Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$300 to spend on new surfboard

dtrost27

I just wanted to get some recommendations on what surfboards are good for that price range. I've never wakesurfed before and don't plan on going pro anytime soon. I also don't want just a beginner board. Looking for something I can have fun on as I progress.

So, if you had $300 to spend what would you buy? Thanks

Hyperlite Swell. Fastest cheapie board Ive ridden. Goes against common thought that you need a bigger longer board for bigger guys. Nope. Guys can go ropeless on this easier than most.

225lb guys ride this board and its faster than all the other dogs: Broadcast etc etc. Im 195, this board is fun.. Its a little squirly for beginners... but if you can get up on it, it"ll have you ropeless before most other cheapie boards.

Edited by nyryan2001

The Hyperlite Broadcast is the by far the best board I have ever owned. We have taught hundreds of people to go rope less on this board and I still enjoy riding it today. It can be used for spins, shove-its, nose riding, fire hydrants, sitting ducks and just general carving! Make sure to get the 5'4''.

31HARncSYYL.jpg

Hyperlite Swell. Fastest cheapie board Ive ridden. Goes against common thought that you need a bigger longer board for bigger guys. Nope. Guys can go ropeless on this easier than most.

225lb guys ride this board and its faster than all the other dogs: Broadcast etc etc. Im 195, this board is fun.. Its a little squirly for beginners... but if you can get up on it, it"ll have you ropeless before most other cheapie boards.

The Hyperlite Broadcast is the by far the best board I have ever owned. We have taught hundreds of people to go rope less on this board and I still enjoy riding it today. It can be used for spins, shove-its, nose riding, fire hydrants, sitting ducks and just general carving! Make sure to get the 5'4''.

31HARncSYYL.jpg

Going to have to disagree completely with these two. Sorry guys. I'm by no means a pro either but the general consensus is wakeboard companies don't make good wake surfs. I've ridden the broadcast and it's good to learn on and that's it! I currently own a Walker project Composite X that I bought off someone from the crew brand new and it cost me $250 (smoking deal). Look for a deal and get something far better than the broadcast. once I rod this board the broadcast seemed as fun as surfing on a wakeboard (bindings and all). I would seriously recommend getting a surf company board, others will have great suggestions as they have tried a lot. You only learn to wakesurf once, you'll be progressing and riding "forever" so get something that's fun to ride, not just easy to learn on. There are lots of good mid range boards that you can find for $300 if you look in the right places.

• Like 1

Going to have to disagree completely with these two. Sorry guys.

Have you ridden the Swell, entirely different than the broadcast. Dont get them confused. Entirely different board. I have a Brodcast in my garage and I hate it.

Have you ridden the Swell, entirely different than the broadcast. Dont get them confused. Entirely different board. I have a Brodcast in my garage and I hate it.

No I haven't. The "wakeboard companies don't make good surfs" was based on the consensus I've gotten from sites like this only. The broadcast I have tried and the experience backed up the consensus. I figured people with more experience would take it from here.

No I haven't. The "wakeboard companies don't make good surfs" was based on the consensus I've gotten from sites like this only.

ive got probrably 75+ hrs on the Swell, on my 2nd one due to wearing the first out, and ive used, tried and demo'd prob 20-30 boards...been wakesurfing since 2006, perhaps behing 15-20 different boats, I donno. Been on boats with inland surfers, Phase 5 and other high end ones and chose the swell to ride because back to back same wave they were not as fast as the Swell. I grew up surfing in Daytona Beach. I have 4 wakesurfers in my garage now. My main riding buddy here just bought a IS, but have a feeling it wont be as fast... as expensive as they are i hope I am wrong. I am always looking for a faster board, yet to find one, and everyone.... except, well for a couple buddies back at Lake Anna agree with me on this... when they ride it back to back compared to others.

If we want this site to have value, and folks to lend experience where they have it, suggest you dont shoot from the hip with your comments if you dont know for sure of have experience, generalizations. This is what sets this forum apart from others such as Wakeworld etc. My opinion above is just that.... like many others. But credibility is easily lost by shooting from the hip.

Edited by nyryan2001

ive got probrably 75+ hrs on the Swell, on my 2nd one due to wearing the first out, and ive used, tried and demo'd prob 20-30 boards...been wakesurfing since 2006, perhaps behing 15-20 different boats, I donno. Been on boats with inland surfers, Phase 5 and other high end ones and chose the swell to ride because back to back same wave they were not as fast as the Swell. I grew up surfing in Daytona Beach. I have 4 wakesurfers in my garage now. My main riding buddy here just bought a IS, but have a feeling it wont be as fast... as expensive as they are i hope I am wrong. I am always looking for a faster board, yet to find one, and everyone.... except, well for a couple buddies back at Lake Anna agree with me on this... when they ride it back to back compared to others.

If we want this site to have value, and folks to lend experience where they have it, suggest you dont shoot from the hip with your comments if you dont know for sure of have experience, generalizations. This is what sets this forum apart from others such as Wakeworld etc. My opinion above is just that.... like many others. But credibility is easily lost by shooting from the hip.

You boat on Lake Anna? I live in Harrisonburg and I have a buddy that goes over there all the time. I personally have never been but I was hoping to this summer.

My local sports shop went out of business yesterday and I picked up a CWB Benz for $30. Not bad eh? I was able to stay $270 under my budget. lol

• Like 1

just yesterday..... back to back on the same wave. Inland Surfer Mucus vs Swell. Swell hands down was faster, had to brake the entire time. Mucus was a fun board, very poppy and light... but

You boat on Lake Anna? I live in Harrisonburg and I have a buddy that goes over there all the time. I personally have never been but I was hoping to this summer.

not anymore, lived there 08-2011 ish.... What a blast that lake is... warm, clean and protected from wind. perfect boat lake. HUGE part spot, big football field sized sandbar. Give it a try over memorial Day, what a blast!

I'll be on Smith Mountain Lake over Memorial Weekend this year. I'll have to make it over to Anna sometime this summer though. Thanks for all the info and help!

My local sports shop went out of business yesterday and I picked up a CWB Benz for $30. Not bad eh? I was able to stay $270 under my budget. lol

Sweet, can't go wrong at that price!