Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker help?

Ilovewater

We have a 02 sunsetter we are wanting to replace all the speakers in the boat. We really don't want to spend a ton of money on the most expensive products out there? What size speakers do we need to be looking for like 5.25 6 or 7 inch? What type of in the middle price range speakers work the best? We are either doing one or two kicker 10'' subs on a 1000 watt amp and thinking about putting it under the drivers area. we are thinking either power bass or kicker

Polk db651 coaxial 6.5 are a terrific speaker for the money. At ~$50 a pair they are hard to beat. Marine rated also. I put 2 pair in my boat and have them running off a arc audio 35 watt per channel amp and they blast!

weekends can be slow around here sometimes, ya know when people arent hard at work...You need 6.5" - As rooster mentioned polk 651's are great for the money. A step up from those would be Exile SX65-M speakers, they are component speakers, made for boats/marine environment, and sound awesome.

Agree'd, some lower end brands will include - Polk Audio, Clarion, and Alpine. I'm not saying they are bad quality speakers but just won't have a nice quality as such other brands like - Exile, Wetsounds or JL Audio.

I'm pretty sure the most popular boat speaker are the Wetsounds and Exiles.

Otherwise for speakers size, most boats come equipped with 6.5". If you are wanting more bass and treble stepping up to a 7-8" will definitely improve that over 6.5" but with a slight bigger price tag. I can tell you I bought 6 JL Audio speakers and an amp + wiring for $1000.

It includes:

4 - 6.5" Speakers

2- 7.7" Speakers

1- 5 channel 750W Amp

I use to have some 5.25" and 6" alpines which were quite dated and I can say they sounded horrible once you started to cruise. I have yet to try out my new system ( I have all the speakers installed and wired but that's as far as I got) But I'm certain it will be 10x better. As for my choice of going with JL Audio, it was more of a power consumption ordeal as I wanted something a little less powerful but still have a good kick. I only have a single battery in my boat and I was scared of what I might get into if I started adding tower speakers and what not, so I decided to go with JL's. Overall the quality is nice, but I probably like Exile's and Wetsound's grills a little better.

Agree'd, some lower end brands will include - Polk Audio, Clarion, and Alpine. I'm not saying they are bad quality speakers but just won't have a nice quality as such other brands like - Exile, Wetsounds or JL Audio.

I'm pretty sure the most popular boat speaker are the Wetsounds and Exiles.

Otherwise for speakers size, most boats come equipped with 6.5". If you are wanting more bass and treble stepping up to a 7-8" will definitely improve that over 6.5" but with a slight bigger price tag. I can tell you I bought 6 JL Audio speakers and an amp + wiring for $1000.

It includes:

4 - 6.5" Speakers

2- 7.7" Speakers

1- 5 channel 750W Amp

I use to have some 5.25" and 6" alpines which were quite dated and I can say they sounded horrible once you started to cruise. I have yet to try out my new system ( I have all the speakers installed and wired but that's as far as I got) But I'm certain it will be 10x better. As for my choice of going with JL Audio, it was more of a power consumption ordeal as I wanted something a little less powerful but still have a good kick. I only have a single battery in my boat and I was scared of what I might get into if I started adding tower speakers and what not, so I decided to go with JL's. Overall the quality is nice, but I probably like Exile's and Wetsound's grills a little better.

Thanks I will check all those out and see which would work the best. Has anyone messed with the power bass marine series? For the money we use to run them in our cars and they were loud as can be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What do y'all cover the sub boxes in? Also would a 10 under the drivers be enough to hear or do we need a 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do y'all cover the sub boxes in? Also would a 10 under the drivers be enough to hear or do we need a 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polyester resin or epoxy resin. Epoxy is about twice as much but way nicer to work with and almost no fumes to deal with.

Sure you'd be able to "hear" a 10. If you are thinking of doing 2 10's or 1 12" I'd go the 1 12" route. Between powerbass and kicker go kicker for sure.

Ok that's what I figured the last time we use regular carpet boxes in the last two boats the had more mildew and mold on them it was crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Would rhino liner or the bed lining in a can work? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah I've had 3 boxes done with Line-X 6 years ago and they are still good as new today. Still need to keep the box off of the carpet though no matter what you coat it in.

Yeah I've had 3 boxes done with Line-X 6 years ago and they are still good as new today. Still need to keep the box off of the carpet though no matter what you coat it in.

ok should we put it on some 2x4s or something?

I have an '00 Sunsetter LXI and just upgraded my 4 speakers to JL Audio M770 speakers (have to take the windshield off to install--pretty easy). They are $500 a pair and I have a good amp driving them. They are spectacular--very clear, extremely loud and lots of bass (in my driveway, I hope to get out on the water this weekend to try them out).

I plan on turning the bass down a bit on them and using my 12' sub to drive bass, but I also think that I could just use these speakers and not have a subwoofer at all. that would be a trade off for you to consider---really nice speakers that have enough bass, or a bit less pricey speakers and separate subs.

Best of luck.