Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the one for me?

Levi900RR

I'm not a fan of the look of the Titan towers, but if you are buying one the T3 is the only way to go IMO.

You need front weight on this hull, end of story. Those two 500's + wedge will not work without some front weight. Fly High W711 fits pretty well and will fill to about 300lbs. Locker sack may work as well...I already have the W711 and will be adding a locker sack this year (either the W704 or W705 - I haven't measured to make my decision yet).

For under the port side seat, the W705 fits perfectly, adding 500lbs under there. Not sure what would fit under the starboard side (if you surf goofy) as I don't have the starboard seating and don't surf goofy anyway.

Are you making the trip alone? It's always good to take someone along in case of repairs, etc.

Good luck, and have fun with her.

I won't do it alone, at this point there is probably going to be three of us.

I'm not a fan of the look of the Titan towers, but if you are buying one the T3 is the only way to go IMO.

You need front weight on this hull, end of story. Those two 500's + wedge will not work without some front weight. Fly High W711 fits pretty well and will fill to about 300lbs. Locker sack may work as well...I already have the W711 and will be adding a locker sack this year (either the W704 or W705 - I haven't measured to make my decision yet).

For under the port side seat, the W705 fits perfectly, adding 500lbs under there. Not sure what would fit under the starboard side (if you surf goofy) as I don't have the starboard seating and don't surf goofy anyway.

Good info on the ballast, for now I'll probably get a W705 for under the port side seat and wait on my gate project to be able to surf goofy. No one in my current crew surfs on that side.

Do you think for an intermediate wakeboarder those 500's in the rear and a locker sack will be OK for starters? Keep in mind I'm coming from an old Skier...

Congrats on the purchase.

For surfing, we run 750 in the locker, 500 on the seat (or floor) and 500 in the front. We are almost all goofy. I think the goofy side takes less weight to make a comparable wave. This spring, I'll be doing an automated system with a underseat bow sac and a ski locker sac (likely use the larger rear seat sac). Ultimately, I'd like to do a simple surfgate like Slurpee...I think he's got the same hull as us.

Congratulations!!! Have you done your taxes yet? Hopefully Uncle Sam's refund will help make up the difference.

I bet it sure feels good holding out and waiting for the perfect boat.

Congrats on the purchase.

For surfing, we run 750 in the locker, 500 on the seat (or floor) and 500 in the front. We are almost all goofy. I think the goofy side takes less weight to make a comparable wave. This spring, I'll be doing an automated system with a underseat bow sac and a ski locker sac (likely use the larger rear seat sac). Ultimately, I'd like to do a simple surfgate like Slurpee...I think he's got the same hull as us.

Hey CrystalSurf,

Are you still on the F-18? How's that board working out for you guys, always wondered how fast it would have been with my current skills, just too bad it doesn't fit in my racks!

Congratulations!!! Have you done your taxes yet? Hopefully Uncle Sam's refund will help make up the difference.

I bet it sure feels good holding out and waiting for the perfect boat.

Taxes don't really go my favor these days...

Good info on the ballast, for now I'll probably get a W705 for under the port side seat and wait on my gate project to be able to surf goofy. No one in my current crew surfs on that side.

Do you think for an intermediate wakeboarder those 500's in the rear and a locker sack will be OK for starters? Keep in mind I'm coming from an old Skier...

500's + locker will be fine for wakeboarding but you will be light on surfing for sure. I have 750 in the locker + the 500 port seat and I want more; was going to do an 1100 but will be building my own manual surfgate instead so the two 750s' being filled should be sufficient.

Yeah, Nitrousbird is correct. I have the same hull (wake version) and you need at least a 750lbs in the locker. 750lbs fills up pretty much all the way. In addition, I also around 550lbs on the port side and around 300lbs on the bow.

By the way, congrats on the new boat.

Edited by demo9asx

When you guys say "locker" do you mean the rear corner compartment? Or the center ski compartment?

Think this will work for surfing?

Wedge down, 1100lbs in the rear port corner, and 500lbs under the port wrap around seat?

I think if it was me, I'd ski the boat first before adding weight. It very well may need it, but after coming from the Skier, just see where it's at.

:)

Steve B.

This is my plan, I have those V drive sacs that I used in my Skier, and I also have that 1100lb bag that I used to run under the rear seat for surfing. For this year I am going to run the 500's in the rear and if I need some bow weight I can throw that 1100 up front. I can also mess with the wedge.

For surfing I think I'll throw the 1100 in the rear corner and stuff one of the 500's under the port seat. That plus the wedge should get me something at least comprable to my Skier.

