Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower speaker help

dodge22

I'm trying to choose between pro 60's and the exile xm7 ... I can get them for the same price. I like the pro 60's because they come in white but most important is sound quality. The dealers in my area do not sell enough so no one has display units to hear. Anyone have any experience with either ? I plan on running a p1000x2 or a p500x2 amp @ 2 ohms for 2 pairs

Honestly they will be pretty similar. Projects decently to 70 feet, but sounds harsh inside the boat. Depends on what you want to use them for.

When you say harsh ... Do you mean they will be too loud ? Also what amp do you think will work better ? The p1000x2 or the p500x2. I noticed the pro 60's are only rated for 150rms and the xm7's are rated for 250rms. Everyone here seems to agree with over powering them ......

500.2 is fine if it is 250 RMS per channel. I mean harsh by it hurts your ears, not enough mid bass. They are loud, but don't sound warm. They sound bright.

Dodge - what is your intended use for tower speakers? Are you looking for loud speakers to project to a rider at 80' so they can hear the music well, or speaker (that still are very loud and can be heard at boarding distances) that dont project quite as far but have great sounds in and around the boat, for surfing, floating and partying?

Where are you located? Any chance of hearing any of these speakers?

- C

The boat is used for almost everything. I'm sure this makes it harder. Our family does a little bit of boarding but probly more surfin and floating around enjoying the water.

I would look at Exile SXT65 then. They sound amazing. We had them before the XM9s and the sound quality was really good, you might need 4 to project.

Ok doing more research I'm thinking of doing a hybrid set up .... Xm7's and sxt65. Would this be a better all around sounding package ? If I go this way how would I wire them to the p500 amp without over powering the sxt65's or under powering the xm7's ??

You can run the Hybrid setup off one amp, but it needs to be a 1ohm stable amp. The Harpoon will run it just fine, I dont think that P500 will pull it off. The Hybrid setup consists of 2 sets SXT65's and 1 set of XM7. That puts you at a 1.33 ohm load per channel . Even if the P500 woudl pull it off, the speakers would be pretty underpowered.

Can I run just 1 pair of the 65's ? I have an illusion tower. Only really allows me 4 speaker locations. Would the p1000x2 be a better choice? The harpoon is a little out of my budget and I'd like to keep my amps matching on my amp rack

Gotta do two sets of the 65's for the hybrid setup or it doesn't sound right. Better off just doing 4 of the 65's.

Edited by Bobby Light
martinarcher

You could run one pair of each and run them off separate amps or at last separate channels and tune them to you liking. I have that set-up (pair of 65's and a pair of Pro 80's) and I have been very happy with the results.

Why not one one amp and one set of tower speakers.

Yes, the Pro 60's are hideous - 1 pair or 2 pair. Loud, tingy and a 6.5 speaker just cant get that low. Based on previous comments - the XM-7 needs to be coupled with addtional speakers. So know you are into 6 speakers and another amp...so that really does not align itself with your cost concious comments in the first post. Everyone has a budget and I completely understand.

You could get away with one set of Rev 10's and be done with it or a set of Rev 8's. I have heard that it best to do two sets of Rev 8's though if you go with that speaker...could be wrong. I'm sure that you could do fine with one set of XM - 9's as well....I heard them showroom but not out in the open.

I'm pretty sure you could get into a set 10 for $1000 or less and throw that amp you have at them and they would plenty loud and plenty punchy and still leave you with a little cash in the wallet.

Speakers are simple.

You get amplitude with either surface area or excursion. It's easier and more efficient to get amplitude with surface area over excursion in an open field.

An 8-inch speaker is typically double the surface area of a 6.5" speaker and a 10-inch speaker is typically two thirds more surface area than an 8-inch.

It takes six 6.5" speakers to approach the surface area of two 10" speakers.

Midbass extension is mostly related to pod displacement.

A great number of speakers will play louder than a single pair but ten equal speakers will not play any lower than one identical speaker. The only way you will get deeper midbass is to use a larger speaker in a larger pod.

Staggered speakers on a leaning tower create nulls in the response. Why? Because they are not phase-aligned.

So I would recommend simple and large.

David

I agree as well, but it sounds like he needs the REV10's. Bigger is better right David. Since the REV10 is an actual 10" speaker and the XM9, and the REV8 is actually an 8" inch speaker. If you want a single set in the biggest, REV10 is the actual winner. Its simple math:

10" is bigger than 8"

Edited by DQ

An Xm9 is actually larger than an 8" speaker and smaller than a 10" speaker.....

its 8.375", which equals no measurable gain in output, power handling or mid-bass. So, since there is no 8.375" HLCD market, its an 8" yesterday, today and tomorrow. A 7.7 may be slightly less then someones 8" speaker, but its going to be considered and 8". I can measure a handful of 12" subs from a variety of manufacturers and I bet there will be some slight differences when each is measured at the same spot. That doesnt make one an 11.985" sub and another a 12.148" sub. At the end of the day, they are all 12" sub-woofers and will be compared as such.

Ya I've measured them myself, back to my point. It's larger than a Rev8, so it's got more surface area. That's a fact today, tomorrow, and the next day. Neither of them are close to the size of the Rev10, that's also a fact. I'm lucky my dealer carries both lines so I can go play with them anytime I want, except Sundays LOL..

If anyone wants to see them side by side here you go.... The rev series are very nice speakers (nobody said they weren't) and a major upgrade from the pro series. The exiles are also very nice. Go listen and buy what you want, you'll be happy with the purchase and that's what matters.

photo.jpg

According to Brian, the manufacturer, they are 8-3/8". Yes, thats larger then 8, but it equals no measurable difference in terms of output, mid-bass, power handling, etc. I am just keeping to the facts. No one has said anything negative about the XM-9, just keeping it in context.

Id love to see that same pic with a tape stretched across both speaker from peak of the surround to peak of the surround. This would put it total perspective.

Great so we've repeated the facts several times now, the xm9 is bigger than the rev8 and smaller than the rev10. The obvious has now been stated. The difference in sound is up to the listener, not the retailer of one brand who's been dumped by the other.

You alone have stated the XM9 is larger then the Rev-8. I have stated that the XM9 is 8.375" per the manufacturer. Any slight difference in actual diameter between two 8" HLCD's will not make an audible difference.

Not sure what the last part if your statement means or is insinuating, can you clarify?