Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problems with Bluetooth on Mobile Device Gateway 2013

SurfgateBob

Hi all,

I didn't see a thread on this specifically. I was wondering if other Crew users have had the same problem I have, and if they have, if there's a fix. My dealer is going to have the rep contact me for the below problem, but I figured I'd ask the experts here first!

I have a 2013 LSV with 0 hours on it :-)

1. Mobile device gateway
    1. Iphone 5 will not pair, running IOS 6.1.3 (10B329) unless the following procedure is followed
      1. Turn on bluetooth on the boat, after the boat is on
      2. Try to pair phone by selecting Mobile Device Gateway. Wait for it to fail.
      3. Turn off boat, leave the phone on the same screen
      4. Turn the boat back on, then it will pair
      5. Be pissed at your very expensive boat not having the same feature that a Kia has, contact dealer, rage about it online :-)

Having same exact problem with iPhone 4. This was an issue during my boat demo - they said the trick was to re-pair it every time, fully turn off boat then back on again. I've tried it 6 ways til Sunday and it works about 10% of the time. If you find a fix let me know - I have been waiting for software update, perhaps there is one out there now? Website still down.

We have had the same problem with i5... Works about 50% of the time. I found the best way is to turn everything off including battery switch off and that seems to reset it until it lapses/loses connection again. I will be taking back to the dealer hours away in about a month after we get 20-25 hrs on her.

Thought I'd update the thread. I contacted Medallion. They told me that new software was currently under testing at Malibu to fix some of the bluetooth problems. Since my boat may be currently the newest one available, it appears that the new software is not in the boat.

My version of software is: 01440-4

To find, in the Malibu Touch Control go to the switch screen. Then to setup. In setup you will find about SMARTTOUCH it will be in there.

Currently waiting for Medallion to tell me if this is the newest software or if there is a new patch available. Once I have more info I'll post it here. I was annoyed by this and am glad they're helping me out.

Bob

Thought I'd update the thread. I contacted Medallion. They told me that new software was currently under testing at Malibu to fix some of the bluetooth problems. Since my boat may be currently the newest one available, it appears that the new software is not in the boat.

My version of software is: 01440-4

To find, in the Malibu Touch Control go to the switch screen. Then to setup. In setup you will find about SMARTTOUCH it will be in there.

Currently waiting for Medallion to tell me if this is the newest software or if there is a new patch available. Once I have more info I'll post it here. I was annoyed by this and am glad they're helping me out.

Bob

Thanks that is good info!

Had it out, tried everything. Boat fully off/on, battery switch off/on, phone off/on, bluetooth off/on - nothing would work. I have successfully paired it before so I know it works somehow, but no luck yesterday.

Really hope this software fix works - and if not I would assume Malibu would warranty this and swap out with something?

Quick update - Medallion has reached out but told me that the touch software version number isn't relevant... need to figure out the MDG version. They'll hopefully let me know how to figure that out today!

Helpful folks over there. They said they are able to pair at their office no problem. Hopefully this means there's a fix available. TBD. Stay tuned!

Any update here?

Some. It appears that those that have "revision D" of the MDG will need it replaced with revision E. this must be done by the dealer. This fix will hopefully fix the need to power cycle the boat.

Second, I learned that the re-connection of a phone each time you enter the boat is as designed. The feedback from Medallion was that they envisioned a situation with many different riders with the boat being a kind of receiver. I would prefer the "get in my car and it works" use case as I assume many will. As it is, every time you want to use your phone with the MDG you will have to select it in the settings menu. Not the end of the world, but I wish I'd known.

Unfortunately it seems there is no way to get the "car" experience with the MDG. If you want that you'll have to buy a Bluetooth dongle and pipe it through the aux.

I get my boat back from having the trailer tires replaced and the tie down mounts moved tomorrow and the dealer will inspect whether I have revision D or not.

By the way, the MDG is near where all the amps are and the only way to tell what revision you're running is to go in there and look at it.

I'm also a little worried that in the future phones will not be compatible as software changes. Since the MDG is not software upgradeable you'd be stuck.

If I had it to do over again I'm thinking as it is the MDG is not worth it. I'll reserve judgement until I see the fixes, though.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd put up a brief update.

Malibu is going to warranty my MDG as it appears that there is some kind of bug in it. I takled to the Malibu rep on Monday and he also suggested reseating the connectors to the MDG as they are notoriously difficult to install.

I need to double check, but I believe the problem may be limited to the first time I turn the battery switches on.

Good news for those of us whose boats are far away from their dealers is that there are just two screws to replace the MDG. After that it appears the wiring harness can be snapped out/in with a little effort.

Bob

Update:

I replaced old MDG with a new one, and it works great! Old MDG had a date from Feb on it, I believe.

FYI for those looking to locate their MDG: it's a small black box near the amps.

I've had a chance to play with my MDG to stream music the last two nights (only in the garage) and it works great! No complaints. You are correct that each time you turn off & on the boat, I have to go into settings on my iPhone and manually select the connect button associated with the saved profile of the MDG. But, that's it. If there are six people in the boat and everyone has a Bluetooth phone, I can see this being the right way to do it.

Edited by Cory

Is it mounted on the amp board up and to the right of the black box HU? Or, else where?

Update:

I replaced old MDG with a new one, and it works great! Old MDG had a date from Feb on it, I believe.

FYI for those looking to locate their MDG: it's a small black box near the amps.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this problem but figured it out, the boat has to be on BUT NOT running. just in on mode to were you can type your password in. I feel like it works like cars won't let you sync when not in park. but I haven't had a problem after figuring this out.

I have received two zip-files with software updates. One for mailview - a smart-touch file, and the other is for the touch-pad (viper). I have not had a minute of time to try and install these, not sure if they work, but I've got them! PM me if you want me to email you the files. Not sure how I can post them here.

I have found that the MDG is finicky to connect to. Sometimes I turn the boat on and no problem connecting my iPhone 4GS. The other 50% of the time, I turn the boat on and my phone won't connect. I have to press the power button (power cycle the dash), then the phone will connect on the second try guarranteed. This is rather annoying. Any solution???

• 1 month later...

I heard there is a new flash update for the dash, which might help these connection issues. I should be getting my boat back from my dealer soon, so I'll find out. Is Malibu replacing the MDG because of these connection issues? Before I sent my boat in for the break in service, the MDG was giving me connection problems about 100% of the time.

I heard there is a new flash update for the dash, which might help these connection issues. I should be getting my boat back from my dealer soon, so I'll find out. Is Malibu replacing the MDG because of these connection issues? Before I sent my boat in for the break in service, the MDG was giving me connection problems about 100% of the time.

Your dealer should have the Service Advisory on this, if the software is updated and there are still connection issues the MGD needs replaced. Mine is on order, so I don't have a report at this time.

I get my boat back this evening (or tomorrow), so I'll find out if the software update makes a difference. Else, I'll ask the dealer to order the updated one for me. I'd probably just have them ship it to me, since it's 6.5 hrs of driving (total: there & back, there & back) everytime I take my boat to the dealer.

I'll post by this weekend with the results.

I'm on my third version E and it seems ok. I will not hold my breath, though. Maybe my dealer can order another MDG for me. Does anyone with the F have any feedback?