Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Giving up on HU reviews! HU suggestions?

91Sunsetter

I am running in circles trying to find a HU/transom remote combo that people aren't complaining about. I would just run the WS420, but I constantly change volume and songs from the transom while in the water at the sandbar!! I have the alpine cda-9886M, MC10, and MC20 in my old malibu but started having a few problems last summer when I only had it for a year. Plus reviews agree with unhappiness with product.

Suggestions please!!!!

Guessing brand specific comments will be few and far between cause of forum hush hush rules. Fingers are crossed.

We've done really well with the 9886, MC remotes, a M1RF remote (gets the most use out of anything), and a ws420. I've put it into several buddies boats and had no issues at all, pretty slick system. Maybe I need to read up on some of these other issues.
That being said, we're going to build this new MXZ without a HU at all. I'm skeptical, but the guys I ride with regularly have me convinced the HU is nothing but a big volume knob (we dont use am/fm, CD, or anything else really), so we're gonna try without for now. Can always ad one later.

For me eliminating the HU isnt as big a concern as eliminating the RF remote that goes with it.

If not for the 9886 I'm not sure what I'd go with, maybe a kenwood 555u or 700, maybe a clarion 502, but I have very little experience with those two.

I keep coming back to alpine. But its a serious investment to have to buy all 3 components when I dont really need any of them! :-( "Could spend that on more speakers or LEDs!!!!!!!" What about some sort of waterproof remote I can take into the water??? I just would hate to get out of the water everytime time: the system is a little too loud or too quiet, or terrible song comes up(cusing with the wrong crowd)....

Most probably come with some cheesy little remote correct? I want to be able to swim with it. What is the most waterproof HU? It will be exposed to rain for sure!

That being said, we're going to build this new MXZ without a HU at all. I'm skeptical, but the guys I ride with regularly have me convinced the HU is nothing but a big volume knob (we dont use am/fm, CD, or anything else really), so we're gonna try without for now. Can always ad one later.

I'm interested in your idea about not having a HU. I'd love to do a system with an ipad taking over that function. Have you figured out how you're going to do it?

I have the clarion m502 with 2 remotes looks and works great. The thing I don't like is the out puts it only has 2 no sub out put. I made it work but if you have the ws420 it want matter. No matter what HU you get make sure it has Bluetooth priceless. The M502 has it.

What about eq to Bluetooth and a lifeproof iPhone case?

I have a few visitors on the boat that do this or tie a clear waterproof pouch to the grab handle if we are swimming. With Bluetooth as my only music source, we move the iPhone/iPad around a lot if we are tied up or at the dock. We might be two or three boats away from our's and still can control the music through a waterproof pouch.

I ended up getting the Kenwood KMR-700U and the KCA-RC107MR, both brand new for $320! ipx rated, so should be as waterproof as it gets. Units arrived and look to be of good quality build!