Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kicker 6-pack VS Pro 60's

Dave K

I am thinking of a Kicker 6 pack (6500.2 + 6500) OR a set of Pro 60's on my illusion tower.

What would you think is the best for music @ 80ft, appearance, over all sound performance, and cost effectiveness. Does 1 out way the other??

Thanks

I have the 6500.2 (not the 6 pack) but I would go with wetsounds. Kicker is fine for surfing and I can hear it boarding but not as clear as wetsounds.. I don't think one more set of 6500 would make much a difference. It is a million times better than the coaxials I had and super cheap but I will upgrade to pro 80's when I get the chance...

Dave, i dont think a ton of folks are going to dive on a grenade and vouch that either are terrific products for 80ft quality sound.

"B level" most folks would agree on are the Pro80s now in the $600 range new. But most folks would say you need 2 pair of 80s to get real quality sound (albeit harsh) at 80ft.

"A level" for most folks is the Exile XM9s packages or the Rev10s amp'd at 125% at 400w ea in the $1000-1200 range will get you good sound at 80ft.

Rev10s can be had at around $1000 a pair if you are patient and watch the classifieds, or at around $1050-1150 with the right vendor.

Its hard to cut corners and getting quality sound out on the water, esp at 80ft. The tried and proven ways to get it are as I described above. if you are price sensitive and the $1100+300$ for rev10s and amp are too much, wait a while and save up. doing it right the first time is always cheaper than multiple versions of upgrades.

Actually I am thinking of 2 pair of pro 60's on the factory mounts on the illusion tower.

Would in your opinion the 4 pro 60's out perform the 6 pack?? I simply like the nice clean look to the wetsounds pro 60's.

Edited by Dave K
Actually I am thinking of 2 pair of pro 60's on the factory mounts on the illusion tower.

Would in your opinion the 4 pro 60's out perform the 6 pack?? I simple like the nice clean look to the wetsounds pro 60's.

4 pro 60's all day long, but I think one pair of 80's sounds "better" than 4 60's

Edit: 6.5" hlcd's are extremely harsh sounding with very little mid bass

Edited by t a

On the illusion x tower (which has speaker mounts that are low (ESPECIALLY if you run two pair) and forward in the cabin), there's a real upside to the exile xm hlcds over the wetsounds because you can angle the speakers up a bit (still level while the boat is on plane) to spare your cabin occupants.

That's coming from a guy with two pairs of Rev10s, so I'm not trying to start a brand war by any means.

Also if you like the "look" of two pair of pro60s, you should know that the Rev8 cans are the same size, so you can get the same look with a more updated wetsounds speaker.