Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starting from scratch

Dave K

Well here I go again. 2006 wakesetter VLX,

wakesettersmall_zpseef54133.jpg

Im starting from scratch with the help from MLA. I'm just looking for some opinions. Here what I'm thinking of so far.

Towers

I would like HLCD

I am somewhat concerned about head room so I don't think I want to go with a big 8"hlcd's. I was thinking of a set the kicker 6500.2 and a set of 6500. I would mount the 6500's on the factory mount on tower arm, and 2 pods for the 6500.2 on the round bar as close to the upper corners as posssible. This would allow as much room as possible for my nogan. I was briefly considering another brand pair of 7" HLCD but quality and support scared me away.

Alternated to the Kicker 6 pack ?? --- 4 pro's 60's ?? 2 pro 80's ?? 2

Boat Speakers

2- 6.5" bows, 2- 6.5"in dash, and 4- 6.5"in main cabin area. I was thinking Kicker here because of a good price point. Any suggestions ?

Subs

1- 12"sub or maybe even 2 KM-10 Kicker subs

Amps

Kicker 450.2 (towers)

Kicker 350.4 (bow & dash speakers)

Kicker 700.5 ( 4 main cabin speakers and sub) or Kicker 350.4 and then a fourth amp for sub(s)

RLC's to control bow & dash, towers,

Deck Head

We really don't listen to FM radio and listen to the ipod exclusively. If I decide to replace the deck on the arm rest I would probably want a remote on the dash somewhere. Otherwise (dont know about room) mount a deck just under driver console maybe to right hand side?? Sirus Satelite radio might be a possibility also.

Ideas and/or comments would be appreciated

6.5 for the ints. Exile or wetsounds.

Any of those HLCDs should be great! Kickers are nicest for the money, but go on exileaudio.com under warehouse sale, they have the deals!

With a ton of help I have finally decided on my stereo

Tower

1 pr Wet Sounds Rev 10's

1 Syn4 amp

Boat Speakers

Either Kicker 11km6200 or West Sounds XS65B

8 speakers, 2 bow 2 dash, 4 main cabin area

2 Arc amps

Sub

Not entirely sure yet but possibly a

Wet SOunds XS-12 PORTED

JL 12W6

700-1000 watt amp but not sure on make yet

I've got an 04 LSV with the same tower, current setup is two rev 10s on the tower powered by a syn4 (I have another set of rev10s and another syn4 just not sure if I wanna lose the head room), in boat I have 4 XS650's powered by arc 300.4 and one 12" alpine type R powered by alpine 1000 watt monoblock amp. Sounds pretty unreal.

I've got an 04 LSV with the same tower, current setup is two rev 10s on the tower powered by a syn4 (I have another set of rev10s and another syn4 just not sure if I wanna lose the head room), in boat I have 4 XS650's powered by arc 300.4 and one 12" alpine type R powered by alpine 1000 watt monoblock amp. Sounds pretty unreal.

Thats funny.

And now your going to tell me that your stereo is OUTSTANDING right? :clap:

I have that amp on a 15" Re XXX at 1 ohm in a 4cf ported box. Enough bass for 3 boats. That amp bench tests at 2475w ish at 14.4V and 2100w or so at 12.6v.

Great value and one of my best purchases.

I am going with a Wet SOunds XS-12 with an ARC XDi 1000. I'm not a music connoissier but this seems to be a logical set-up.

So I hope I have the perogative to change my mind...cause I did

Pretty much all Wet sounds now

1 pr Rev10

Ws 420

Syn 4

HT6

HT1

8- 6.5's

WetSoundLayoutjpeg_zpsec1fb37a.jpg

Edited by Dave K

I fished it at the same place the ground and power wire come under the dash.

Its a fair short distance from the hatch in for for the ballast tank to in behind the driver kick plate. Is there any stringer in the way or pretty easy to get there?

Looking for some help with respect to size of port console area. I wanted to start on a amp board and I am wondering if someone could give me some very ROUGH dimensions of the area against hull. My boats in storage but I'm too impatiient to wait and I would like to start on the board. Once done I was going to strip everything off (led light, amp, etc) then cut plywood and fit properly once I get my boat. I'm thinking if I took a piece 36"x 48"that would be more than enough? Any thoughts?

sizeofport_zpsdaaec5c0.jpg

Dave,

Personally I would wait until I had boat access. There are so many details to consider such as how a larger than factory amp panel will mount, if you will elevate the base of the amp panel off the sole a bit, will you use the space behind the amp panel to conceal all or some of the wiring, drainage behind the panel, the layout of the amplifiers, all power distribution and junction blocks, wiring raceways, keeping the RCAs and supply cable paths somewhat separated, is there room for a charger, etc, etc.

With one trip to the boat armed with good lighting, posterboard or cardboard, a tape measure, straight edge, square, scissors, markers and so on...., you can pre-build & cover, pre-load and pre-wire the entire amp panel from home or shop.

Less impulse and more careful planning will take you a long way.

David

Your right. Until I can find heated storage with a 12' door I didn't want to take off the shrink wrap. I pretty much know how much room I want between amps so I should be ok. I am planning a amp rack with possibly that spray stone looking paint with a lacqeur sealer. If it doesn't look good then i'll do carpet once I get the true template made and plywood cut. I was planning on at least 12 short flexible pieces of led stripes which will be alot of work to cut, solder and put into place.

Edited by Dave K