Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone running a Bluetooth head unit

formulaben

Looking to upgrade my head unit to a new unit with Bluetooth for ipod/iphone, generic phone, media player, etc. Does anyone here have one they are happy with?

I have an Alpine iDA-X100M; it does Bluetooth but is an extra module (typical Alpine). It comes with iPhone controls that works pretty well and is iPhone 5 compatiable with the 30 to 8 pin adapter. Also has the best transom remote out there.

I have an Alpine iDA-X100M; it does Bluetooth but is an extra module (typical Alpine). It comes with iPhone controls that works pretty well and is iPhone 5 compatiable with the 30 to 8 pin adapter. Also has the best transom remote out there.

Have you used it with the adapter yet? I ask because I have an isimple ipod/iphone interface in our tow rig with a 30 pin out and it won't do anything with the converter except charge.

The only marine HU with built in bluetooth afaik is the Clarion m502. I've used a sony car bt deck on my old boat (MEX-BT3700U for those keeping score at home) and it worked great. Have used several pioneer BT decks in my vehicles over the years and they also work pretty well.

Have you used it with the adapter yet? I ask because I have an isimple ipod/iphone interface in our tow rig with a 30 pin out and it won't do anything with the converter except charge.

Yes, just this morning actually. I bought two eBay knock-off's, both that claimed to do audio and neither worked (one I have mailed back the other I'm in the return process). I decided to buy a geniune one yesterday (way more expensive) and tried it out. I verified I could pause, play, rewind, fast forward, etc. I also have track info and album art. Pandora was also functional and the phone charged.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Ideally I'd like one with both built-in Bluetooth and XM radio...but I know I'm asking a lot. I don't care about the CD player. I really like the interface of the Fusion MS-IP700. But sadly no Bluetooth. Ugh.

MS-IP_700_-HERO-SIDE_web_11.jpg

MS_IP_700_USB_web_11.jpg

Yes, just this morning actually. I bought two eBay knock-off's, both that claimed to do audio and neither worked (one I have mailed back the other I'm in the return process). I decided to buy a geniune one yesterday (way more expensive) and tried it out. I verified I could pause, play, rewind, fast forward, etc. I also have track info and album art. Pandora was also functional and the phone charged.

hmmm. Might is one of the aforesaid ebay cheapies too. Guess I might need to nut up and spend the $$ at the A store.

I have the M502 I love the bluetooth use it all the I use pandora 95% of the time the cool thing is if I get a call it rings on the radio so I can just answer it through the radio. I added 2 remotes to my boat so that is nice about the M502 also. The only thing I don't like about the head unit is it needs a set of RCAs for the sub. Good Luck!!

Ideally I'd like one with both built-in Bluetooth and XM radio...but I know I'm asking a lot. I don't care about the CD player. I really like the interface of the Fusion MS-IP700. But sadly no Bluetooth. Ugh.

Very few if any head units have built in Sirius or XM tuners. That Fusion (a brand I'd personally have concerns about anyway) is already outdates with its iPod/iPhone interface as it won't work with any current or future iPod or iPhone model. Not good.

The Clarion M502 has Bluetooth built in and a excellent transom remote with full function if you want that....

Nice:

51VCOmsHBvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nicer:

556421.jpg

No doubt! Although The clarion is cheaper ;) it's personal preference, they both do the same thing BUT clarions Bluetooth is built in as well...

I also do not care for the Fusion brand, it's a OK unit...

Edited by Truekaotik

Clarion also offers a M303 with "built in" Bluetooth and the new MW4 remote has a 3 inch color LCD ;) no other manufacturer has the color LCD so I would say this is the best transom remote out there...

Can apline receiver be used with 2012 boats? Looks so much better than the factory one.

I'm not sure how the Rockford unit interfaces with the rest of the Malivue stuff. From a size perspective, the CDA-118M should fit. Can be had new for $310 shipped.

No doubt! Although The clarion is cheaper ;) it's personal preference, they both do the same thing BUT clarions Bluetooth is built in as well...

No doubt the Clarion stuff is significantly cheaper.

Very few if any head units have built in Sirius or XM tuners. That Fusion (a brand I'd personally have concerns about anyway) is already outdates with its iPod/iPhone interface as it won't work with any current or future iPod or iPhone model. Not good.

Nice:

51VCOmsHBvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nicer:

556421.jpg

If I could do it all over as long as I could have Bluetooth I would buy Alpine. Handsdown

If I could do it all over as long as I could have Bluetooth I would buy Alpine. Handsdown

One issue no one would normally think about on these transom remotes is that Sirius has a dog for a symbol. This past summer, my daughter (around 1 and a half at the time) would keep hitting the source button until she could see the "puppy." Cute but annoying at the same time if we were using the iPhone instead of the Sirius.

I have the iDA-100m from alpine connected to the KCE-400bt and have loved that decision. I'm a college student who always has other kids my age on the boat and everyone constantly wants to change songs and the problem is of course the head unit is under my arm so i would say no because i need to focus on towing. Then i thought about it and said "what if people could control the music wirelessly and scroll faster then the unit itself (thats the downside of the headunit and the transom remotes when your looking through a few thousand songs)" so i decided to wire up the bluetooth on it, now i can throw my ipod in a cup holder and anyone can grab it and play what they want. Best upgrade to my stereo.

Looking to upgrade my head unit to a new unit with Bluetooth for ipod/iphone, generic phone, media player, etc. Does anyone here have one they are happy with?

I run the Sony 300BTX. Works well. USB input on the face and inside the tray works funky. As for BT though you should be happy.

Claudio

belkin_bluetooth_music_receiver_zpsaa707

I was looking to do the same thing but already had the setup i wanted being a Wetsounds 420eq.. So i found this bluetooth receiver for 40 bucks on ebay and hooked it to the 3.5mm headphone jack coming out of my eq and boom bluetooth on the water from up to 30 ft away. Lifeproof case for the iphone makes it even better.

belkin_bluetooth_music_receiver_zpsaa707

I was looking to do the same thing but already had the setup i wanted being a Wetsounds 420eq.. So i found this bluetooth receiver for 40 bucks on ebay and hooked it to the 3.5mm headphone jack coming out of my eq and boom bluetooth on the water from up to 30 ft away. Lifeproof case for the iphone makes it even better.

Is that the Belkin F8Z492TTP? It looks just like it, and if it is, that thing is a complete and utter piece of crap (read the reviews on Amazon...my experience is typical). Had one for in my house and the range could not be any worse. Most people that get them take the unit apart and remove the metal plate inside. I did that which helped range a bit but the range was still awful. If I had that thing on the front of my boat I guarantee it would have audio breakup if my phone was at the back of my boat...most likely with breakup at the middle of the boat. I replaced the piece of junk with a Logitech unit which actually worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Clarion m502 only has 2v pre-amp outs. The CDA-9886M Alpine has 4v pre-amp outputs. I have a Fusion deck now and I'm not very happy with is low pre-amp output. Even the Alpine iDA-X100M has 2v outputs. Dont the Fosgate deck claim 5V pre-amp outputs?

I picked up this JVC KD-R730BT at the beginning of the season last year and have been very happy with it. BT and satellite ready. i haven't used the BT yet, but plan to this season as i just upgraded my phone. Its not marinized, but i haven't had any problems thus far and removed it from the boat during winterization.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR730B/JVC-KD-R730BT.html?cc=02&showAll=N&search=KDR730BT&skipvs=T

Edited by Indebound