Once I get the weight figured out I'll design my integrated system.

How to build wake over stock<br /><br />1 weight in the center of the boat (ski locker), then<br /><br />2 weight in rear lockers (either side of engine), and as you add more rear weight <br /><br />3 weight in the nose to balance (if you have probs getting on plane) and to firm up the wake (forward weight bias will make wake less steep, more rampy, hard like concrete).

When you guys say "locker" do you mean the rear corner compartment? Or the center ski compartment?

Think this will work for surfing?

Wedge down, 1100lbs in the rear port corner, and 500lbs under the port wrap around seat?

Sorry, when I said 750 in the locker, I meant rear locker. I've been tempted to buy an 1100, but I don't know if it would get much more than the 750...also my rubrail is right at the water, so I don't really want to sink it any more. I think your set up for surfing will be good except you probably also want to have a 500 in the bow...especially with the 1100 in the rear.

Hey CrystalSurf,

Are you still on the F-18? How's that board working out for you guys, always wondered how fast it would have been with my current skills, just too bad it doesn't fit in my racks!

Still jammin the F-18. It's been good for me, but I've also been considering a Walker Bomb Pop...really would like to get more air. I don't have a tower or racks...this year I'm going to make an attachment/sleeve in my bimini to get it off the floor.

Glad it's worked out for you crystal surf. I'm about ready for a real fast surf style to get some pop too. I'll let a friend buy a skim. Now just where did I put those funds... :biggrin:

Edited by TrickyNicky

Sorry, when I said 750 in the locker, I meant rear locker. I've been tempted to buy an 1100, but I don't know if it would get much more than the 750

From what I've seen in pictures and read, the 1100 will fill to about 1000 in the rear locker. It will 100% fill the locker up to sunpad...the 750 fully full still leaves room for lifevests, towels, etc to sit on top - all space for more weight. :)

I really find it hard to beleave that a 750 fills to 750lbs in the rear lockers, I know this has been discussed before and still find it hard to beleave! I am one of those guys that waste way too much time messing with stupid stuff and have never been able to get my 540 to fill to 540 in the rear locker, (I have measured) it has room to expand more, but the bag has to be perfect! I just cant see a 750 expanding and filling perfectly in the compartment, maybe that's where the reversible pumps shine over the airator pumps with a vent. If you run a reversible pump with no vent maybe your getting more in a bag, but in my situation I just cant see it, i have water spilling out the vents when leaned over for surfing all the time with the 540!

The ski locker bag we have is considered a 500 lb bag and that has never filled to more then 360lb, the same goes for our front under seat bow bag, its a 750lb bag and has never had more then 350-360 in it. And I have two bags very similar to the 705s under the port side seats, filling them until the cushions start to lift still only puts them at around 325-350.

I have actually backed in the water filled the ballast bags pulled out and emptied them into barrels on scales, ( I know, I have issues!!!) and In my some what factual opinion, the front under seat bow bag is never going to exceed 375lb, ski locker with a bit bigger bag may make it to 400lb, under seat port bags, the rear portion of the seat is going to be about 350lb, The front part if you use the area under the dash and get a taller bag may be able to get more weight in it, but with my 60x18x10 it fills to about 360-380. I wont even reply on the rear lockers because Im still confused and skeptical of what will fit in there. But in my opinion there is no way you are going to get 500 under the bow seat, or 500lb in one bag under the port side seat like previously mentioned someplace earlier in the thread. I do agree these hulls need bow weight, and don't think you can get enough bow weight to compensate for 750s actually full with the wedge down in the back?

The Sunsetter and Wakesetter of this era seem to have a different top deck, that 03 looks to be taller from the rub rail up, I bet you could get more in the rear lockers, but the seat bases must be the same height?

What prop did that boat have, you may need to add that to your list :biggrin:

• Like 1

OH MY GOOD GOSH!

Levi,,,,,, you FINALLY bought a boat....

I skip the board for a few days because of doing training seminars and look what I missed.....hell, I have been waiting for 9 month for the birth and I missed the delivery!

LOL

Congrats!!!

PS

NO PAINTING THIS NEW BOATS FLOOR!

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • Like 2

I think the 750lbs fills up to maybe about 700lbs. I never really measure it but looks pretty full. The 1100lbs, that's a different story.

This hull definitely needs weight on the bow. Otherwise the wave will be steep and short. With weight on the bow, the wave is not gigantic but gives you long enough pocket that you some room to play around.

Edited by demo9asx

I love this forum. The guy hasn't picked up the boat, hell, the ink on the P&S is barely dry and the discussion of proper ballast has taken over. Awesome...

• Like 3