Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'lectrical dudes (and surfgate diy dudes...) need a little help...

OK so on my boat I am going to install a trim tab. MB wants $1500 for the kit. I've sourced 95% of the parts from lenco for $300. The only thing that I won't have is a dash gauge showing the trim tab position. So be it.

One of the factory features is auto retract on key-off. I'm going to incorporate that by using a bennett auto tab retractor. Basically, as I understand it, this proprietary box is just a "dumb" timer that sends a retract signal when a normally closed positive ignition signal is opened (i.e. "key off"). Awesome. So by adding this box, I can basically reproduce the factory tab-up-on-keyoff.

But I want to take it one step further. I'd like the option of running a window switch on the normally closed circuit for an auto launch feature. To say it another way, I'd like to deploy the tab while bringing a rider out of the water, but once the boat hits a pre-determined rpm, the tab retracts. Seems easy enough with a window switch. So far so good.

Here's where my brain starts hurting though: can I use a dpdt carling dash switch to bypass the window switch in order to defeat the auto launch feature? Or maybe even a single throw switch (auto launch on or off)? If so how would I wire that up? Basically I'd like to flip the switch up and have auto launch with the window switch and down for normal operation (auto retract on key off, manual deploy and retract).

I'm figuring somebody must have thought about using one of these auto retractors on a diy surfgate, so maybe you've already puzzled this out?

You definately need to seek the wisdom of the Mod King aka MA!

100% agree. PM martinarcher as there are some conversations regarding such a switch and he may already have more of a solution than you are trying to do yourself.

If I were you I would definitely install a trim indicator tab. I think not being able to see where your tab is adjusted would get annoying.

Have you looked at the Supra set up? Its a small handle on steering column, very easy to adjust up and down. I used it all the time and it was very easy to adjust on the fly. Seems like it would be a pretty simple install.

If I were you I would definitely install a trim indicator tab. I think not being able to see where your tab is adjusted would get annoying.

Have you looked at the Supra set up? Its a small handle on steering column, very easy to adjust up and down. I used it all the time and it was very easy to adjust on the fly. Seems like it would be a pretty simple install.

Unlike a lot of other manufacturers, the MB tab is ONLY used to get the boat out of the hole. Apparently (I'm going to confess no personal knowledge because I have not actually been behind a tab-equipped boat) the tab just ruins the wake when it's deployed. So while underway with a rider you'd use it to get the boat out of the hole, and that's it. After the boat is on plane the tab must be fully retracted or else it ruins the wake.

So while I agree that it would be really nice to have a visual indicator, I'm not sure it's going to be worth $1200.

And because it's basically not used at all while the boat is on plane, that's why I want to set up this auto-retract feature with the window switch... So I don't have to be making all sorts of hand gestures to tell my driver to pull the tab up once the boat is out of the hole.

Yep, you are one of my favorite Internet Electricians. Its amazing what you are able to figure out by studying.

Actually I think I figured out that that switch won't work, because it's on-off-on. So if the switch is in the off position, I'm pretty sure the tab would be disabled? I think what I'm really trying to do is set it up so the default is keyed ignition power, and then I can bypass to the window switch. But I don't want an "off" option, just one or the other of those two choices.

MA I need you bro!

Lol, hand jestures! You mean telling the wife to turn up stereo, adjust wakeplate, check speed control, stay off the shoreline, have your kids pull flag out of holder! Its amazing how much backseat driving I have to do while wakeboarding!

Lol, hand jestures! You mean telling the wife to turn up stereo, adjust wakeplate, check speed control, stay off the shoreline, have your kids pull flag out of holder! Its amazing how much backseat driving I have to do while wakeboarding!

Ha yeah dude you know exactly where I'm coming from. Just trying to take thinking out of the equation.