Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

~$300 tower speaker setup for surfing?

TrickyNicky

Okay first off current setup:

This amp bridged for towers: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/jbl-gto-4-channel-amplifier-gto1004/10098399.aspx?path=02dd8b65d1ba23d104d8630509f6c95cen02&SearchPageIndex=1

Currently have 1 pair of the RF 6.5" towers that came with the boat.

I'm looking at speakers for surfing. If they can be used at all for wakeboarding, they will but the main reason is surfing and surfing alone. I'd rather sound quality than loudness. The reason I'm looking at all is because I believe my RF speakers have given out in one way or another. I will be doing a full troubleshoot when I am at the boat next and if I can fix them and am happy I may just stick with them. I've certainly never been overjoyed with them even while surfing but this year I'm installing FAE too.

The only reason I am considering upgrading was because I read an old thread on the kicker 6500.2. I liked the idea I can just install these into my current cans and be done with it. I can get the 6500 NOT HLCD for $300 locally. Will these be suffice for surfing, I don't want to spend anything to be in the same situation. Any other recommendation? I figure with virtually no budget the only thing that would work is new speakers in the old cans. Also I have the illusion X tower if that matters.

BTW I am a stereo n00b so tread lightly.

Edited by TrickyNicky

I just installed the boss 6x9's and they sound as good as my old exile sxt65q's. These boss speakers were only 180 shipped and have an rms rating of 250 watts. I have them on my harpoon amp getting close to their capablility

Okay first off current setup:

This amp bridged for towers: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/jbl-gto-4-channel-amplifier-gto1004/10098399.aspx?path=02dd8b65d1ba23d104d8630509f6c95cen02&SearchPageIndex=1

Currently have 1 pair of the RF 6.5" towers that came with the boat.

I'm looking at speakers for surfing. If they can be used at all for wakeboarding, they will but the main reason is surfing and surfing alone. I'd rather sound quality than loudness. The reason I'm looking at all is because I believe my RF speakers have given out in one way or another. I will be doing a full troubleshoot when I am at the boat next and if I can fix them and am happy I may just stick with them. I've certainly never been overjoyed with them even while surfing but this year I'm installing FAE too.

The only reason I am considering upgrading was because I read an old thread on the kicker 6500.2. I liked the idea I can just install these into my current cans and be done with it. I can get the 6500 NOT HLCD for $300 locally. Will these be suffice for surfing, I don't want to spend anything to be in the same situation. Any other recommendation? I figure with virtually no budget the only thing that would work is new speakers in the old cans. Also I have the illusion X tower if that matters.

BTW I am a stereo n00b so tread lightly.

Something just doesnt sound right here. The KM6500.2 is an HLCD tower system. Its a 4 driver setup with 2 6.5" mid-bass drivers and 2 horns. Its a component type setup, so it requires either 2 pair of pods or a pair of double pods. The KM6500 6.5" mid-bass driver pair can be purchased separately but they are intended to be an addition to the KM6500.2 for a 6-pod setup, and not a stand-alone speaker system like a coax.

I have the kicker 6500.2 set up. They sound great at 75'. You can pick these up for 300 on eBay . Speakers only, you need enclosures, crossovers are included.

post-19713-0-50416300-1366462776_thumb.j

Ahh I did not realize the 6500.2 required 2 cans per "speaker" this makes a lot more sense.

Seeing as the 6500 is meant to be a component would that likely mean they wouldn't be any good as a stand alone? Does anyone have any experiment with this as a stand alone?

Ahh I did not realize the 6500.2 required 2 cans per "speaker" this makes a lot more sense.

Seeing as the 6500 is meant to be a component would that likely mean they wouldn't be any good as a stand alone? Does anyone have any experiment with this as a stand alone?

It would sound like its under water. The KM6500 is just a 6.5" woofer. Its not a full-range speaker like a coaxial, as its intended to run along side the KM6500.2 system. If you are looking for a coaxial tower speaker, the KM6200 would be what you need to look at or similar 6.5" coaxial.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the kicker 6500.2 set up. They sound great at 75'. You can pick these up for 300 on eBay . Speakers only, you need enclosures, crossovers are included.

I've been looking around a bit, and I'm pretty sure this picture is going to answer my question...but has anyone mounted a 6500.2 setup in a set of quad Titan cans on an illusion tower?

