Sign in to follow this  
tdelandsheer

96 Sunsetter VLX Integrated Ballast

tdelandsheer

I just picked up my '96 VLX and have decided that I am going to add a fully integrated ballast system. I'm planning on adding two 450 lb sacks in the back, 600 lbs in the ski locker, and a Fly high integrated bow sac .

The plan is to use four separate Jabsco pumps with reversible switches from WakeMakers.com. I'm going to use one hole in both the front and back with two pumps off each. On each bag I am going to have one opening go to the pump and the other opening run out the side of the boat with a one way valve as a vent. Using another set of one way valves and "t" connectors, I am going to connect the pump drain to the vent so that the bags will drain out the side of the boat. Using the one way valves I will stop the drain flow from going out the bottom of the boat and instead direct it to go out the vent holes. I have heard of people burning up impelers if they forget to turn of their pumps after draining, and if I can see the water stop hopefully it will remind the driver to turn off the pump.

I plan on getting the rest of my fittings and connectors from WakeMakers as well.

I will add a diagram of my pump system when I figure out how to upload photos, as well as finished system photos when I'm done.

CliffB

That'll be a helluva wake you're throwing off with all that ballast.

Levi900RR

Get 750's for the real locker instead of 450's.

I love your drain plan, I just think its cool to have the drain above the waterline. :rockon:

Edited by Levi900RR

New2Texas

Definitely use 750 for each rear locker.

Levi900RR

I want to see your diagram. I'm not following how you'll make the drain out the side work with one pump unless you have a ball valve that you use to divert the drain flow. Otherwise what will keep you from pumping water straight out your drain when you are filling?

PS, post the pictures you want to photobucket, then link to them here or use the embeded image code.

Edited by Levi900RR

scvlx

Wake makers has a diagram on how this is done. I did my boat with a separate drain and vent per bag (this past winter). I have not had it in the water yet this year.

martinarcher

I drain mine out the bottom and if the boat is sitting still you can audibly hear when the bag is empty...even my wife knows immediately when the bag is empty and reaches for the switch. The problem I can see is turning the pump on to drain a bag while cruising back to the dock. It empties half way back and you spend the rest of the ride chewing up an impeller. Drain above or below the water line, I don't think it will make any difference.

tdelandsheer

This is a quick diagram of the plumbing (sorry for the low paint quality).

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Tyson_DeLandsheer/ballast_zpsd4f15567.gif

It seems like most people are putting all there inlets in the back near there engines. I wanted to put one inlet in the stern end of the ski locker. Am I going to have issues with that?

Edited by tdelandsheer

Levi900RR

AHHHH, moving the pump in front of the Y was the part I was missing. Very cool! I love that idea.