Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet SOunds on Tower Speakers

Dave K

Man... I didn't have this much terrible deciding to get married????? I have gone from kicker 6-pack to 2 pair of pro 60's to I done know what.... There has been alot of talk about the Wet Sounds rev 8's & 10's and how good they are. We do want the music out to 80 ft. Austically speaking I think two pair of speakers look better?

Could I go with 1 pr of of the rev 8's and and 1 pair of the XST-650?

or

The other option I suppose is 1 single pair of rev 10's.

I run a pair of Pro 80's and a pair of SXT65's and am very happy with the result. Sounds good wakeboarding and really good surfing. It can actually be too much while surfing. I would think I would be equally happy replacing the Pro 80's with Rev 8's.

I'm no expert but I think putting the XST-650s next to the Rev 8s would be a waste of $ - they won't contribute much, if anything. I run a single pair of Rev 10s and they work fine at 70'-80'. All that being said, when I'm on a wakeboard I'm so focused on what I'm trying to do that I don't really hear the music.

Dave,

Here is what you need to know about mixing different types (conventional and HLCD) and sizes of speakers. What I am sharing is just basic acoustics and unrelated to any brand.

Because of both the size (6.5" vs. 8") and type (conventional vs. HLCD) differential, let's say you have a 6 dB difference in output, which would be a conservative estimate. When you combine two speakers with a 6 dB difference in output with both speakers getting the identical power they will sum for an additional less-than-1 dB. 1 dB (decibel) is the smallest difference that you can discern in an ideal 'quiet room' if you have golden ears. The ambient noise levels of an open air environment, not to mention the exhaust and other competing noise when underway, would make the lower output speaker essentially inaudible. That would be a waste of investment and a waste of precious amplifier power.

Now could you attenuate the dominant speaker to balance the two? Sure, but then you have unrealized potential....and one would have to question the benefit of the more powerful speaker.

Could you drive the subordinate speaker harder to compete? Sure, but it would take four times the power to overcome the 6 dB differential....which means the subordinate speaker would reach it's limitations prematurely.

There are many variations on the above example that could change the experience somewhat but I would recommend that you go a symmetrical route.

David

With 1 pair of pro 8-'s or rev 10's where would be the best place to mount? Factory mount on the side of tower (illusion) or would using a swivel clamps on the pipe be best. I am thinking that with a swivel clamp I could get the speaker nice and close to the top inside corner where the pipe meets the side part of the tower. It would also let me aim the speakers alittle better. ?? Any thoughts.

That's what I would do, since the tower is kind of low, mount as high as possible, so the factory mounts would be best. It gets tucked up there pretty nice,

So head banging is minimal. With 4, that's another story.

That's what I would do, since the tower is kind of low, mount as high as possible, so the factory mounts would be best. It gets tucked up there pretty nice,

So head banging is minimal. With 4, that's another story.

Use the top factory mount I assume?

Rev 10 on Illusion XS tower. Ended up using the swivel mounts.

When you say using swivel mounts do you mean a 2 1/2" clamps and hanging the speaker from the pipe??

Also did you originally have them mounted in the factory mount on the side of the tower??

Edited by Dave K
When you say using swivel mounts do you mean a 2 1/2" clamps and hanging the speaker from the pipe??

Also did you originally have them mounted in the factory mount on the side of the tower??

No, it's the X-mount. Not on the "hoop" portion of the tower. Used the upper mount - in the curve of the tower. Where they're being held in the photo is where they were mounted. Next time I'm out at the marina I can take some additional photos of the mount. The speakers are currently sitting here in my office. They have quick disconnects and I don't like leaving them in the boat overr the winter. Let me know if you need some of the TC-3 swivel clamps. I have a pair that were not used.

Edited by mikeyg

All I can tell you tower speaker experts is I drive the Pro 80's off one amp and the SXT65's off another. I tune them one pair at a time, then combine them. I can also tell you the 4 on the tower is much much better for what we use the boat for than the Pro 80's alone. Just my own, real world, behind the boat, in the water experience. :) YMMV

No, it's the X-mount. Not on the "hoop" portion of the tower. Used the upper mount - in the curve of the tower. Where they're being held in the photo is where they were mounted. Next time I'm out at the marina I can take some additional photos of the mount. The speakers are currently sitting here in my office. They have quick disconnects and I don't like leaving them in the boat overr the winter. Let me know if you need some of the TC-3 swivel clamps. I have a pair that were not used.

Ok thanks for the help. Pics would be awesome

The XM9's are nice also. Cost less and no extra cost for swivel mounting just an idea. The only problem with not using the stock mounts is the holes look bad just sitting with out anything in it. In less you have the plugs.