I'm guessing that the horn won't mount in the can (unless the face would allow it to be reverse mounted to the back of the Titan grilles somehow) but if someone has done this, I'd love to see it. Guessing the mid is not a problem. Been wanting to try it, but can't envision how the horn would work...

The horn mounts to the back of the chrome plastic trim ring of the Titan can. Overall, they do sound good. Not REV10 good but if you already own the cans and are looking to re-load them, you could do worse. I would think the best result would be to do the 6 can setup with the extra mids. At that point though, you're better off biting the bullet and just getting the 10" WS/Exile stuffs.

I didn't want to double down on the Kicker KM6500.2 + KM6500 system investment to prove the 6 can theory. I couldn't imagine a Titan III tower with 6 cans, I would have to source an extra set of the Titan I cans, buy the extra mids.

Edited by robtr8

The horn mounts to the back of the chrome plastic trim ring of the Titan can. Overall, they do sound good. Not REV10 good but if you already own the cans and are looking to re-load them, you could do worse. I would think the best result would be to do the 6 can setup with the extra mids. At that point though, you're better off biting the bullet and just getting the 10" WS/Exile stuffs.

I didn't want to double down on the Kicker KM6500.2 + KM6500 system investment to prove the 6 can theory. I couldn't imagine a Titan III tower with 6 cans, I would have to source an extra set of the Titan I cans, buy the extra mids.

you are the man! Did you take any pictures of the horn mouning to trim ring on the Titan can? I'll definitely take your word for it that it works, but I'd like to see it...as well as a picture of it once it's seated inside the can. I assume it's pretty stealth (that's what I'm going for on this upgrade more than anything) but would love to see the results before I buy the speakers.

Stealth as in your wife won't notice you changed out the drivers because the cans haven't changed? You need little bit longer fasteners because the horn's rim is thicker than the regular cone driver you pull out. Also you don't or at least I didn't reuse the grill on the horn/can assembly. Make sure you wire the KM6500.2's in parallel as noted in their instructions, very important for the crossover to work properly.

Sorry, no pix. Pretty straight forward. My biggest question was horns on the inside pair or outside pair. :dontknow:

Stealth as in your wife won't notice you changed out the drivers because the cans haven't changed? You need little bit longer fasteners because the horn's rim is thicker than the regular cone driver you pull out. Also you don't or at least I didn't reuse the grill on the horn/can assembly. Make sure you wire the KM6500.2's in parallel as noted in their instructions, very important for the crossover to work properly.

Sorry, no pix. Pretty straight forward. My biggest question was horns on the inside pair or outside pair. :dontknow:

Good stuff, thanks! longer screws shouldn't be a problem.

wired in parallel huh? Well that sucks! do you have the Illusion tower? I assume you had to run new wires from horn A to horn B? That has to be a giant PITA!!

if you ran that off a typical 4 channel amp, did you bridge two channels into one for the horns?

rennis-

No new wires needed in the tower. You have a horn and a mid on each side with the KM6500.2. The left horn and left mid are withed together. Wire the left horn in parallel with the left mid off the wire already there. Same thing for the right side.

it really is just that easy.

The setup provides a 4-ohm load, (and no lower) for both the left and the right side, so you can easily bridge a 4-channel amp to run these.

Don't over think it though; many people will try to use a 4-channel amp with half the amp driving the mids, and half the amp driving the horns, and that takes extra wire and actually makes the amp deilvier less power than if bridged.

Hope that helps

Edited by philwsailz

DUH!

For some reason I was thinking you'd run the horns in parallel. that was stupid! you couldn't even have 'stereo' sound that way!

So really, assuming that I took the 4x100 amp and bridged it down to two 2x200 channels, assuming the ohm load was okay, I'd then run one lead to each set of mids/horns (there are currently 4 channels going to the tower, so I'd just need to use one left and one right off the bridge), and each would be wired in parallel to the mid/horn pair with a crossover? If that's the case, then yes, that's super easy and probably a really cheap way to do a pretty good sounding tower setup that would almost appear factory original. That's what I want...affordable, sound good, looks original, doesn't attract attention from the cops. (REV10s?...cop magnets where we ride)

Boom!

The crossovers are attached. Connection to the mids and horns are push terminals. There is no outboard crossover to mess with, so yes, it is really easy.

Edited by philwsailz