Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the one for me?

Levi900RR

I have a friend of a friend who it a boat owner (not an inboard) going to take a look at this thing. Honestly, I think I am going to offer the guy 18K. Buy the time I put the racks I want on it, Perfect Pass and plumb in ballast I'm gonna have a pretty significant chunk of coin into those upgrades. And the reality is I am kind of in the drivers seat on this one. I have ALL winter to find the one thats right for me.

If my buddy says is clean, I'll offer 18K, maybe I'd pay 18.5K

• Like 3

If that's the origanal interior on a 2001 not faded or ripped that tells you something. I don't see any dock rash. I don't see removing the wedge as a problem. If thay had taken the time to oil the platform I think this thred would be alot shorter and you would own it. if this was one year ago that boat would be mine (I am happy with my 04 but I paid alot more)

How do you hit a trailer due to low water? Bunks don't move up or down with the water, I don't get that.

I guess it is possible if you completely submerged the trailer and messed up when you are loading. Like you said, most of the time the bunk would catch your hull and kinda guide you in.

Levi,

Good offer strategy for that boat. I was thinking $17-$18 would be reasonable but definitely not $20k. But there are some good points the guys are pointing out that needs to be answered.

Do some searches on different forums and you will find a number of people that have hit their trailer with the prop. It comes down to a very bad design on certain trailers and if the angle in the water is just right BAM you may have just messed up your prop. I can totally see taking off the wedge, some people hate it and why would you want some $600 + thing hanging off the back of the boat just to look down there some day and find it missing. To me this boat looks pretty good all the things you want to add, isn't going to matter to the guy selling it. You are going to have to pay a little more for a nicer boat. When I bought a boat from Cali I paid a guy from WakeWorld to go take a look at it for me (I think I paid him $50) He did a great job and I knew exactly what I was getting into, then I had it shipped to Minnesota thru Uship.com. Everything worked out great and I'm glad I have the boat I have. You must get a third eye on this thing soon otherwise you could be talking about the one that got away.

Nick, I agree 100% I am trying to arrange for someone to put an eyeball on it. Honestly I think the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger is I am still hoping mainekneeboarder is going to come around and sell me his... :drool:

Levi.....

Seems to me you have a HARD time making decisions....and are ALL OVER THE PLACE....

Not saying that is a BAD THING OR A GOOD THING....IT IS JUST A THING...

With that said, seems to me, you need to wait for whatever reason, whether it is a financial burden for you at this time, or it just simply isn't the RIGHT boat for you...

....which when everything is RIGHT for you and your particular circumstances ....the Decision WILL AND SHOULD be an EASY Decision..

Remember Boats are Just Toys, and Toys are meant to be enjoyed, not stressed over...

Not all of us are blessed enough to pay cash for our toys, (which is always the best way to pay for ANY toy) so if you have to make a payment, it should not hurt or make you question writing the monthly check....

From my view, it would seem to me you should just chill and wait till things are an EASY decision for you and your family...

JMHO

The trailer that sat under my old LSV was a bad design. When sitting on the trailer I could just barely get my little finger between the prop and prop guard, that always just freaked me out.

If a bunk pops loose due to rot or old age while putting it on the trailer you are instantly screwed.

I can understand removing the wedge. The wedge on my boat digs into the water quite a bit when turning at high speed (turn-arounds in the slalom course), and I think it adds to how much speed I loose in the turn.

I agree with others that the owner will probably not care about the things you want to add. Board racks, PP, and auto ballast are a personal choice. His boat is what it is, and if you want it you need to pay him what he wants. Not saying that you shouldn't offer less and hope for the best, I just wouldn't let him know why you are offering less.

Good Luck!

Though I don't think this boat is a deal you need to rush out and get, let's put it in perspective. You aren't going to find a mint '01 WS/SS VLX with a full auto-ballast system, loaded with options, good stereo, PP, good trailer, low hours and excellent condition for 20k. Some of that yes, but not all. When I negotiated ours down to 20k last year, it had the good trailer, loaded with options part, but no PP, crap stereo, and needed some minor vinyl work and cleaning. Reality is these boats are at the bottom of their depreciation cycle and will likely hold their same value for a few more years.

