Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I need options for a new sub in a 2013 23lsv

Ottomatic

I ordered my new 23 lsv and it will be here next week, I ordered it with sound pack 3 but no sub. I have already decided I and going to put 2 pair of rev 8s on the tower but I don't know what sub to do?? My 11 lsv had the factory sub and I thought it was ok at best. I will be mounting it in the factory location and will have a custom box made for it but what sub should I do and what amp do you think will work best?? I am very uneducated about stereo equipment so please dumb it down for me!!

If you will be having a custom box made you should consult the person building their box to see what they recommend or can even offer you. Most car stereo shops don't know jack about installing a marine application and usually fail miserably when they try.

a 12" sub either sealed or ported is the most common, but stepping up to a 15" sealed or ported is a whole new world. Power wise that totally depends on the equipment and application used, not to mention the reserves you have on tap for it. Anywhere from 750-2500 watts is what you'll want to be throwing at it, you'll obviously need a sub that matches up to those power ratings as well.

Edited by Bobby Light

I agree and this guy seems like he knows what he is doing, he does all the installs for our local dealer. He likes the factory sub and that is the only thing that worries me!! I just wanted some input from the crew because i am sure someone has already been thought it!!

Will you be buying the sub from him as well? The reason I ask is because if he sells a certain line of subs he'll have more experience with them to include the box building aspect (one of the most important). Building you a box for a sub he knows nothing about might no impress you. However building a good sealed box rarely fails to impress unless it's underpowered or tuned wrong.

Ottomatic,

You can't over-learn or arrive at fixed ideas based on a sample or two of poor execution.

Any number of otherwise good subwoofers can sound bad in the wrong enclosure. The factory HDPE enclosures fall way short. And rarely are factory systems tuned well (gain, crossover, etc).

You are likely to get very different results from the same woofer in a correctly designed and built enclosure.

If your local installer has experience with a particular product and is confident in his ability to get the most from it, I would give him the green light.

David

So I just met with my local audio shop, he is recommending doing 2 JL 10's with a sinister amp running the 4 rev 8 and the subs what do you guys think this?? I was thinking I wanted one 12 but my installer recommends two 10's??

Ottomatic,

Strictly by the numbers, if we compared the same series of the same brand, two 10-inch woofers have about one/third more surface area than one 12-inch woofer. That equates to about 1 dB more output in favor of the two 10s if the amplifier power is the same. It's a difference but not a big one.

The single 12-inch would have a slightly lower resonance while the two 10s would be a little more responsive. Possibly the largest difference is that the two 10s will not need near the excursion to equal the output of a single 12. And that means more control. Usually the subwoofer system that operates the most conservatively sounds the best.

David