Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cadillac Escalade ESV as tow vehicle for big boat?

wakeboarder3780

Hey folks.

Recently got a cadillac CTS and i fell in love with a lot of the features in the vehicle. Kind of makes me want to get another cadillac for a tow vehicle, however I am a little leery simply because it doesn't strike me that many folks use a luxury SUV for towing. I'd assume most folks use more of the work horse style SUV/trucks. I did some forum searching on this forum and the only thing I could find was ONE article with a guy talking about how his was a lemon. Didn't give me the vote of confidence but then again you can have lemons with anything.

Does anyone tow with an escalade ESV? I'd be towing either a 23 LSV or a 24 MXZ so the braking power has to be good and its certainly going to need oomph for hills. I currently tow with a 02 suburban 5.3L and its enough but if you get on an incline (even a gentle one), forget about it, you're going to be downshifting if you want to get up it at a decent speed.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

it has always been my opinion that when towing, longer wheelbase is crucial especially for bigger, heavier, taller sided items behind it....having a powerful shorter wheelbase vehicle to tow with is like the tail wagging the dog...and that is not a good thing....

that said, look for longest wheelbase you can live with, ....then add stopping power, and horsepower and torque in that order, (if your suburban had the 6 liter...it would be much better)

You must also consider things like Axle Ratio.. lets say the same vehicle came with 3.08, 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10 gears....the higher axle ratios will cause poorer fuel economy but be better at towing, also you must consider if the tow vehicle has an oil cooler, or a transmission cooler etc... does it have properly sized tires that will meet or exceed tongue and payload capacity?

Does the vehicle require a sway control or load distribution hitch in order to achieve its tow ratings?

Lots to consider.....

just my two cents....

PS My recommended vehicles are always long wheelbase trucks for big boats....

Edited by JB-FOOT

Latest gen escalade ESV wheelbase is 130 inches...wheelbase of smallest 3/4 ton chevy p/u is just a foot longer....its rated to pull more than 12,000 pounds. A 23 LSV is nothing for an escalade...a 24 MXZ will get its attention more but I haven't researched its rating, just wanted to show its a pretty decent length wheelbase although I seem to recall mixed reviews from owners. I recall someone in Canada who has one and maybe not had the best experience?

I don't think either of those boats would qualify as a "large" boat, but everything is relative. I used to tow a 6500# cabin cruiser with a Dodge 1500 with the old style 5.9 (pre-hemi). The boat was there and the truck knew it.

A newer Escalade will handle either of those boats. Becareful with any luxury SUV that has autoleveling systems, those can be stressed with heavy tongue weights.

The 5.3 is not a stellar tow engine, too rev happy as I'm sure you've seen. The newer larger engines are a bit better.

Luxury SUV and towing, I'd probably pick the Infinity myself.

Sorry one thing I didn't mention is I'm an SUV guy and I require an SUV that holds 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back. Last time I checked you don't have many options in that category. The only vehicles I know of that fit the bill are:

Chevy Suburban

Ford Expedition EL

Cadillac Escalade ESV

Which infinity were you referring to falko? I'm not familiar with their lineup at all.

Good info JB, learned some stuff there. My biggest problem is I don't know squat about towing other than "Make sure you get a vehicle with a beefy tow rating and leave room for slop". How can you find out if a vehicle requires a sway control or load distribution hitch?

Sorry one thing I didn't mention is I'm an SUV guy and I require an SUV that holds 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back. Last time I checked you don't have many options in that category. The only vehicles I know of that fit the bill are:

Chevy Suburban

Ford Expedition EL

Cadillac Escalade ESV

Which infinity were you referring to falko? I'm not familiar with their lineup at all.

Good info JB, learned some stuff there. My biggest problem is I don't know squat about towing other than "Make sure you get a vehicle with a beefy tow rating and leave room for slop". How can you find out if a vehicle requires a sway control or load distribution hitch?

add the GMC Denali XL to the list.

I am probably the one you read about in the lemon comment. I had nothing but problems with mine, if you read my thread you can see the laudry list of items I had issues with, if not I can go over again. It did tow well except for breaking. I warped disks multiple times and had to put drilled / sloted rotors on. Obviously I would not touch one with a 100 foot pole. I now have a 2012 Infiniti QX56 and could not be happier. It is 100% nicer in every way,drives better, tows better, nav, everything is made better, works better etc... It is a bit smaller interior wise but got a roof cargo unit and actually like it more because I can throw all the dirty stuff I don't want inside in it. I do miss the remote start but that is an easy add on.

Yes, the QX56 is the one I was referring to. Your other alternative could be the Land Cruiser or whatever Lexus has that clones it.

GMC/Chevy made, and maybe still do, a 2500 series Yukon/Suburban if you want that extra capacity. I don't know if they are available in the upscale Denali editions. But the ride will suffer a little.

