Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Change out JBL MBB?

PyleDriver

I have a 2008 247 LSV with the JBL black box. The USB will not support newer iPods.

Is there a replacment box that can still use the remotes and Maliview control and utilize the newer USB devices?

Was there ever a update to the jBL box?

Thanks

Mike

So I actually work for Harman which owns JBL and I did some internal research. Seems that JBL contracted with prospec to build the MBB. I contacted this company and here was the response:

"The closest thing to what you have now is the MBB-2020 http://www.prospecelectronics.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=158
This would require the replacement of the current remotes, the good news is the remotes have not changed dimensionally speaking. However their data path has, as we now use RS485. If your are using the Medallion muck switches these would no longer work. As for iPhone/ipod connectivity we have gone all wireless so these would connect via bluetooth."
Based on this I think I will just add a BlueTooth adapter to the aux input and that will work for newer iphones and iPods. Harman makes a really great sounding Bluetooth dongle:

Looks like a great little unit. Question. It uses a 5V input for powering the unit. How are you thinking of adapting this to work with a 12v system? Will the unit plug into a USB port, or is the power adaptor 110v A/C type?

Looks like a great little unit. Question. It uses a 5V input for powering the unit. How are you thinking of adapting this to work with a 12v system? Will the unit plug into a USB port, or is the power adaptor 110v A/C type?

I will use either the USB port from the system or put a cig adapter that has USB ports. I am pretty sure that the USB port from the MBB will supply enough power so it should be pretty clean. I have a Cig adapter with two USB ports that will work to power this and give another port to charge my iPhone. USB is 5v.

MP

• 4 months later...

I have a 2009 VTX with a JBL MBB-3.4

The boat also has maliview with stereo controls & a remote in the walk through.

can this unit MBB-2020 be used to replace exhisting and still have maliview compatability.

the original unit has water damage.

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this thread? I just picked up an 09 VLX with the JBL MBB and its terrible. What are my options? Are there any alternative units that fit JBL helm location and provide an OEM look?

• 2 years later...

I have a 2008 LSV and my JBL black box/MBB head unit won't power up.  Hoping it's just a fuse somewhere...  But assuming the worst, is there anything out there today that would basically plug and play?    

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to see if there is an update to this thread. 

I have the JBL Model MBB-3.4 and am looking to add an AUX to Bluetooth connection. The BTA 10 that is linked in this thread looks like it would work perfect but I'm wondering if anyone has connected it to the USB from the back of the JBL MBB-3.4 and if the USB powers the BTA 10?  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks for any advice on a permanent and clean AUX to Bluetooth connection to this unit...

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

any follow up on this thread? 

My driver control panel for the JBL MBB-3.4 has a sticky volume button and may look at replacing the control panel, what would be my option if the control panel is no longer available?

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 5:49 AM, pawter1970 said:

Hi guys,

any follow up on this thread? 

My driver control panel for the JBL MBB-3.4 has a sticky volume button and may look at replacing the control panel, what would be my option if the control panel is no longer available?

Any luck? I have a sticky volume up button as well, need to replace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is exactly why I'm just getting rid of the entire MBB and wired remotes (transom).  I'm going to just pull the black box and big remote installed at the walk thru bow strbrd side, order some 1/4" white HPDE (or whatever color your upholstery is there) and screw it down since this area will have a hole from the main stereo unit.  Once I fabricate something nice, I will install a new Gauge style digital media center and purchase the inline remotes that go with these for the transom.  I figure I can do all this with remotes for under $375.  I do understand this won't work for my MUX stereo controls but hell I never used those anyways.  I have an Exile ZLD mounted under the helm for my main volume control and if I need to pause anything, it's all sourced from my phone.