Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rubrail Maintenance

Okay, I'm finishing up the spring prep on the boat and want to know what to do to get the white PVC transfer off the black rubrails. Is there a chemical? Or should I try some filing?

I have wetsanded mine with fine grit sandpaper and it came off. It was some work but it was well worth it. After I finished I got some of those Malibu covers for the poles. That took care of any future problems. There is a thread somewhere on how to wetsand the gelcoat which explains the same steps I used but I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have problems with the PVC rubbing off on the stainless rubrails?

I have white pvc covering the poles on my dock. I was thinking about getting some malibu trailer pole covers to cover a couple poles on my dock where my Bu will be parked.

Use steel wool. Then take some bunk carpet and spray contact cement and glue the carpet to the pvc poles. Works great and looks good. Best of all no more while marks on the rub rail.

Does anyone have problems with the PVC rubbing off on the stainless rubrails?

I haven't had any trouble at all with this. In fact, I think the stainless rubrails are a huge improvement because of this. My old boat had the white marks on the black rubrail, but there isn't a single one on the stainless. I have padded covers on the guide poles but my wife ran the boat into the pvc at the dock pretty hard one day and there wasn't a mark on the stainless rubrail.

I just rubbed mine with Rubbing Compound and then followed up with some Finesse it II. I'll probably hit it with 303 before I go out again.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Hubby just did the spring cleaning on the BU and he used a product called Black again. It's made by Black Jack and he get's it at GI Joes. It has a UV protectant in it. He uses it on everything. Makes everything look brand new Yahoo.gif