Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo System Suggestions

ShannonBU

Husband and I just boat a new to us 06 Malibu 247 and the previous owner removed all stereo equipment so he could transfer it to his new one. So the husband said to get some ideas and see what we can come up. We are super excited about or new boat and can't wait til its warm enough to get on the water. So what kind of stuff should we look for in a stereo, what brand of speakers and amplifiers are good? I know the stuff isn't that cheap and we left ourselves a good chunk to use towards the stereo. We like to wakeboard, surf and party it up in the cove. Just need some ideas from you guys where to get it from. I have been watching this site since the husband said he wanted to get a malibu boat.

Shannon

:welcome:

Do a search on speakers and amps. I used Rockford fosgate for inside boat speakers.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_series.aspx?catid=59

Sub I went with the rockford P3 12" sub under the dash drivers side. This thing will do all you can want. I had to waterproof the box.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=120451

Tower I did the XM9s

http://www.bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=975

http://www.bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=1021

Wet sound is good also.

http://www.wetsounds.com

If you are on a tight budget these kickers are a good choice.

http://www.kicker.com/km65002

On the tower do you want to hear it wakeboarding or just surfing and in the cove. Don't really need the bigger speaker if its just surfing and cove.

Many other ways and brands that are good sure others will chime in. Congrats we like PICS. :rockon:

Please let us know what ur budget is will make a Hugh suggestion on what we recommend. I would go with Wetsounds if u want ur boat to rock the whole lake. I can get u a smoking deal on wetsounds Pm me for prices if interested

Shannon,

Are you and your husband or a friend going to do the installation? Or, do you have a local mobile electronics dealer that you will depend on for the installation.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, have not been around a computer in the past week or more other than doing my taxes, me the procrastinator. Well the hubby and I have been cleaning and gutting our new BU. Since the previous owner kept all of his stereo equipment, the hubby decided to rip out all the stereo wiring and start from scratch. We did take it out once and enjoyed it, but we really need some tunes in a bad way. So the following couple of days, I researched what some of you guys had recommended as well as read other threads from others in the same situation as us. Called up our local dealer which carries, JL Audio, Exile and Wet Sounds. First was to check out the JL Audio stuff, Kohl (hubby) has always ran this stuff in his vehicles since he could drive and has a great reputation and wanted to give them the first try. We liked them alot, not a bad looking tower speaker, sounded really good up close but didn't seem to have the volume from a distance. Quite pricey for what you get. Then we stepped over to listen to the Exile xm9, these things were much louder, actually sounded too bright for me, very harsh sounding. Also wasn't a fan of all the chrome on the grill area and the actually housing felt very cheap compared to the JL Audio and the Wet Sounds. The volume was ok until they turned on the Wet Sounds. The REV 8 was very nice sounding like th JL Audio, but got so much louder than the JL and the Exile. Then they turned on the REV 10, just to see the look on Kohls face was the answer, I knew that we found what we wanted. They were unbelievable in sound quality and mid bass compared to the JL and Exile, and the volume was unreal, crisp clean and sounded like a concert.

So after listening to them all, Wet Sounds was hands down the winner. It was great close up for when we surf and plenty of volume and crisp sound for when we are boarding or tied up in the party cove. Since we got a great deal on our boat, Kohl had set aside a certain amount of money for stereo, boards, gear and little things needed for boating. Now that we have heard the REV 10's, we are going with a full Wet Sounds system. Going to try their new SD amps and their interior speakers with the leds built in. Still not sure what to do about the sub. Since we are doing such a big system, Kohl wants alot of bass and do it right the first time. Dealer was suggesting (2) of the Wet Sounds XS-12's or one of their Triple X subs. Kohl keeps wanting to go back to JL Audio on the sub, but if we are doing all Wet Sounds stuff I don't want to mix match. What would work best? Two subs or just the one Triple X. Is it possible to fit (2) Triple X's under the dash off our boat? After we got home from the dealer we both looked up Wet Sounds online and scrolled through their website. Kohl liked the idea of ordering everything from our local dealer, but glad we looked at all the options that they have. Remeber he stripped the boat of all the stereo wires and power cables. Dealer didn't mention that we could actually get led rings on our REV 10's. Kohl was most impressed with the wiring options. He will have to explain to me more what he liked about it and I will get back with you guys about it. So what do you guys think? Are we missing anything?

Shannon

That is exactly the correct way to shop for speakers Shannon. Nice comprehensive review too!

Most are using one large sub in a ported box under the helm like the XXX on a lot of power. Putting two down there is an option and some have done it but you may lose leg room.

Search here and wakeworld for sub or subwoofer installs. Lots of pics out there.

Shannon,

Pertaining to the subwoofer, and regardless of the brand/model you choose, I strongly recommend only one sub location. Why just one location? Because the different distances/arrival times of two subs in different locations around the boat degrades the quality.

Select the best available location underneath the driver's console. Every other location is a compromise and tends to diminish the return on investment as compared to the first, best and primary sub location.

Also, the enclosure has as much to do with the bass performance as the subwoofer itself. Forcing two woofers in a small space usually means a less than perfect enclosure. And that will not perform as well as a single sub in an optimized enclosure.

David

Shannon,

Pertaining to the subwoofer, and regardless of the brand/model you choose, I strongly recommend only one sub location. Why just one location? Because the different distances/arrival times of two subs in different locations around the boat degrades the quality.

Select the best available location underneath the driver's console. Every other location is a compromise and tends to diminish the return on investment as compared to the first, best and primary sub location.

Also, the enclosure has as much to do with the bass performance as the subwoofer itself. Forcing two woofers in a small space usually means a less than perfect enclosure. And that will not perform as well as a single sub in an optimized enclosure.

David

Thank you so much for the info on this David, very helpful and also may have just saved us some money.

Malibu 247 with a 4cf slot vented enclosure, 15" sub under the driver's console. I can just about guarantee you 1 quality sub, 10", 12" or 15" done right (enclosure, amp, wiring) will satisfy 99% of anyone out there.

6855371080_77e5c42b86.jpg

6855376040_c2479f9bb9.jpg

7001480491_d5f1de1a2e.jpg

This thread does not smell any worse or any better than any of the other threads going on in the past year. It is noticeable by many when a poster gets on the forum with less than 5 posts and starts talking about stereo brands....happens with all camps. Also interesting how those that are about to spend money on a system get on here and really "talk it up" or "start helping out" maybe in leiu of a discount on equipment. Both sides do it, I have been party to it in the past....not placeing blame just giving some explanation to the "fishiness" of some of these threads.

I would love to see a "pay to play" in the stereo forum or at least minimum post count before you could post in the stereo forum.

Edited by Murphy8166