For me personally, I'd pass due to the trailer...many more mid-optioned VLX's will come up over the next year in this price range.

• Like 2

Though I don't think this boat is a deal you need to rush out and get, let's put it in perspective. You aren't going to find a mint '01 WS/SS VLX with a full auto-ballast system, loaded with options, good stereo, PP, good trailer, low hours and excellent condition for 20k. Some of that yes, but not all. When I negotiated ours down to 20k last year, it had the good trailer, loaded with options part, but no PP, crap stereo, and needed some minor vinyl work and cleaning. Reality is these boats are at the bottom of their depreciation cycle and will likely hold their same value for a few more years.

For me personally, I'd pass due to the trailer...many more mid-optioned VLX's will come up over the next year in this price range.

There are LOTS of used boats out there...lots of repos...all ya gotta do is look...There is a fella in Sacto, that's all he does is buy repos. clean them up and flip them...It is insane to buy a brand new one, unless you want to be the first to scratch it, ding it, etc...specially when you can find 1-3 year old 25-33% cheaper even more than buying a new one....Only if you have enough money that it does not matter...or you need that special color... or want that LSA engine....

Heck I just sold my 1990 lake boat...put almost 675 hours on it, had it for 10 + years, course I maintained it, fixed what need fixing, improved the stereo, etc and sold it for $1,000 less than I bought it for. COurse it had a new trailer under it, as some derfwad drove into it and totaled the old one..so it had a $5,500 2 year trailer under it. And thanks to MA and his surfgate, it will do almost the same as that $80-90k boat!!

But if you get a v-drive there won't be a dog house for your kids to sit on and bonk their heads on the ski pole when come off the throttle..........

Just kidding.

Too many things that make you go Hummmmmmmm? Starting with, what kind of seller posts pictures that are 3 years old? Why? The second set of pics remind me of the old saying, " If it looks to good to be true....." Maybe it just needs a little TLC, but you asked alot of questions and I'm not sure you received straight answers.

I'm not sweating the trailer. I only trailer in the early spring, and late fall and its only about 8 miles.

As far as not feeling right, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around buying a boat that I've never seen. If my buddy looks at it and says its mint I might make an offer. The thing I have to keep telling myself is I don't HAVE to buy a boat.

I am not going to freak out if I "miss out" on this one. There will be a clean VLX somewhere closer at some point.

As far as not feeling right, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around buying a boat that I've never seen. If my buddy looks at it and says its mint I might make an offer. The thing I have to keep telling myself is I don't HAVE to buy a boat.

I am not going to freak out if I "miss out" on this one. There will be a clean VLX somewhere closer at some point.

^^^ This. I too would have a hard time buying something sight unseen unless it is a brand new boat. Your buddy's interpretation as "mint" could be different than yours.

Personally I would wait for something to show up within your region so you can drive and look at it in person without having to take a vacation.

When I bought my boat, it was 3hrs away and total trip including time you check out the boat etc was 9hrs. Blew pretty much an entire afternoon to look at the boat and I'm glad it worked out.

Edited by demo9asx

Was in a similar situation a few weeks ago.

I had my heart set on a beautiful VLX. Perfect colors, all the options, great looking boat. started looking closer and the trailer was showing signs of rust (salt water), some issues with the interior, plus it was half way across the country. I decided to wait.

Three weeks later a lightly used Axis A22 pops up basically in my back yard. It has everything I want. Similar price. Much newer. Much better opportunity. Made an offer, picking it up this weekend (50 degrees, yay!!!)

What i'm saying is, it may work out. that VLX would've probably been a GREAT boat. but there were just too many concerns and then poof! an opportunity came along

sorry i am just now reading this thread i live in knoxville but I am in hendersonville all of the time that is were our corporate office is. If you need me to swing by tnt I could probably do it the very first of next week. I have a 2000 23 lsv so i should be able to give you a good opinion about it

So I finially got some real eyes on the thing. The report was that the boat was in great shape. Winshield frame was chipping paint and one of the seat bases was cracked. Had a few small scuffs in the hull but nothing serious. Only real issue was.... they took a deposit on it the same day my friend was there looking at it.

No worries, there will be others. Maybe even one that I can actually look at :crazy: