Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Enter key not working when posting - IE 10, Win 8

Nitrousbird

Running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, with the included IE 10. You can type whatever you want, but the enter key does not bring you down to the next line (it does nothing). Shift + enter and Ctrl + enter doesn't do anything either.

Works fine with Google Chrome on the same PC. Enter key does work on other message boards without issue in Win 8/IE 10 (one example being Wakeworld).

IE is the problem. It's always the problem.

I realize something changed in IE 10 that isn't compatiable with TMC's webposting format...but can you fix it? IE is the most used browser in the world after all. :)

http://www.wakeworld...ad.php?t=796056

Looks like Wakeworld is having issues as well.

I've never had an issue on Wakeworld with IE 9 or IE 10. If you read all the posts in that thread people are having issues with other browsers as well. They are having scripting errors...I'm sure from their over abundance of ads they are constantly hawking.

I have had issues with posting here on IE 9 as well - usually it would give the little waiting bar and not actually post. Simply copy what I was going to post, refresh the page, and past it back in and it will post every time. Does it on my work laptop and my desktop when I was running IE 9. Haven't seen that issue with IE 10 but now have the enter issue.

None of the other message boards I use have had this problem.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Probably another item that comes with every OS update. These forums are brought to you with a software package that is continuously updated to keep up with the OS changes. Wakegirl keeps up with these updates WHEN they are released. I've noticed an increase in double posts in the last few months, probably from what you describe in the above post. I'm sure this will be fixed in an update as well. Sometimes there is actually something we can do on our end but most times we are at the mercy of the forum software engineers that issue the updates. If there are several members having the same issue, you can bet that other forums that use this version of the forum software are having the issue too. This is why we have Supporting members like yourself. Some of these updates cost $$ and without the support from members it would not be possible to keep the updates current. We are on it.

I realize something changed in IE 10 that isn't compatiable with TMC's webposting format...but can you fix it? IE is the most used browser in the world after all. :)

Not until Invision issues an update, which they haven't.

EDIT: What I'm about to say isn't meant to be snarky. But seriously, If people would just stop using IE, 99% of these types of problems would go away. That isn't an exageration. Now I realize that in most enterprise environments, that isn't a reality & in those cases, they're going to have to deal with the issues/bugs that come with using IE. In those cases, it just is what it is. But....I highly doubt that many enterprise environments have migrated to 8 yet. And so I'm going repeat what I always tell people when yet another IE-related problem comes up: use Firefox.

I see Firefox going the way of Netscape in the next couple of years. Most Enterprise setups should be on IE 8 by now, with some on IE 9 (just upgraded to 9 on my work laptop).

My wife is a dedicated Firefox user but I find that browser very buggy. She uses IE for work stuff but likes running a different browser with her personal stuff so they don't mix - but won't take to Google Chrome.

I like Chrome except for the lack of drop-down in the address bar for recent websites, something I use a lot in IE. I also found since IE 9 that Chrome isn't any faster than IE. I personally haven't had any real issues with IE since 9.

And IE isn't buggy? Ironic, given that the problem you're reporting is an incompatibility bug in IE. All software is buggy, to one degree or another. It's how the developer responds to the issues that should make or break the deal.

I've been doing this for almost 8 years now, & of the hundreds of browser issues that I've seen come up over the years only a handful (a number that you could probably count on 1 hand) could be attributed to a browser that wasn't IE. What's more, that small number were always fixed by an update from that browser's developer. Imagine that. I've never, ever seen that happen with any iteration of IE. Ever. MS has a stubborn, steadfast, almost arrogant refusal to fix the crap that they create, & people should not support companies that provide such terrible support. IMO.

One more thing, I can't tell you how many sections of code that I've seen in this & other web software that begins with a comment like "ugly hack to make this work in IE". And yet I don't think that I've ever seen anything like that referencing any other browser. There's a reason that IE is not the #1 browser used in the tech world.

And IE isn't buggy? Ironic, given that the problem you're reporting is an incompatibility bug in IE. All software is buggy, to one degree or another. It's how the developer responds to the issues that should make or break the deal.

I've been doing this for almost 8 years now, & of the hundreds of browser issues that I've seen come up over the years only a handful (a number that you could probably count on 1 hand) could be attributed to a browser that wasn't IE. What's more, that small number were always fixed by an update from that browser's developer. Imagine that. I've never, ever seen that happen with any iteration of IE. Ever. MS has a stubborn, steadfast, almost arrogant refusal to fix the crap that they create, & people should not support companies that provide such terrible support. IMO.

One more thing, I can't tell you how many sections of code that I've seen in this & other web software that begins with a comment like "ugly hack to make this work in IE". And yet I don't think that I've ever seen anything like that referencing any other browser. There's a reason that IE is not the #1 browser used in the tech world.

NONE of the software engineers at work use IE....ever. :lol:

No way IE is not the most used broswer. IE has been on the decent for years..... IE10 is their last gasp as keep any share of the browser market on PC's.

http://www.w3schools...wsers_stats.asp

"Note: W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives."

http://bgr.com/2012/...net-explorerer/

browser.png

Edited by Tyger

"Note: W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives."

http://bgr.com/2012/...net-explorerer/

Dang....someone read the fine print. :lol: Seriously though, Chrome overtook IE this summer. I'm a nerd and it's been all over the techy news sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Whether or not it's #1 isn't relevant. Lots of things are #1 that aren't the best. Coders typically spend more time getting a page to render correctly in IE than they do on all other browsers combined. People need to stop using that POS & stop supporting the type of proprietary BS that MS propagates with IE. Browser standards are in place for a reason, & MS has consistently ignored those standards over the years.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...