Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile HLCD Tower Speakers (XM7)

Dave K

Hey Everyone. Last fall I picked up a 2006 Wakesetter VLX with a factory stereo which NEEDS TO GO ! My boat is in storage til spring so I can only go on what I can remember as far a boat features go. I am at a toss up for tower speakers. I am quite farmiliar with the Kicker 6 pack but I was wanting to ask opinions on the Exile HLCD speakers. If you have these... did you mount them on the factory mounts or hung them from the top pipe??

mtspic.jpg

i had the kicker 6 pack on my old boat and i was happy. i had one pair of the exile xm9's with the harpoon amp and to me the sound was nearly equal (prob a little better with the xm9). i threw on a second pair of the xm9's and i am blown away. i would highly recommend the exile xm9 setup. if you only get 1 pair you will be extreemly happy and it leaves room to add to your system later. if you get the kicker setup it will also sound great however no room for more later on.

mount them with the exile adapter setup. it is very high quality!!!

I am also looking to add the xm7's... It seems like all post are more directed to the xm9's. Are the 7's not worthy of the comparison to the kickers?

I have had both the XM7 and the XM9, I would go with the 9's much warmer and I feel a better all around sound, and they sound great at 80+ feet, You really feel the mid base, that's my favorite feature of the 9's

I think I will go with the 9's. Affordable amps? Found out today the PO of my new to me boat had 2 interior speakers and two crappy tower speakers hooked up to a 6500 mtx amp which I am pretty sure is a mono sub amp.. I just got all new exile inboats,next is make amp rack, get inboat amp, get tower speakers and amp, zld, second battery, distribution block, wires...wow not looking good! My first boat stereo project..kinda excited! Sorry for the hi jack

Edited by Mjlee1985

I was thinking that might be good for the in boats? Then getting one of those nvs or ppi 4 channel amps in case I want to add MORE! Not sure I need some advice

I recommend the Exile Harpoon amp to run the XM9s, I have 2 pairs running on the Harpoon amp, My Buddy just has one pair of XM9's and he went with the harpoon just in case he wants to add a second pair later, I have 3 pairs of the XM9's on the tower, I run the 800.4 on my last pair of 9's.

So would the arc amp in classifieds be good for 4 sx65m's?

If there were such a thing as overkill, it might be a bit much. But given that we all know that too much is never enough, it would work fine.

So what 4 channel amp size would be perfect? They are 100w Rms 200 peak..I don't want to be dealing with blown speakers but I want it to sound awesome!

sorry that was somewhat tongue in cheek. 125w x 4 will be just fine. Generally speaking a little extra power will be better than not enough, because with not enough you will push your amp to distortion to get the sound level you expect. A little extra rms power gives you some "headroom."

Just make sure you tune the amp's gains properly and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Not sure but the website says 175x4 @2ohms...or 90x4 @ 4ohms. 75 watts over rms seems high and what I have read just like shawndoggy said I think I need a little head room?so not sure whether I should be running the exiles at 2 or 4 ohms but both seem to be not a perfect match? I am new to this stereo thing so pretty much all I know is what I have read here on the crew. Thanks for the input guys!

Mjlee,

Your 4 speakers are 4 ohm each. They are not changeable, so they will stay at 4 ohm each nominal impedance. You are looking at a 4 chnl, so that would be one speaker per chnl, so the amp will see a 4 ohm load per chnl. At that load, the amp will deliver the stated 90W rms x 4 @ 4 ohm to each speaker.