Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Very Inexpensive Automatic Mute for Stereo Mod

ShoeDad

We did this to our boats last year and it works great. Automatic mute and resume switch for stereo when needing to pick up skier.

Get a RPM switch similar to this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-830449-1?seid=srese1&gclid=COf8jsDb6bYCFSNqMgodaVAAqA

Hook that to the phone line on your head unit (the line that tells the stereo that you have a phone call coming in and it automatically mutes your radio).

Set the switch for the RPM level you want the level resumed to it's volume. Once your RPM Level drops below that level, it automatically mutes your stereo as you are picking up skier. Once back to cruising speed, it resumes.

I saw some posts a while ago asking about an automatic mute. There are things out there but way too expensive in our opinion. For under $50 this is a great mod!

The power for this is activated as soon as we turn the rocker switch for the stereo so you basically set it and forget it. My brother actually put his on a seperate switch so can activate or deactivate at will.

Be Safe.

ShoeDad

ho ho! That is some redneck ingenuity right there. So because the phone wire is normally open, you hook it to the normally open side of the window switch, right? Very very interesting, I love it!

hey shoe dad... there doesn't seem to be much info about that window switch out there. Can you confirm that it will keep the RPM cutoff you set in memory when the key is off (or power is otherwise cut to the switch)?

Yeah, let me look at the exact RPM switch that I have in my boat. I do know that you set it though and it stays that way until you open it up and re-set it. (The one I have does not have a clear window with setting buttons on it, they are actually inside so you remove the cover to get to the settings.

We are always looking for ways of doing easier. Must be the engineer in my brother and I.

Take Care.