Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'03 VLX Ballast addition

saskicker32

Hey so I'm new to the crew but old to malibu, however I have a new (to me) '03 VLX. I have MLS equipped with the middle and two rear tanks. I was looking to upgrade. I have been searching this forum for about the last week and I think I know what I need to do, but I would like some confirmation as I'm a little nervous.

Here is my plan:

I want to remove the rear tanks and but Fly High 1100s in the back to lockers. Since I'm removing the stock tanks I would already have pumps back there. Can I just hook those up with an adapter to the new fly highs in there? Would I need to install a vent tube as well? Basically what else would I need for the rear sacs.

Next I want to put a tank up in the my bow, I have seen the U shaped fly high sac that I have hear will fill to around 350 pounds, but I may have to piece this together being on a budget. So my thoughts were to plumb this in, i would remove my t-handled plug from in the ski locker, use a ball valve and hook up a tsunami pump to pump my front tank. Then I would use a drain valve from either side of the U and bring those hoses together using a Y connector before the pump so the pump is working both sides simultaneously, and then Y connect the drain hose to the drain valve for my center ballast.

Could this work? like I said the budget is trying to hold me back but I already have one pump and hopefully only have to buy one more and then the three sacs (190x2) and 270. Thats like 700 for the pump and tanks and that doesn't include the adapters/piping/wiring/etc.

If anyone could give me insight if this could work/better ways, I would be gratefull thank you

you need a bow sack. without some poundage up front and 1100's in the rear you will have a hard time reaching a plain and will not be able to use the wedge. I have 750's in the rear 350 center and a 650 v sack up front that I fill externally over the side. the front sack will also fit under the front seats if I need the room. I considered plumbing the front in permanently but over the side works fine and gives more flexability.

We are planning to do the W711, it will widen out the wake and make it firmer, for surfing it will make the pocket longer. With that much rear weight you will definetely need it. The ideal is a 60/40 weight distribution, 60 rear 40 front.

Ya, I thought about the adding the back first and having the problem of too much weight in the back, so thats a no go, but will my set up work? using the existing pumps for the rears and then hooking the fill pump into the drain plug in the ski locker? I'll hopefully have downtime (December-March/April) to hopefully be able to save some money and purchase everything so I can do the install before next season.

Ya, I thought about the adding the back first and having the problem of too much weight in the back, so thats a no go, but will my set up work? using the existing pumps for the rears and then hooking the fill pump into the drain plug in the ski locker? I'll hopefully have downtime (December-March/April) to hopefully be able to save some money and purchase everything so I can do the install before next season.

I removed the hard tanks and installed a pair of 750 pounders. I plumbed the tanks without air bleeds and they work great. Be sure your drain lines loop up to the top of your gunwale and I installed oneway valves on the feed lines.

As far as the bow and locker area, I have a LSV WS so mine is totally different up front. NOt sure what you are working with without some pictures.

For you rear ballast wakemakers has this:

http://www.wakemakers.com/tankbuster-750-ballst-system-upgrade.html

I am assuming your hard tanks are above the floor. I dont know of the 1100# sacs would fit in your vdirve plus depending on your prop and engine you likely cant plane with those in your vdrives anyways, though they would work for surfing.

For that amount of weight in your vdirve you need quite a bit of weight up front. to give you an idea, I run 1900# in my vdrive when full. To counter this I run about 1200lb in the bow for wakeboarding. #350 is a little light.

I dont know if the draining will work for your front sac. It may be difficult to get the pump to prime if you are putting any sort of distance between the bag and the pump. You would need to add check valves to each side of the drain lines before you Y them together.

My suggestion, save your money. Buy a reverisble pump. It will cost about $150 more to do the installation for your front sac and you will never be happier and never have problems.

I would never fill the 1100s up full for wakeboarding, merely wakesurfing, with my stock tanks everyone can throw mostly anything they want behind the boat (backrolls, tantrums, 360s, etc.) I want it just a little bigger so I may fill them to maybe 500 for wakeboarding, but make full use of them for wakesurfing. As for the reversible, all I hear is good things, my first drawback is I would be scared to mount it anywhere (drilling into fiberglass scares me haha) and second it comes to price, I have been fortunate enough that my dad and I bought the boat together, but he pitched in way more money and the boat is actually at school with me and is used by the schools wakeboard club. So I would be paying for all of this on a college budget. But thank you everyone for input, I really do appreciate it.

my first drawback is I would be scared to mount it anywhere (drilling into fiberglass scares me haha) and second it comes to price,

Yeah I was a little nervous about mounting mine but it went in just fine. I mounted it in the passenger compartment on the asileway wall. To do so i had to move the fire extinguisher that was mounted there. I simply measured the screw length added what i needed and went to home depot and found the right size screw. I predrilled the holes and screwed them in. super easy and i can easily get to the pump if I need to replace the impeller.

I think you will find that once you add in all the additional hosing and clamps ($20), check valves ($45), and Ys ($10) and pump ($50) you will only be paying about $50 more for the reversible installation.

Not to mention you will likely have empty issues. I have a half of foot of hose between my aerator pumps and my vdrive sacs and i have constant issues with getting the bags to completely empty. I am usually left with a couple hundred pounds in them.

• 2 weeks later...

you need a bow sack. without some poundage up front and 1100's in the rear you will have a hard time reaching a plain and will not be able to use the wedge. I have 750's in the rear 350 center and a 650 v sack up front that I fill externally over the side. the front sack will also fit under the front seats if I need the room. I considered plumbing the front in permanently but over the side works fine and gives more flexability.

Not to highjack...but...what pump do you use to fill over the side? How long does it take?

• 1 year later...

Hey Crew, how'd it go with the Tankbusters? I just ordered two 750's for the rear and the integrated bow sac for the front from WakeMakers... Stock hard ballast + wedge + stock belly ballast was still too small for my preferences while wakeboarding.

WIth the above purchased items, if I fully fill the stock belly ballast, the new bow sac, and the two 750's, should that be good enough for weight distribution for wakeboarding? Then for wakesurfing, drop the wedge and empty one side (or at least partially)?

Did anyone have any advice/tips/problems for installing the TankBuster system? Thanks!!