Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PSA: new Fosgate stereo with bluetooth now available

bamabonners

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=428204

This is the updated source unit that has bluetooth and ipod controls. It says it is compatible with the current touchscreen so it should be an easy replacement option.

bluetooth dongle: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=428205

Edited by bamabonners

Wow good find!

Anybody have any background on any reasons this wouldn't work in a 2011 VTX?

The install looks like it would be easy, my boats still in storage for another 20 days or so. Anyone have one handy to see if this is something that's as plug and play as I hope it is?

Great! My new TXi is getting obsolete already....LOL......

I'll have to ask my dealer on this one.

Bama, Do you know the cost??

That's awesome.

I just ordered it and the dongle. I'll post any successes or issues that I have.

Been looking for a way to connect via blue tooth that keeps it as factory as possible. This is awesome.

• Like 1

So I'm ready to swap mine out on my 2010, and wondering if the head unit will fit in the stock hole?? Looking at the pics, the older unit looks smaller, but comparing hole lines it actually may be the same size. Anyone know the answer to this question? My dealer wasn't sure, but said roughly $500 buy and install if so.

Well I can't seem to upload the pics. Too big maybe?? The old unit is the JBL(?) chrome one. I did some searches on pics and the hole looks to be the same size.

Edited by Wake23LSV

Wetsounds is coming out with a bluetooth option that will plug right into the 420SQ. Not sure how this Fosgate unit would play with a 420 setup. I'm going to hold off for the Wetsound option.

Ok, how about this: Can someone tell me the opening size, height and width, for a rear mounted Rockford head unit? That might be an easier way for me to determine weather it will fit or not. Thanks guys.

Wetsounds is coming out with a bluetooth option that will plug right into the 420SQ. Not sure how this Fosgate unit would play with a 420 setup. I'm going to hold off for the Wetsound option.

it would pay the same way your fm does or the usb from the black box.

though I am interested to see the wetsounds solution too.

So I'm ready to swap mine out on my 2010, and wondering if the head unit will fit in the stock hole?? Looking at the pics, the older unit looks smaller, but comparing hole lines it actually may be the same size. Anyone know the answer to this question? My dealer wasn't sure, but said roughly $500 buy and install if so.

Well I can't seem to upload the pics. Too big maybe?? The old unit is the JBL(?) chrome one. I did some searches on pics and the hole looks to be the same size.

Remote unit RFXMR5BB: $77.29 shipped new from two different merchants - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005PMHUJW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Black Box (the new one) RFX5000: $233.95 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Rfx5000-Marine-Digital/dp/B00C9H84L4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1365773381&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=rfx5000

Bluetooth Dongle RFXBT: $84.99 - only found it for MSRP

Under $400 out the door in parts. I am betting the swap is pretty easy.

Remote unit RFXMR5BB: $77.29 shipped new from two different merchants - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005PMHUJW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Black Box (the new one) RFX5000: $233.95 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Rfx5000-Marine-Digital/dp/B00C9H84L4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1365773381&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=rfx5000

Bluetooth Dongle RFXBT: $84.99 - only found it for MSRP

Under $400 out the door in parts. I am betting the swap is pretty easy.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll order this stuff today and I'm going to just hope I can make the head unit fit in the old hole :-o

Thanks for the info. I think I'll order this stuff today and I'm going to just hope I can make the head unit fit in the old hole :-o

You should be fine. the "head unit" on the dash is just a glorifed transom remote. the black box is the brains.

Any updates on this? I heard that possibly the 2013 Bu's come with the newer black box so all we need is dongle?

that is the way understand it. Just need someone with a 2013 to look on the black box and see what model it is.

I just ordered the stuff for just under $400 through a combo of Amazon and eBay. I'll post back up when I get it installed. Could be a while though ;-) Thanks for the info guys. Love this forum!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my dealer check to see if I could upgrade simply by switching the black box & adding the bluetooth receiver. Short answer: No

My dealer talked to one of the engineers at Malibu and was told that the wiring harness in my boat would have to be replaced in order for the box to work.

That makes no sense to me. I'll be making the switch soon and will report. Mine is even older being the JBL box and HU. I checked all the connections at the box and they are the same. The cable for my old box to HU is the only thing that will need swapped and re-run. I would think the only problem I might have is the Malivue stereo controls, which I don't use anyway. We'll see...

I swapped out the RFX3000 that came with my 2013 VLX for an RFX5000 last night. The two units are a direct and simple swap. I swapped the units since I had elevated static noise on the RCA outputs of my RFX3000. The RFX5000 solved the static noise issue, but now the MaliView controller input is causing my sub to hum. I've disconnected the input from MaliView and the hum is gone, but it would be nice to have the option to use the MaliView to control my stereo (I like the mute button on the MaliView). I suspect I have a ground loop issue that is affecting the sub RCA outputs on the HU. Not sure how to solve this since the maliview is on the other side of the boat and it is not so easy to reroute it's ground and power supply.

What are isolators and would they work for this problem?

Edited by Cory

Any updates on this? I heard that possibly the 2013 Bu's come with the newer black box so all we need is dongle?

that is the way understand it. Just need someone with a 2013 to look on the black box and see what model it is.

The 2013 I looked at the dongle input on the BB. The OEM BT piggy-backed into the BB's AUX.

• 1 year later...