Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

External stereo control query

LX Response

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you have any ideas;- all our music is on an Ipod which we play through the stereo head unit. We want to be able to control the Ipod (change songs, adjust volume, look at playlists etc) whilst sitting at the back of the boat (or floating around in the water), without having to go to the drivers seat to adjust the Ipod manually.

There is a remote control unit that you can install at the rear of your boat which can change songs and adjust the volume but you can't actually view the playlists etc that is on your Ipod, you can only go forward or backward to the next song. I was thinking of buying a cheap Ipod which can stay in the boot of the boat (and our normal Ipod remains next to the head unit), and getting an extension lead that runs from the head unit to the back of the boat - this way we can view all the songs/playlists and select songs (and if it gets damaged at least we still have our good Ipod)- is this the only way to do it or is there something else out there that will do the same thing?

Hopefully the above makes sense.......

Thanks alot :)

A newer generation head-unit will allow for interface with the Ipod so you can control it through its transom remote. If your MP3 player has bluetooth, you can secure it on a waterproof case and stream it to a BT receiver connected to the head-unit.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you have any ideas;- all our music is on an Ipod which we play through the stereo head unit. We want to be able to control the Ipod (change songs, adjust volume, look at playlists etc) whilst sitting at the back of the boat (or floating around in the water), without having to go to the drivers seat to adjust the Ipod manually.

There is a remote control unit that you can install at the rear of your boat which can change songs and adjust the volume but you can't actually view the playlists etc that is on your Ipod, you can only go forward or backward to the next song. I was thinking of buying a cheap Ipod which can stay in the boot of the boat (and our normal Ipod remains next to the head unit), and getting an extension lead that runs from the head unit to the back of the boat - this way we can view all the songs/playlists and select songs (and if it gets damaged at least we still have our good Ipod)- is this the only way to do it or is there something else out there that will do the same thing?

Hopefully the above makes sense.......

Thanks alot :)

LX, what head unit do you have? It will, more than likely, have a LCD remote option if it atleast allows some iPod control at the rear. This means you just need to replace the transom remote for full control.

• Like 1

Its a Pioneer head unit which we bought about 5 years ago, not sure of model. Thanks for the feedback, I will check to see if it has LCD remote option :)

Check to see if its compatable with the CD-MR80 remote. Or just post the model number and we can tell ya. This will give you a Display to see your songs and control the iPod on the transom.. I believe they work with any Pioneer above the deh3500 (just a example using this years model)...

Edited by Truekaotik
  • Like 1

LX,

Just a heads-up, the LCD remote is only able to display the data sent to it from the head-unit. The head-unit needs to have the ability to interface with the Ipod's data port. Before upgrading the remote(s), I would first confirm the Ipod interface compatibility of the head-unit. Your current Pioneer will at least need a USP or Ipod specific port/cable. Then with it plugged up, what does it display on the head-unit's LCD and what will it allow you to do with the Ipod's play lists. This will give you an indication of what an LCD remote will do for you. A 5 year old head-unit could go either way, but the odds are slim that it will have good functionality.

• Like 1

Yes he should check his head units LCD, It will mimic that function but if it has USB, it is most likely compatable. Your model number on the front of your face plate is all we need to verify if its remote compatable.. There are only two head units they made that weren't compatable each year, the 1300 or the 2300 or equivelant depending on year. Plus these didn't offer sub control so they didn't have 3 sets of preouts.... I have to kinda disagree, in that he will have a high probability rate as long as its the model or above equivelant in 05' form of the 3500. Pioneer has had the same controls for 6-7 years atleast. I think he has a high chance on this brand Wylie :)

• Like 1

If money allows I would advise you to consider going the bluetooth route, from what I have seen (and maybe missed something) but the transom remote is slow scrolling (clarion and alpine), when my ipod has over 3,000 songs I couldn't deal with that, so I went bluetooth so the ipod is now wireless from the headunit and I can carry it anywhere in my boat and select the music and volume control from my ipod itself. (note: ipod must be bluetooth compatible).The only problem I see for what you want is you said in the water, and the bluetooth reception might have problems if not mounted properly (mine is mounted behind the safety lanyard at my feet so going through the fiberglass might be tough but feasible. Also I don't want myself or anyone else dropping my ipod so thats why it doesn't get close to the water.

Edited by saskicker32
  • Like 1