Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Focal Bluetooth Adapter

BSUBU_Kris

Anyone tried this unit.

http://www.focal.com/en/bird/354-universal-wireless-receiver-aptx-3544058821127.html

I am looking for a reliable Bluetooth streaming audio solution. I have tried the Blackberry one and it works good at home but not so good one the boat.

Focal seems to make quality stuff so I was thinking this would be good.

I am also interested in what models people are using and whether they are happy with them.

Thanks

Kris

do you guys wire your bluetooth adapters to the boats power supply or just charge them at night?

good question.... and folks gotta watch this. MANY of the bluetooth adapters CAN be charged while in use.... but when you put the charge on the while in use you introduce a bad charging noise.

I bought the HTC bluetooth everyone was on here raving about a few months back... works great on its own battery. but you plug it in to charge while in use and you get bad noise. Gotta distinguish from here on out which BT adapters can be used under charge without noise.

good question.... and folks gotta watch this. MANY of the bluetooth adapters CAN be charged while in use.... but when you put the charge on the while in use you introduce a bad charging noise.

I bought the HTC bluetooth everyone was on here raving about a few months back... works great on its own battery. but you plug it in to charge while in use and you get bad noise. Gotta distinguish from here on out which BT adapters can be used under charge without noise.

Out of curiosity, are you charging from your stereo battery like you'd wire any other stereo component, or did you just plug it into a usb charging adapter? Wondering whether it's a charging issue or a more typical stereo ground loop issue.

On 12 volt audio equipment there is significant isolation between the supply ground and audio ground. With many portable devices the supply ground and audio ground do not have the same level of isolation and that is the fundamental problem. While I dislike ground loop isolators in general this is often a solution when you have access to the portable audio link. However, if you do not have access to insert such a device on a bluetooth product then you are....less fortuneate.

David

On 12 volt audio equipment there is significant isolation between the supply ground and audio ground. With many portable devices the supply ground and audio ground do not have the same level of isolation and that is the fundamental problem. While I dislike ground loop isolators in general this is often a solution when you have access to the portable audio link. However, if you do not have access to insert such a device on a bluetooth product then you are....less fortuneate.

David

Can someone please translate this to hillbilly for me?

• Like 1

On audio equipment the power supply ground is separate (isolated) from the audio signal grounds.

Many portable devices have shared grounds or not good enough isolation between power and audio.

David (and others) don't like to use ground loop isolators, but it may be a solution in this case-- if you can use it with your wiring configuration.

I think he is saying that if you wanna charge the little BT adapter while using it...without noise..... you gotta power/charge it from the same locations as the HU and the amps if you want to power things correctly. So everything has the same common ground. Yep, I tried to charge mine off the USB plug sitting there right next to it and yes it give me noise.

But I have 2 problems with that.

1. it gives noise even with the engine off. not tracking boats having noise ground loops when the engines arent running. May be wrong here.

2. it gives noise while charging the same way inside the house off of a wall mounted USB charger..... I have one of those Sony Ihome whatevers.... and can pulg the HTC BT adapter and stream music from my Iphone...sound great till you try to plug it in and charge it while it streams. Introduces a charging noise.

Interesting, i have no problem with noise in mine while charging.

Yeah that's what I was looking for. Doesn't sound like reasonable measures will correct the issue with the htc unit. <br /><br />Wonder about the miccus?<br /><br />I have the clarion bLT 370 which is hardwired. No ground noise, but the range is pretty soft.