Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydroturf to replace the carpet I hate.

Big Jay D

I thought about doing the whole boat but the cost increase would be substantial (doubled) and I don't mind having carpet in the storage compartments. It still looks good and I like the way it holds things still. I have a couple of boxes that have all my spare parts and McGyver equipment and just a little velcro and they are locked into place.

I am still kind of torn on colors. Part of me wants to just do grey, simple. But the other part wants to do Snow Camo. I think the SnowCamo will hide any cuts or divots that are bound to happen. It will also be very unique. As it is I think I can get this project done with just 2 big sheets. Plus I want to get the swim deck recovered too. That's a whole new sheet.

And it wasn't hard to remove the bolsters. The hardest part was getting the under-seat cooler out of the way (it's not going back in) and finding all the hidden screws under the carpet.

Ok, googled hydro turf. Cool stuff, but I would be worried about gouges in the material over time. Definitely an easy clean though and I think would look cool, but I'm a carpet guy.

What about getting a custom snap in over the existing carpet?

could you pull the carpet out whole wall to wall, roll it up and save it, for the next owner.

I get that the wall to wall would be more expensive, but making all of those cuts in the hydro turf around all those corners would be difficult.

Ok, googled hydro turf. Cool stuff, but I would be worried about gouges in the material over time. Definitely an easy clean though and I think would look cool, but I'm a carpet guy.

What about getting a custom snap in over the existing carpet?

I had a snap in carpet in my other boat. LOVED IT! EASY TO CLEAN! I just dont like the idea of covering old crappy carpet with some $500 rug. Maybe I will put a Snap in carpet over the hydroturf next winter. Carpet is warm on the toes in the winter.

could you pull the carpet out whole wall to wall, roll it up and save it, for the next owner.

I get that the wall to wall would be more expensive, but making all of those cuts in the hydro turf around all those corners would be difficult.

I'm not one to get rid of toys too often. I am really happy with the LSV and the fact that it has a simple SBC 350 and no crazy Maliview makes me even more happy. I suppose that there might come a time WAY down the road when I will offload the LSV but it will so old at that point that I don't think the flooring will be of much concern.

The hydroturf actually cuts very easily. I have some on my hydrofoil. I plan on cutting the carpet and removing the old junk. Then cleaning the surface. Sand it if I have too and make the fuel tank cover level with the rest of the floor. Once the prep is done I will screw the hydroturf to the floor in places where it won't be a permanent hole. Except the fuel tank cover screws. Once its screwed down I can simply cut it along the cut carpet. Pull the adhesive backing cover and that's it.

I hope.

i'm really curious about how this turns out, especially long term.

i really, really, really don't like carpet in a boat. it's just wrong.

i do wonder if pockets of water will creep into any voids and end up being a slimy/moldy mess.

almost wish the hydroturf was substantial enough to stay put with out adhesive.

it's getting pretty close to being just about perfect.

I thought about doing the whole boat but the cost increase would be substantial (doubled) and I don't mind having carpet in the storage compartments. It still looks good and I like the way it holds things still. I have a couple of boxes that have all my spare parts and McGyver equipment and just a little velcro and they are locked into place.

I am still kind of torn on colors. Part of me wants to just do grey, simple. But the other part wants to do Snow Camo. I think the SnowCamo will hide any cuts or divots that are bound to happen. It will also be very unique. As it is I think I can get this project done with just 2 big sheets. Plus I want to get the swim deck recovered too. That's a whole new sheet.

Can you post photos or links to the colors/patterns you are thinking about?

http://hydroturf.com/pwc_matcolors.php

The above page will show all the colors available. All the different cut options as well. As you browse around you will find that some styles and colors are not available in certain size sheets or cuts. They also sell 2 types. The SUP/SURF turf is 'softer' than the BOAT/PWC turf. I had them send me a sample and I could hardly tell the difference. The SUP/SURF sample they sent had the "heavy brushing" that comes on the flat SUP/SURF turf. It looks like a wire brush was run over the top taking maybe .5mm off the top and it actually blends the camo together better and makes the lines softer. The more cuts they make and the two-tone stuff is more spendy. You can get the BOAT/PWC turf without the adhesive backing.

I was thinking about doing the plain grey flat but I think that it will show the damage that is bound to occur much easier. So I'm pretty sure I'm going with the snow camo. My boat is white and grey so it fits.

DECKadence Marine Flooring

http://marineflooring.net/

http://marineflooring.net/about-dmf/

The above stuff, while pretty expensive, seems awesome due to it's advantages (granted their opinon). I saw a thread on this before...

Any experience out there?

Edited by malibuparadise

The above stuff, while pretty expensive, seems awesome due to it's advantages (granted their opinon). I saw a thread on this before...

I called Paul's canvas in CO and he said about $12 a square foot. So somewhere around $600-$800. My Malibu is nice but not that nice lol.

The Deckadence flooring is an option offered in Tige boats as the Poseidon Mat. I've seen it, but never been on the water with it...lot's of good reviews from owners though.

Edited by thtrog