Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cutting bulkhead under drivers dash for more box volume?

cowwboy

I saw a post on ww that showed a guy cut the bulkhead on his tige' to clear a box for a wetsounds xxx in front of his feet.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this or done this.

Not really looking to do it to mine just curious.

It is interesting though that on some of the same year vlx's I've seen have openings from the observer compartment to the nose, yet mine doesn't.

On most Tige boats, as well as other manufacturer's models, that wall under the helm is a solid wall thats part of the deck cap. It also creates an additional storage locker thats accessible through a door in the walk-thru or by lifting up the bow seat back. On a lot of Malibu boats, the "wall" at the drivers feet is a removable board thats more for cosmetics. its there to conceal the hoses, steering cable and under helm wiring.

When doing a sub in a Tige, some models will allow for a small sealed enclosure to be back-loaded to the back side of the wall by going through the locker access door. Other, larger enclosures, require cutting out a square hole in the wall, then sliding in the nearly completed enclosure that has facia board thats typically covered with matching carpet. Once fitted, it blends very well. On a model like a Malibu, we may reuse the original board and maintain a completely factory look, except for the addition of the sub. Sometime, the enclosure requires that the board be moved out into the boat a few inches, taking up some leg room. Sometimes, the board is disposed of and a new custom one is used in its place.

cowwboy,

I'm not exactly sure of which fixed wall on an '02 BU that you are describing.

Some inboards will be walled off at the forward side of the helm console separating it from the bow cavity that wraps around under the bow cushions. Some do have an open passageway continuing on under the bow.

Acoustically it would be to your advantage to have the cavities isolated. A large displacement bow cavity is a bass trap that robs you of significant bass energy. Any energy reflected out of a large and extended cavity, such as the bow or gunnel, is out-of-phase with the direct output of the woofer.

David

MLA I was talking about the divider between the drivers feet and the Bow not the facia plate.

Dave the open portion I saw on some other boats is inside of the observer compartment.

Was just curious if it was common and if it would effect structural integrity.

Cowwboy,

I am very familiar with how both brands build their boats. So to answer your question more direct, yes and yes, ive seen and done it. I apologise for not answering your question the 1st time.

I wonder if you could turn part of the bow underseat into a box?

Seal the underseat area with fiberglass / wood / kingboard etc.

Use the divider under the windshield as a baffle and use the hull / top cap as a box.

You would loose the storage in the bow but lots of time it isn't all to useable.

I know it's kind of out there and I personally will not hack saw my boat that much.

But as I'm doing way to many emmisions reports, my mind drifts to odd idea's for stereo stuff.

Sure, you could do that. You would have to lay up fiberglass mat at least .375" thick and very dense to approach the rigidity of a .75" MDF enclosure. A layer at a time, spraying the resin, rolling it down, layer after layer. And it would be messy so don't under-estimate the time spent on containment. Just too messy in an assembled boat. Now if you made a mold out of two-part expansion foam and did all the work in the shop, that would be a decent approach but still lots and lots of time.

David