Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cadillac Escalade ESV as tow vehicle for big boat?

wakeboarder3780

i've got a '09 GMC denali XL. It'll pull my old '89 sunsetter like it's nothing. The '89 sunsetter is only about 3,000 lbs. though.

I've been really happy with the 6.2 liter and 6 speed tranny.

Not much terrain up here in the high plains, though. :lol:

you'll never get a sheet of plywood in it, but you sure can in my '05 nissan quest minivan!

the man-van might look lame at lowes getting 10 sheets of drywall, but who's laughing when it gets 23 mpg?!

Hey folks.

Recently got a cadillac CTS and i fell in love with a lot of the features in the vehicle. Kind of makes me want to get another cadillac for a tow vehicle, however I am a little leery simply because it doesn't strike me that many folks use a luxury SUV for towing. I'd assume most folks use more of the work horse style SUV/trucks. I did some forum searching on this forum and the only thing I could find was ONE article with a guy talking about how his was a lemon. Didn't give me the vote of confidence but then again you can have lemons with anything.

Does anyone tow with an escalade ESV? I'd be towing either a 23 LSV or a 24 MXZ so the braking power has to be good and its certainly going to need oomph for hills. I currently tow with a 02 suburban 5.3L and its enough but if you get on an incline (even a gentle one), forget about it, you're going to be downshifting if you want to get up it at a decent speed.

I can't comment on the Escalade but on the subject of using a luxury SUV for towing, I have a Porsche Cayenne Diesel for our 23 LSV. It is a better tow vehicle than my son's Tahoe and when not towing, the 32MPG on the highway is hard to beat (if only the cost of diesel was closer to gas!!).

Ya, we had some friends who bought a suburban Ltz new in 08. Nothing but problems. Granted, minor but quite annoying. Door handles on the exterior literally falling off, power lift gate issues, ac issues, interior quality issues, list goes on. They have a little over 100k now and the inside looks like crap. Torn around steering wheel controls, seats, headliner issues, etc.

That interior issue is a matter of taking care of it. Leather is delicate. Have to condition her like a woman. ;) lol i have 102k on my 2008 Yukon and not one tear on the leather. Steering wheel is still intacked and very comfortable. Not one flaw in the interior other than the color of the temperature control for the ac on the dash is starting to ware finally

Edited by VLX_Fixation

I could not tell you if a sheet would fit or not, I have rear bucket seats in mine and the center console does not move. They do offer a rear bench that folds flat that may work but I couldn't tell you for sure.

As far as the Escalade goes, I had the 6.2 engine, I couldn't imaging that going Chevy, GMC vs Escalade is going to get you anywhere. The escalade is supposed to be the pinnacle of what they have to offer and they completely S*@T the bed with it.

My only thought process was that in the GMC / Chevy equivalents they'd have less luxury crap to interfere with towing (such as luxury suspensions - air ride all that kinda bs) But I know you got a rough hand and I'd feel the same if I were you for certain.

I pulled my 23 lsv with my wife's 2012 Escalade ESV last year. No issues at all. Went on 3 road trips (200-300 miles each way) and it did great. The horsepower really pulls it down the road....the only thing it doesn't pass is a gas station...which hurts a bit since it only takes premium...

are you suppose to run premium in denali and escalade with the 6.2 liter?

I usually run 89 octane in my denali....

No. I run premium in mine because of the motor work i have done but a stock 6.2l takes 87 octane.

I have a 2008 Escalade (base) 2wd. Towing a 2002 23LSV (loaded with gear/food etc.). We've towed with it for 2 summers so far. Got the Escalade with 30k miles - rotors were already warped. We tow 300 miles each direction with several steep-long grades about 8-10 trips/yr. Had a 2004 Yukon (5.3L )that I used for 5 years (same amount of towing).

Escalade vs. Yukon

Engine - Yukon worked hard. Escalade hardly working (LOL)

Transmission: Escalade 6-spd hands down winner - no issues whatsoever.

Brakes: Yukon needed the trailer brakes but lasted 100,00 miles before needing pads. Escalade brakes stronger, more confidence in them stopping when you really need to stop. Replaced the rotors and pads at 50,000 miles with EBC rotors and pads. No warping so far and slightly better braking.

Impressions: Both vehicles had/have the autoride system (electronically controlled rear air shocks that level the vehicle when trailer is attached) - a must-have in my opinion. No porpoising at all!

I love driving the Escalade (I did not want the ESV), awesome turning radius, great ride (still a truck), really nice creature comforts. Frequently forget that I am towing a +/- 6,000# load. BTW: Other than a seat lumbar support going out (warranty), I've had zero problems with the Escalade (70K miles now).

• Like 1