Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

birds

Chia

I saw in a marina the other day a lot of boats covered in bird crap, except for one.

The one had a wooden snake at the front and a wooden snake at the back and no birds on the boat, while boats all around had birds and bird crap on them.

I hope this will work for ducks on the swim grid. :)

I bought an Owl last year after the seagulls crapped all over the top canopy of my boat lift and ducks crapped on the dock. Seemed to work ok; however, I set it up late in the season. I heard that you have to move the decoys around to different places or the birds will clue in and return.

This is a yearly fight for me and I failed miserably last year. I've tied snakes, commercial fishing net and noodles and whirly gigs. This year I am going to put an owl on a 3 foot post and attach it to my platform and that hopefully will keep the ducks away. As far as the whirly gigs go, they work great for seagulls as long as there is a little wind.

I saw a neat thing at Sea world and it worked great.

This should work for Shore Station Canopy's

Buy a little electric motor. Find a way to mount two very long fiberglass thin dowels on it. Mount it on top of the canopy so it looks like a helicoptor blade.

It doesn't have to turn fast, birds land, it sweeps around and clips them.

Two suggestions for birds

If you are using owls, hang them with fishing line on a swivel. Not string, not rope, fishing line !

If you have an Ag supply near you ask them for bird tape or mylar tape this stuff works great until the wind breaks it off.

The almond growers in our area tie strips to the trees so the birds will leave the nuts alone.

I don't have a bird problem so I can't help you there -- BUT -- after trying many different things I finally found a solution to the dang ducks and geese on my swim platform.

Bought one of those vinyl pickup truck tail gate replacements (that are supposed to improve your gas mileage then I fabricated a frame out of PVC such that it stretches the tail gate thingy at a 45 degree angle above the swim platform and no more duck shoot to clean up.

I designed it such that the two outer ends clip over the edge of the platform, and the front attaches to my D rings with small bungies. Install takes ~ 45 seconds and works well. I see a patent in my future.

Edited by Baddog
I don't have a bird problem so I can't help you there -- BUT -- after trying many different things I finally found a solution to the dang ducks and geese on my swim platform.

Bought one of those vinyl pickup truck tail gate replacements (that are supposed to improve your gas mileage then I fabricated a frame out of PVC such that it stretches the tail gate thingy at a 45 degree angle above the swim platform and no more duck shoot to clean up.

I designed it such that the two outer ends clip over the edge of the platform, and the front attaches to my D rings with small bungies. Install takes ~ 45 seconds and works well. I see a patent in my future.

I'd like to see it. I tried the same thing with commercial fishing net and they thought it was a hammock. Crazy.gif

I don't have a bird problem but that whirly gig sounds so cool I might just have to buy one for the hell of it.

:lol:

We'll see if you say that after spring. You haven't owned your houseboat in Spring yet. Wait until the Mud Dobbers start building mud nests on the side of your houseboat :lol: Dude I'm serious...

I don't have a bird problem but that whirly gig sounds so cool I might just have to buy one for the hell of it.

:lol:

We'll see if you say that after spring. You haven't owned your houseboat in Spring yet. Wait until the Mud Dobbers start building mud nests on the side of your houseboat :lol: Dude I'm serious...

Mud dobbers? Those are big hornets aren't they? I'll take messy ducks any day.

I had goose poop problem on the beach. Darned Canadian Geese. They (about 14 of them) decided to make my beach their toilet area each morning. I was scooping up goose pellets and dripping oozing black gucky stuff every morning. Gross!

I mounted a 20" tall plastic owl on to a 30" length 2X4. Buried the 2X4 in the sand. I watched the next am as the geese swam close to shore .... got spooked by the owl ..... and moved on to somebody else's toilet area. I left the owl there all summer. Never saw one more goose pellet all summer. Worked for me.