Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best way for Cleaning Boat Fenders/Bumpers

JB-FOOT

Hey Fellow Crew Members...

What have you found to be the best way or products for cleaning and restoring your white vinyl boat fenders/bumpers?

Looking for something that wont leave the vinyl ruined or hardened when done....

Thanks

JB

JB hasn't been around long enough to know Tony or, the recipe.

Here it is:

Mix 50% Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner with 50% Hydrogen Peroxide.
The Lysol MUST BE the blue gell stuff with NO chlorine.
Spray it on, wipe with a towel, and rinse it off. It will strip the wax so, plan on doing a full wash and wax afterward.
cleardot.gif

JB hasn't been around long enough to know Tony or, the recipe.

Here it is:

Mix 50% Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner with 50% Hydrogen Peroxide.
The Lysol MUST BE the blue gell stuff with NO chlorine.
Spray it on, wipe with a towel, and rinse it off. It will strip the wax so, plan on doing a full wash and wax afterward.
cleardot.gif

pete

I am talking the air filled bumper/fenders.... Like TAYLOR MADE bumpers....not trailer fenders....

so, are we still talking the same tonic...because I have never waxed a set of air filled boat bumpers...

Pressure washer man, worked for me today actually.

OK I will try that this weekend, if that does not work, guess it is Tony's tonic

thanks

Terry fender covers...

I am trying to clean the fenders that I leave tied up to the dock slip all summer. the ones I keep in the boat are spotless....otherwise the terry covers would work..

Edited by JB-FOOT

I am trying to clean the fenders that I leave tied up to the dock slip all summer. the ones I keep in the boat are spotless....otherwise the terry covers would work..

I hear ya; I've used Bleech White and a scrub brush, then leave them out in the sunshine, but still use the terry covers for the dock bumpers... They do get beat up over time, but just restitch or replace as needed (my wife has a few sewing machines, so easy and inexpensive to make). I have found that "dirty", uncovered bumpers (at other peoples docks) will leave scuffs and scratches on colored gel coat (if not properly aligned with the boat rub-rail).

I have found that "dirty", uncovered bumpers (at other peoples docks) will leave scuffs and scratches on colored gel coat (if not properly aligned with the boat rub-rail).

You are exactly right. just that white plastic the bumpers is made out of will scratch your gel bigtime, especially over prolonged periods of wake action against a dock, or at tie ups against other boats. You gotta do you best to center the majority of the fender action against the rubrail if possible. And I also use the terry slip over covers.

To clean: Mr Clean Magic Eraser in the kitchen sink, nothing crazy, takes 5 mins.

• Like 1

It is never to late to teach an old dog new tricks....keep them coming....getting some good ideas here...

guess the wife has a project coming, terry cloth covers to match the boat....oh yeah...

It is never to late to teach an old dog new tricks....keep them coming....getting some good ideas here...

guess the wife has a project coming, terry cloth covers to match the boat....oh yeah...

Either draw-strings or elastic in the ends; and machine washable :).

JB

Do you think your wife would mind making me a few???? If so I’ll take a set in G3 and a set in G4, would like in “RED” .

Lol…. or should I say, "It is never to late to teach an old dog new tricks" woof woof.... :rofl:

pete

I am talking the air filled bumper/fenders.... Like TAYLOR MADE bumpers....not trailer fenders....

so, are we still talking the same tonic...because I have never waxed a set of air filled boat bumpers...

Yeah,

I know.

I was just cutting and pasting what info. I had saved which was specifically for cleaning a boat hull.

Seems like you have lots of good ideas here. Think I'll save this thread to my secret stash.