Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydroturf to replace the carpet I hate.

Big Jay D

You might be able to get it anodized (I think that's what they call it). We have all aluminum dock sections and they don't get hot at all.

Good looking install.

When your swim platform needs to be recovered, that would finish it off FO SUR!

Forgot to mention:

Love the "Power Blocks", they have many uses.

I have a set and love them.

The aluminum post holder for the table would get super hot. That's why I removed it. That and because the table never gets used. I'm kinda liking the emblem in the floor idea. I might get some plastic to fill the hole better than the piece pictured above. I just need to make some time and go outside and play with it.

The power blocks are great for losing toe nails too.

That really looks great. What kind of glue did you use?

It comes with 3M PSA. Just a giant peel and stick foam decal LOL

That is AWESOME looking........what is your total investment thus far.....(excluding your labor of course)

$109 per sheet. 2 Sheets plus shipping. I bought a can of Bondo brand Bondoglass to make the floor flat and some 3M 5200 marine adhesive. And a $6 plastic cutting board to use as spacers to make the fuel tank cover level.

Under $300. I have enough Hydro-turf left (I bought 3 sheets) to do my swim deck, the tops of my fenders, the tops of the gun wales and a few other select areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced replaced my carpet last spring with the same material as hydroturf but cheaper (bought it at Wallmart!) holds up very well, no apparent damage after a 100 hours of use, but more fragile to cuts than carpet. Very comfortable and does not hold sand or water like carpet does. Just make sure you let the contact glue (must be neoprene based) dry for the correct amount of time before you assemble the hydroturf or you could end up with gas pockets under the hydroturf when the suns heats it up, If it happens juste pierce a hole with a needle to release the gas and then apply pressure to glue it back and it won't happen again.

I replaced replaced my carpet last spring with the same material as hydroturf but cheaper (bought it at Wallmart!) holds up very well, no apparent damage after a 100 hours of use, but more fragile to cuts than carpet. Very comfortable and does not hold sand or water like carpet does. Just make sure you let the contact glue (must be neoprene based) dry for the correct amount of time before you assemble the hydroturf or you could end up with gas pockets under the hydroturf when the suns heats it up, If it happens juste pierce a hole with a needle to release the gas and then apply pressure to glue it back and it won't happen again.

The hydroturf comes with 3m adhesive all ready on it, peel and stick.

• 3 months later...

Just an update. So far EVERYONE LOVES the hydroturf. I did the swim step and the nose too. I have one gunwale done. I had a lot of people ask how hard it was and how much it was. This is by far the best mod I have done yet. The upgraded stereo kicks a** and I love my bimini but the floor rocks!

• 4 months later...

This is on my list of upgrades for sure. This year was my first year and I find that the carpet always gets wet in the boat. It never gets a chance to dry out since it is on a lift and I cover it when I leave it there for the week. My carpet was basically wet all summer and it's also hard to get the sand and other dirt that comes in out of it. How did it hold up over the summer months?

I'm getting ready to do this but I have a couple of questions about your install.

1. What size sheets did you get?

2. How did the joint between the sheets end up? Is it holding up well?

3. So you lift all the seats off the bottom, cut along the lines where the seats used to be, lay the hydroturf on top and cut it along the line?

4. How was the prep work other than having to level the gas tank cover? Was it a lot of sanding?

Any other tips you can give me?

The floor seems to be holding up well. If I had to do it over it would try to get it unbrushed. Meaning they put no texture on it. Also the white seems to get dirty easy. Not hard to clean. The white is also UV sensitive. It has shown signs of degradation. Makes for a cool texture but I don't know how much longer it will last. This is only on the swim deck and nose.

The floor seems to be holding up well. If I had to do it over it would try to get it unbrushed. Meaning they put no texture on it. Also the white seems to get dirty easy. Not hard to clean. The white is also UV sensitive. It has shown signs of degradation. Makes for a cool texture but I don't know how much longer it will last. This is only on the swim deck and nose.

I was thinking of just a plain grey diamond cut or something similar. The two tone grey and black is pretty nice.

I sanded the floor to try and smooth the surface. I used a belt sander. Fast work.

Yep I pulled all the seat bunks and made a template using paper. Plastic stretches.

I bought 3 sheets. Biggest they sell. I used 2 pieces to do the interior. The last sheet was for the swim deck. I have lots left over and I use it randomly for different things.

I do want to add a drain in the rear somewhere because it doesn't soak up any water. I took a surf wave over the bow and it didn't swamp the boat but the little bit if water that made it on the deck made its way under the seat bunks and made the carpet wet. I might think about doing it wall to wall if I did it again. But the carpet is nice in the storage. Looks nice in there.

My boat came from the factory with Seadek, which is nearly identical to Hydroturf. It has held up pretty well for 7 years. You can get the contact cement and DIY, but just get it with the 3M peel and stick backing. The swim platform shows some cuts from board fin damage, but I see another X number of years before even thinking of replacing it. A few friends have installed in in their boats and have commented they will never go back to carpet. Since the rear storage bins usually get wet with gear, I will probably pull the carpet in those bins and possibly most of the other bins and install Hydroturf this winter. Another great area to put it down is on the gunwale (gunnel) where you step onto the boat.

Edited by Iceberg
  • 4 weeks later...