Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 malibu sportster ballast?

MalibuBnut

I have a 98 malibu sportster closed bow. I am wondering how much weight I should use to get the best wake. I don't want the wedge so that is out. Believe it or not I can already get inverted with no ballast. I just want more hang time. Any info on this specific boat will help. Thanks Bnut.

To get a decent (at best) wake behind that boat without using a wedge I put a 1000lb. bow sac in the front of the boat, (2) 550lb behind the motor, and a couple hundred pounds of concrete (quickrete bags wrapped up in a trash bag) towards the rear. Basically once you fill the 1000 in the bow, put however much weight in the rear + sides it takes to get the platform 1" under water. The boat will be sitting pretty low, but the wake will be decent enough.

• 1 month later...

To get a decent (at best) wake behind that boat without using a wedge I put a 1000lb. bow sac in the front of the boat, (2) 550lb behind the motor, and a couple hundred pounds of concrete (quickrete bags wrapped up in a trash bag) towards the rear. Basically once you fill the 1000 in the bow, put however much weight in the rear + sides it takes to get the platform 1" under water. The boat will be sitting pretty low, but the wake will be decent enough.

Holy Chit! That's a lotta weight, seems sketchy but I'm a newb at this. I've got a 96 Sunsetter LX and we're thinking about adding weight for a better wake but I didn't realize it was that much.

Sorry to hijack, good luck with the wake!

I had a 01 and a 03 sportster LX and I had 375 tube sacs beside the motor and 250 in lead under the dash but I also used the wedge and it was a really nice wake.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought two 540lb straight line bags from wakemakers. The specs say they are 20" in diameter. I've got 16" between the engine cover and the sides of the boat. Hope it will be alright. Can't wait to see how much bigger the wake is. Cheers

I just bought two 540lb straight line bags from wakemakers. The specs say they are 20" in diameter. I've got 16" between the engine cover and the sides of the boat. Hope it will be alright. Can't wait to see how much bigger the wake is. Cheers

You might end up breaking the bracket free that holds your gas springs to the floor. I did that with mine last year with too much weight.

My 91 Sunsetter doesn't have gas springs. I am however a little worried that it might break the plywood dividers on the sides of the boat. I cut some wedges out of 2X4's for support so hopefully that works.

I think I am going to start out with the 260# bags on both sides of the engine and a couple a hundred #s on the rear seat. Surely that with give me a much better wake than I am getting now without any ballast. The other thing is I don't have a tower, but I have a pole extension. Seems to work fine, I just need a wakeboard rack any ideas on where I can get one that fits the Flyhigh pole?

I don't think it will be too hard to make a rack myself. What would be good to use as weight in the bow? Because it is a closed bow space is limited. I want to get about 150#s in there. I was also wondering what tower to get cause that might be an option this summer? I want one that looks nice and is rigid. Thanks for the help.

I have an open bow so i dont know how much you can fit in there. But the more the merrier!! I have a monster MT1 tower and love it.

martinarcher

My 91 Sunsetter doesn't have gas springs. I am however a little worried that it might break the plywood dividers on the sides of the boat. I cut some wedges out of 2X4's for support so hopefully that works.

No worries....you'll be fine. :whistle: But seriously, add a little at a time and see how she does. Just be warned....adding weight and seeing the results can get addicting. :)

IMAG0985.jpg

martinarcher

Wow it looks like that bag would tip the boat over. I do like the tower though.

Thanks...that was the test run in the garage. It is just filled with air. We don't run it near full in the water. I basically fill it until the rub rail on the surf side is just barely wet while underway.

Thanks - the tower was a huge project and is actually a Titan III off a 23 LSV. If you bored the whole project is here.

GOPR0018.jpg

More ballast pics here. and here.

Martinarcher you are the man! The gate you fabbed up is amazing. And your tower fab is awesome too. I feel like my boat sits kinda low. I hope that I can get a good wake. I don't think I can add too much weight on either side the fly high 260# bags is all that will fit. I guess I am going to have to add weight to the back but like I said the sportster sits low I really don't want to take on too much water. No surfing here just wakeboarding. Thanks for your help.

I have no idea how to post pics. I have pics and video of it on the water I just don't know how to show them. Sorry.

martinarcher

Martinarcher you are the man! The gate you fabbed up is amazing. And your tower fab is awesome too. I feel like my boat sits kinda low. I hope that I can get a good wake. I don't think I can add too much weight on either side the fly high 260# bags is all that will fit. I guess I am going to have to add weight to the back but like I said the sportster sits low I really don't want to take on too much water. No surfing here just wakeboarding. Thanks for your help.

Thanks...I'm just a guy that likes to mess with his boat.

I would bet the Fly High 500lb v-drive bags would fit fine on either side of the engine. That is what I used to run in my Skier for wakeboarding with great results. My buddies Sporty is no smaller than the Skier.

No problem