Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Highest amp altinator

Trim

Well 2 pairs of Rev 10's were awesome last year on the pink Malibu but even with two blue tops the amperage issue really sucked at times...Just ordered another syn 2 and another pair of Rev 10's for this year. Gunna add two more batteries for a total of 4 and want to get one alternator that will charge everything and push all 6 Rev 10's at idle all day long. Is it possible? Due to low amperage I believe I blew a JBL 12 and 3 new kicker interior speakers last year...Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thank you for the quick response. Gotta admit Im little more than confused...I was hoping to just bolt a 350amp alternator on and be done with it but after reading that it might not be the best route (and it costs $1000)....

Trim,

It may be a mistake to add a cheap China alternator that boasts big over-stated amperage ratings but requires high rpms to even approach those ratings.

When you talk to the people at Balmar, and that is the real McCoy, rpms and bandwidth is important to the discussion if you have expectations at or close to idle which is a mighty tall order.

With a substantial upgrade you will have to change out pulleys.

Grant West has been through all this and is really dialed in on alternator/charging systems today. There is another individual on WakeWorld named PolarBill, I believe, that is in the alternator business and is extremely knowledgable on the subject. He can offer you a turnkey solution with the right guidance.

With what you are describing you will not be able to be fully dependent on the alternator. You should also have a significant 3-stage dual-bank AC shore 'SMART' charger with serious amperage capacity of 10 amps per each Group 34 Blue Top or greater if running the BT 31s. In the capacity you need you are likely looking at a triple-bank charger even though you only need two banks but there's no harm in a three-bank charger.

David

Thank you David I will look them up....This was one of the units I was looking at actually made in the USA believe it or not....https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2001~Chevrolet~Corvette~5.7L-LS1-V8/13721-300-spx.html...Im am gunna talk to those fellows before I do anything...

Using a car alternator in a boat is hella dangerous. :blowup: :blowup:

Trim,

It may be a mistake to add a cheap China alternator that boasts big over-stated amperage ratings but requires high rpms to even approach those ratings.

When you talk to the people at Balmar, and that is the real McCoy, rpms and bandwidth is important to the discussion if you have expectations at or close to idle which is a mighty tall order.

With a substantial upgrade you will have to change out pulleys.

Grant West has been through all this and is really dialed in on alternator/charging systems today. There is another individual on WakeWorld named PolarBill, I believe, that is in the alternator business and is extremely knowledgable on the subject. He can offer you a turnkey solution with the right guidance.

With what you are describing you will not be able to be fully dependent on the alternator. You should also have a significant 3-stage dual-bank AC shore 'SMART' charger with serious amperage capacity of 10 amps per each Group 34 Blue Top or greater if running the BT 31s. In the capacity you need you are likely looking at a triple-bank charger even though you only need two banks but there's no harm in a three-bank charger.

David

David is the man, Spot on on the big APH batteries and a good charger if you can put it on charge every night or even every other night I think you will find you will never need a bigger alternator. Also a relay wouldn't be a bad buy. You may could do it with what you have if you don't have a good charger now. It is just a simple matter of if you have the amps for the day and you can charge it back up at night.

Relay I was talking about.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii611/Bradley_Thornton2012/IMG_0465.jpg

$5 you can get an extra switch.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1517