Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 VLX Johnson pump location

jesutton3

I'm planning on mounting three of the Johnson reversible pumps for additional ballast.

I have a few ideas on where but I don't want to reinvent the wheel either. What has everyone done so far?

I only have one Johnson, but it/they fit well in the VD well mounted to the wall between the fuel fill hoses with plenty of room to keep from chafing either line. Even with 1" line it is easy to run the short span of hose (4' on mine) from the ball check valve to the pump inlet and then onto the bag. I have seen some guys put them in the locker sides opposite of where I put mine, but I didn't want anything to touch them, loose what little space there is under the seat and they would be easier to service in the VD well if they need arises in IMO. I have a few pics of my install over in the boat house "wdr". Any more questions feel free to ask quite a few of us have already done the Johnson and Pirhana installs. Bill

OK. I was thinking in that area but higher up. I didn't try that far down, but I like it down there. I should be able to get two there and not sure about the third. Might put it somewhere up front.

If it were me. I would make a board to go in the back of the engine compartment up above the silent rider exhaust cross over. Then run all your lines down along the bilge. This will make them easy to work on when the impellers need to be replaced and keep them out of the way for other maintnance work.

If you are going to use the 3rd pump to fill a mid-ship or front bag the space behind the sub box or batteries has plenty of room to mount the pump. If you put a pick-up/ball check valve in with the mid factory fill/drn pumps you might have to drill a hole in the wall of the Fibecs tunnel to run the line from the ball check valve to the pump. The line will run thru the tunnel, up and out of the factory floor vent hole behind the sub/batteries for either location. I say might, because when I put my current set up in I seem to remember there was already a hole in that vicinity on both sides into the tunnel BICBW. Fishing the hose thru the tunnel will be the hardest part of the job, but it makes for a super clean install.

You will have plenty of room and access to run the line into the front bow for a bow bag if you want. I ran my lines to the rear locker right behind and against the wall dividers then secured them with rubber lined "P" clamps screwed into the fiberglass deck. Good luck with the install. Bill