Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

American Bass....

jimmy191990

Well I just bought two American Bass XFL 15's in ported box. They are 2x4 OHM 1,000 RMS a piece. I paid $400. Not sure if that was a good deal but to me it seemed like a good deal. I plan on buying the amp as well witch is the American Bass VFL 150.1 (2900 watts) for $400. Is that a good deal or should I look for a better one. I want a system thats going to pound harder then your everyday system something your going to really feel. Opinions the subs, Amp, How many batteries, and what you think please

Never heard of that brand so can't comment on that part, but make sure to get an amp that pushes the appropriate rms to each sub.

American Bass makes some great stuff. Problem will be getting enough supply power to the amp. 200amp draw from that amp will be tough to support in a boat that probably has an 80-105amp alternator (guessing since you didn't say which boat it is). My old 94 boat has a 50 amp. Would need to upgrade that first and then add a bank of batteries besides.

At 14 volts and enough supply amperage you should see almost 2000 watts.

At 16 volts and enough supply amperage you would see almost 3000 watts. Not too many people running 16 volts in a boat though. SPL systems usually. Can't comment on sound quality, but should be loud if you do the proper supporting mods.

Jimmy,

Two 15s in a ported box is gigantic...you could bury Shaq in a box that big. Not sure what compartment that would fit in. Are we even talking in a boat?

David

Jimmy,

Two 15s in a ported box is gigantic...you could bury Shaq in a box that big. Not sure what compartment that would fit in. Are we even talking in a boat?

David

+1 that's waaaay over 6 cu ft and you aren't fitting that anywhere in a malibu.

Slalom skiers often take the back seat out. Might fit there. Of course you're never going to open the engine cover. But I think what you're probably hinting at is who ever sold him two 15's is probably not delivering a properly engineered box.

A single 15" in a ported box is going to take up just about all of the space under the helm and that is if you have no heater or anything else under there. So if you have a ported box for (2) 15"s you can double that. If the box is not that big you are going to be giving up a lot somewhere in either SQL or SPL depending on how it's tuned and its actual size. If it is that big......better get a second boat to tow behind just for that sub! (just kidding) Like said above.....power for this will be a premium! One 1000 watt amp will draw ~80 amps of current from the electrical system at ~3/4 to full power. You can definitely feel 1000 watts! 2900 would be rediculous. If you are building a sound system for a party barge, maybe. If you are dead set on using this equipment......pull one of the 15"s and build a custom fitted box for under the helm, get a 1000 WRMS class D mono block to drive it and sell the rest.