

Brand new 2013 22 MXZ

Just started taking a look at where and how to mount my new tower system from Exile. I am looking to mount two new amps, distribution block, add a zone control, and wire to 4 tower speakers and a sub.

When I got down "under the hood" to check out the the work Malibu did, I have to say, I was quite disappointed. I'm a novice when it comes to boat audio, but even I could recognize the shoddy job. There is an amp board that is essentially resting diagonally against the hull with one screw securing it at the top and two "stoppers" at the base to keep it from sliding out. Seems really flimsy to me. There is no way it could adequately support two heavy amps. The wiring behind it is also one big jumbled mess.

Did I just get a bad one, or is that how these things come? If any of you have done something similar, did you rip out the board from Malibu and start fresh, reinforce it, or just use it as is? I'm really not even sure where to begin. It seems like I am losing 6 inches of space just because of the angle of the board.

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

fosgate_zps1d75400f.jpg

amp_zpsc966bf11.jpgphoto10_zps2e2fc11e.jpg

My 2011 247 looked the same.

Worst thing is your stereo connections might come loose in that pile of wires. All those connections should be zip tied or taped worst case so they don't rely on the friction of the connector to stay functional. Cheers to Malibu monitoring this,, been reiterated on here many times; would be an easy fix.

However, that amp board def wil support 3 big amps. Lots of folks have them on there. That board should have 4 screws: 2 at the top comers and 2 on the bottom.

You got a typical malibu factory hackjob stereo install. You'll be fine mounting amps to that board as the load is in the downward direction and it's 1/2" HDPE so the top screw isn't going to go anywhere, nor will it jump the stoppers at the bottom. Not ideal setup for sure but a little work can fix that. Now the rats nest of a wire job they did behind the amp rack is not acceptable IMO.

I would rebuild the amp board using Baltic Birch. The factory board is too flimsy for heavy amps. This is a typical Malibu stereo install so don't feel bad. That's one thing I appreciate about Natiques, their wiring is fantastic! Take note Malibu, time to step it up in this department. Just because the average Joe can't see the work doesn't mean it goes unnoticed, it's the small details lots of guys look for and it separates the men from the boys!

Edited by old skool malibu