Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SYN 4 set up advice

wdr

Looking for advice from those of you running the SYN 4. I'm in the process of putting together my SYN 4 and Rev-10 combo and I am half way there. I just installed the amp (thanks vincevtx) and I am going to run my 4 Titan factory speakers until I can build up enough honey do's to call David and buy the Rev-10s.

I currently have the speakers bridged on the amp and wired like they came from the factory. It is amazing the clarity and definition of sound that I am hearing now that I didn't with the RF P400.2.

I am looking for ballpark settings to keep the amp safe and provide the best sound while not being "that guy"! I have the amp in the BRIDGED (F R IN) and (F L IN) settings and the FRONT/REAR crossovers are set in the HIGH position.

The cross over points and the FREQ RANGE (x1/x10) button are my first questions? The BASS BOOST, SOURCE SELECT I am clueless about although if I can get a little mid range to the tower it would help to balance the sound I am guessing.

The gains are set to almost the minimum and seem to be pretty good where they are at. This is one area where I am completely clueless and like always thanks for the advice. Bill

Edited by wdr

If you have 4 tower pods that were once powered by a single 2 chnl amp, and now you have them wired bridged on a 4 chnl, I would suggest double checking how each pair is wired together. Reason being, if you left the speakers wired as they were to the 2 chnl, then you are now bridging a 2 ohm load on the current 4 chnl. Thats too low, the amp will go into protect mode.

If all 4 speaker leads are home-running to the amp, then run each of them on their own chnl.

If there is a single 2 conductor at the amp for each side, then the pairs are wired together in parallel either in the tower or at the pods. They need to be rewired in series, then you can run them bridged on the new 4 chnl. This presents an 8 ohm bridged load, which equals the 4 ohm x 4 output to each speaker.

Cross-over filter needs to set to Hi-Pass for both. the x1/x10 needs to be set in the x1 position. This will stay the same when the new speakers are installed. If you have the 6.5" speakers, I would set the frequency to 120Hz. If you have the 6x9", I would se them to about 100Hz. This will change when the new 10" speakers are installed.

Bass-Boost set to zero

Source Select - directs which chnls get Bass-Boost, so it doesnt matter in your case because the amp will be on Hi-Pass with BB set to zero.

In-put mode and gains will depend on how you ultimately wire the speakers to the amp.

MLA, thanks. I figured I had better ask before I actually start using it and I screwed something up. I'll run 4 quality wires now and just leave the extra ones when I do the final Rev-10 install. Thanks again, Bill.

Edited by wdr