I tow my 23xti with a standard wheel base Expedition. No problems whatsoever. Could use more power up top but the low end torque of the 5.4 is pretty good. Need the EL though to cram in the plywood.

Debt Setter, you're the one ;) I was wondering if you'd chime in. I was definitely terrified after I read that. I was HOPING to find someone with some positive experiences or some good alternatives. I'm definitely getting some good alternatives, so maybe I'll still stay away from it. I think what stuck with me was the part about you being stranded in the desert with the family. Stranded is simply unacceptable IMO and scared the pants off me.

I'll add the GMC Yukon XL to the list ;)

I'm hearing mixed reviews online on that infiniti QX56 on whether it fits full 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back with the tail gate closing. Do you know offhand if it does debt setter?

A friend of mine has one and pulls his 247 160 miles to Lake Powell several times a year. He has not complained, but I haven't asked him directly. I know he has had the vehicle for a couple of years, so he must think it is OK.

towing capacity for the qx56 is 8500 lbs. An LSV, lakeready, will easily be 6500lbs. This is not counting people and gear in the vehicle. It goes back to "can it do it" vs "would I do it".

I had a Titan in the past and found the gear ratios to be too high to pull heavier loads like some of the offerings from other auto makers.

All of the newer Escalades (excluding the Hybrid) have the 403HP 6.2L and 3.42 rear end, so that should care for your power needs nicely. 2WD has an 8300lb tow rating; 4WD has an 8100lb rating (excluding the EXT truck and the Hybrid). Should easily meet your needs.

• Like 1

I could not tell you if a sheet would fit or not, I have rear bucket seats in mine and the center console does not move. They do offer a rear bench that folds flat that may work but I couldn't tell you for sure.

As far as the Escalade goes, I had the 6.2 engine, I couldn't imaging that going Chevy, GMC vs Escalade is going to get you anywhere. The escalade is supposed to be the pinnacle of what they have to offer and they completely S*@T the bed with it.

We had an ESV and towed to Powell and Canada several times without any problem and good power when needed. 23 xTi. No braking problems. Only a speeding problem in the great state of Washington. Now tow with a 2010 2500 Suburban. Ride suffers a little, but no issue with stability/braking.

I used to tow my vride with a 5.3l silverado. I could definitely feel it. I've towed the same boat with rams, f150s, silverados, titans, expeditions, armadas, and qx56s. QX was night and day better than all of them. Best tow vehicle I've driven. Plenty of torque and I couldn't feel a thing. Mine is on order and will be here next month.

get the 6 speed tranny and use tow/haul. it eliminates your over drive gear and it just stays in 5th for climbing while towing. but agreed definitely opt for the 6.2l. i have a 1500 silvy with the 6.2l. stock i believe i could tow almost 12,000lbs. i have a little love in it now, with a 14 bolt rear end, allison trans, programmed and 3/4 ton springs and i tow 15,500lbs all day long with and the motor is never stressed

Our armada (same as QX power train wise) with the 317 hp 5.6 is an amazing tow vehicle. 3.36 ratio, a tranny built or towing, auto level suspension, tongue weight of 900 pounds and a 9000 pound capacity, all day comfort and huge rear seat legroom. Tows more than the 'slade too.

We have been towing with our escalade for 3 years....no issues....all Current generation escalades are 6.2L 6 speeds.... Although i am not sure of the motor in the hybrids...I have added a larger aftermarket transmission cooler. We tow through the rocky mountains 2-3 times a year.....brakes are strong..... First truck I have owned that didn't warp the rotors towing. The 6.2 and 6 speed are what attracted me to the escalade.

I could not tell you if a sheet would fit or not, I have rear bucket seats in mine and the center console does not move. They do offer a rear bench that folds flat that may work but I couldn't tell you for sure.

As far as the Escalade goes, I had the 6.2 engine, I couldn't imaging that going Chevy, GMC vs Escalade is going to get you anywhere. The escalade is supposed to be the pinnacle of what they have to offer and they completely S*@T the bed with it.

The Denali is the same engine and drive train as the Escalade, slightly less plush, but essentially the same ride. I know there are some who have driven these with good luck out there. When my Denali XL was running, it was smoking awesome, but it seemed like it required a week in the shop for every three weeks on the road. Same with my Sierra Denali pickup, well that was about a week in the shop for every six weeks on the road.

Ya, we had some friends who bought a suburban Ltz new in 08. Nothing but problems. Granted, minor but quite annoying. Door handles on the exterior literally falling off, power lift gate issues, ac issues, interior quality issues, list goes on. They have a little over 100k now and the inside looks like crap. Torn around steering wheel controls, seats, headliner issues, etc.