Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the one for me?

Levi900RR

You all know I want a V drive. I don't want to really break the bank. I am debating on buying this one and selling my Skier in the spring. It doesn't have the tower I want and there is no perfect pass or wedge but I don't mind the idea of having some projects ahead of me.

Thoughts?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34196

what year did the vdrive sunsetter get a wrap around seat? Didn't realize they weren't always wrap around. Although the vinyl can be replaced and the accessories you mentioned can be added. the lack of that extra seat would irk me after a while into looking at vdrives with wrap around seating, but that's just me.

I know, that really is the only downfall. I have been looking and the boats I really want with the wrap around seating and all the accessories I want are running in the low to mid 20's which for some reason is more than I want to shell out. Even though, I'll probably be in that deep after I add everything I want to one like this.

I should probably hold out for a bit newer one.

I'll just hold off, I think you guys are right. I am going to be way happier with something fuel injected with wrap around seating. Those are two things I can't really "add". Thanks for talking me off the cliff. :lol:

• Like 2

Levi,

The price is little high for the boat in that condition. Of course it is always hard to tell from pictures but from my experience the pictures make the boat look much better than in person. As a reference, I bought a 1999 VLX in 2009 (perfect condition) with 180hrs, monsoon, wraparound seating, bone stock and a Elite single axle trailer (perfect condition) for $14,900. I know I got lucky but I found prices for 1998-99 VLX's were around $15,500 to $17,500 for very good to excellent condition. The price range isn't what the sellers posted in the ads but what I could negotiate. I am very picky about everything so keep that in mind. Couple of things I noticed in the pictures: stuck temp guage and with a dog on the boat, expect scratches on the vinyl. Most importantly test drive, talk to the owner and ask tons of questions. I found that behaviors of the owner and answers to technical questions generally translate into how well they took care of the boat.

In like 03 they went to the Gorilla fins, larger props & higher horsepower engines. These made a huge difference in how they drove. Coming from a direct drive, your going to think the older ones drive like an old truck.

You should start test driving a couple of boats here & there now so you can pin down things that you like & can't do without.

Levi,

The price is little high for the boat in that condition. Of course it is always hard to tell from pictures but from my experience the pictures make the boat look much better than in person. As a reference, I bought a 1999 VLX in 2009 (perfect condition) with 180hrs, monsoon, wraparound seating, bone stock and a Elite single axle trailer (perfect condition) for $14,900. I know I got lucky but I found prices for 1998-99 VLX's were around $15,500 to $17,500 for very good to excellent condition. The price range isn't what the sellers posted in the ads but what I could negotiate. I am very picky about everything so keep that in mind. Couple of things I noticed in the pictures: stuck temp guage and with a dog on the boat, expect scratches on the vinyl. Most importantly test drive, talk to the owner and ask tons of questions. I found that behaviors of the owner and answers to technical questions generally translate into how well they took care of the boat.

WOW, That seems like just what I am looking for. Thanks for the info

In like 03 they went to the Gorilla fins, larger props & higher horsepower engines. These made a huge difference in how they drove. Coming from a direct drive, your going to think the older ones drive like an old truck.

You should start test driving a couple of boats here & there now so you can pin down things that you like & can't do without.

Bill, you think I can get an 03 for less than 20G's?

IMHO, the sweet spot is 02+, where you get tower, perfect pass, and full MLS. Once you add those items to an earlier boat, you'd still be out of pocket into the low 20's and still have an older boat (i.e. generally speaking, worse resale).

Here's a sanger v210 near me for cheap enough to add a tower, ballast and PP and still be under $20k, maybe even with delivery .... http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3219818029.html

I would hold out until the right deal comes along. There is always someone getting divorced or having kids and just has to liquidate their toy collection. A few weeks back a 99 MC Xstar went for 18k on CL in my area. patience grasshopper ;)

WOW, That seems like just what I am looking for. Thanks for the info

Bill, you think I can get an 03 for less than 20G's?

I think it would be as stretch. Would probably be a boat that was rode hard, high hours or the owner was strapped.

Again, I think you should start test driving boats so you can see for yourself what the differences are like. I raised my bottom line when I started doing this.

IMHO, the sweet spot is 02+, where you get tower, perfect pass, and full MLS. Once you add those items to an earlier boat, you'd still be out of pocket into the low 20's and still have an older boat (i.e. generally speaking, worse resale).

Here's a sanger v210 near me for cheap enough to add a tower, ballast and PP and still be under $20k, maybe even with delivery .... http://reno.craigsli...3219818029.html

The v210 throws a great wake, but it's a narrow boat with low freeboard...and I can't get over the 'hump' in the back...

im thinking hard about selling my 2000 23lsv. Boat has titan 1, bimini, good stereo, ballast system ready ( thru hulls installed...nothing plumbed but have all the bags and fittings you need). The boat looks really good....2nd owner....172 hours, monsoon that runs like new. LED lighting, trailer. If i can talk my wife into it im going to sell for 23k or so. Brand new acme 1939 prop ( comes with spare prop). shoot me an email @ [email protected] if you are interested. The boat has rarely seen over 4000 rpms....we just mostly cruise in our neighborhood private lakes. this boat has a ton of room. Boats in central ms

Edited by BG2085

I would REALLY love to stay in the 17 - 18K range. I am trying to get out of this upgrade with no boat payment. The season is so short up here I just cant stomach writing a check all winter. If I HAVE to spend 20, I will...

That 99, does it have the wrap around seating? Looks like a perfect boat for me if it does. Transom looks a little fadded in the picture. Only thing is doesn't have that I really want is perfect pass.