Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Viscosity

When is it going to warm up?? I am the new owner of a 2000 SLXI that I bought in December and I have to look at it in the driveway each day--it is killing me not to be able to get out on the water!

The prior owner didn't change the oil or filter at the end of last year so that is first on my list this spring. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I just came out of a MC 205 at the end of last year...and MC calls for 20w50 in their Indmar engine. I have read the winterization thread and Malibu recommends 15w40...I have a garage full of 20w50 for the last boat and the motorcycles--is it acceptable to use it in the Monsoon??

I only use 15-40. Your Monsoon will be working hard and needs all the protection of a good oil. That said if you change oil when required would think you would OK (20-50 is alot better for the Monsoon than 5-30)

I think the bottom line is where you are located. If you are in a warm climate with warm climate it will most likely be fine. The main issue is startup wear. If you live in a cooler climate the oil will be thick on startup and your engine will not have as much protection. The bottom number on the multi viscosity number is the thickness when cold and the top is thicknes when hot (not exactly but you get the picutre). That being said,

Malibu has just sent out a service buletin for HH motors to use 40 wt racing oil to help with oil consumption.

That is extremely thick on startup and if they say that can be used in a cool climate then I think that you will probably be safe using 20-50. Remember this is JMO and you should probably confirm this with your dealer so you do not void your warranty. Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

I think it's more important to make sure you're using and oil with the specs of API Service SJ/CG4 or equivalent rather than specific weights. If your running in cold climates 20degrees or colder (right never going to happen in my boat) use SAE 10W-30 API Service SJ/CD. Some dealers have recommended 20-50 as others have mentioned before. However unless I was in a cold environment I'd use 15-40.

Your 20w-50 will be fine, just change it every year or so. Has anyone ever seen a ski boat with a "worn out" engine, I sure haven't, but up here in the great northwest we don't get to put a lot of hours on them.

I second using up your 20W-50.

Go for it, its not gonna hurt anything.

edit: Welcome to the the site, Rat. Glad you came over from MC.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Thanks for all of the info--looks like I will use the 20w50 since I have a boatload of it already! Biggrin.gif

SacRiverRat--what river? We are on the James in Central Va--the best skiing water ever. We have a two mile stretch that not many people have access to -- you could shave in the reflection if you wanted to! Sometimes it is so smooth that it is hard to see the water surface when we cut...just wish it would warm up!!

Thanks for all of the info--looks like I will use the 20w50 since I have a boatload of it already! Biggrin.gif

SacRiverRat--what river? We are on the James in Central Va--the best skiing water ever. We have a two mile stretch that not many people have access to -- you could shave in the reflection if you wanted to! Sometimes it is so smooth that it is hard to see the water surface when we cut...just wish it would warm up!!

Not sure why you are cutting so hard.. just take a progressive edge, and pop off the wake Tongue.gif

I ride on the Sacramento River, though definitely not exclusively...