Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speaker wire

Dave K

When wiring up speakers does anyone use a in wall speaker wire such as this, or does it HAVE to be a true marine speaker wire??

I would think nothing less than 14 ga

spwire_zps00992c77.jpg

Dave- check out lamp cord wire at a local hardware store. Thick quality wire with a tough outter shell. you can see first hand prior to purchase what you are getting for your money.

Label it marine or put kicker, fosgate or any other decent name brand and you incur a 50% premium.

Buying an off brand speaker wire rated XX gauge off the internet is like buying snake oil.

Jacketed wire is ideal for a tower application. Less bulky than a conventional exposed floor wire. Has a slick outer jacket specifically intended for pulling.

14/2 per side is fine for one pair of HLCDs with the appropriate power. 12/2 is better, especially if there is any chance that you might add a second pair down the road.

David

Monoprice.com has a good cheap selection of two and four conductor 12awg in wall jacketed wire. I like it.

Shawndoggy turned me on to the stuff from monoprice and I am forever in his debt because of it. it pulls easy through the tower and was less expensive than the other options I was looking at.

Edited by TallRedRider