Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the one for me?

Levi900RR

I keep coming back to this one... Its semi local, its an 01 Wakesetter with a Titan tower. It has PP, no ballast, no wedge, nice trailer. Need some interior work but I could chip away at that. I really hate the colors but I'm thinking I could polish the tower, put a blue bimini on it, and put a dark grey vinyl stripe over the yellow on the hull. One thing I am noticing about it tonight that I don't like are the snaps everywhere for the cover. I could remove them and have the gel fixed but that sounds like a pain.

Thoughts?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-101841756

"Clear coat over the paint job?" :unsure:

And yeah, the snaps. Colors are workable like you said, but by the time you wrap it and get a new bimini cover made you are way over budget unless they move from that price.

I wouldn't pay more than 20 for it... I would drive down with some cash and start at 18. That clear over the paint on the trailer comment made me chuckle. Honestly I think the wrap and bimini wouldn't be more than $500 bucks. Its the interior work that is going to push my budget. I would just get a few skins a year until it was all replaced.

I am just trying to figure out if I should wait for something "more" perfect or is this something I really should go look at. I mean at the end of the day I want an 01-02 WSVLX with a Titan tower and that is what this thing is.

How about hours? Am I crazy wishing for something with less? Or am I just jadded cause that SSVLX had 336?

it looks like a contender to me for sure. The hours wouldn't worry me much at all, depending on how the boat actually looks and runs when you see it. That's 60ish hours a year for a decade, not crazy use by any means. Unless they can show its been done, makes sense to get a full tune (cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, drive belt) and change all the fluids and it should be good to go. Prolly want to invest in the shaft packing wrenches if you haven't already. And really that stuff is going to be true for any boat of this vintage regardless of hours.

The trailer looks nice, which in my mind bodes well for the care of the boat. Of course those aren't the world's best pics either, so it could look a lot different in person.

You can't listen too much to what the guys in texas say you should pay, because you aren't in texas and you've got a much smaller market.

How solid is your budget? How bad would it suck to miss a season? How much would it be worth to not miss a season?

Edited by shawndoggy

I keep coming back to this one... Its semi local, its an 01 Wakesetter with a Titan tower. It has PP, no ballast, no wedge, nice trailer. Need some interior work but I could chip away at that. I really hate the colors but I'm thinking I could polish the tower, put a blue bimini on it, and put a dark grey vinyl stripe over the yellow on the hull. One thing I am noticing about it tonight that I don't like are the snaps everywhere for the cover. I could remove them and have the gel fixed but that sounds like a pain.

Thoughts?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-101841756

I think you're too hung up on the colors!

post-2919-0-50255700-1364005836_thumb.jp

If you can get it under $20k, that's a good deal. Really hard to find a V-drive under $20k in good shape.

I agree 600hrs is nothing considering it is 12yrs old now.

Can't be too picky on colors when buying used.

I actually think the colors are sharp, and it looks to have everything you need. But - you have to live with it. And if you are doing a photoshop of how you would like it, then this is not the boat for you. Better off waiting or you will buy it and just end up making another move in a year or two when you do stumble across the right one.

I agree with everything said. The colors are the least of my concerns. My major concern is the interior condition vs. the price. I would like to pay 20K for a boat like this with a clean interior. This one needs a complete set of Skins. I am going to call them again today and see how flexible they are on price. If they are willing to come down to under 20 I may take a ride down. They are open from 9-4 today and its about a 3.5 hour drive.

Thanks for the input on the hours. I would have been spoiled getting that 01 SSVLX with 336 hours.

Interior in the pics looks nicer then my 02. But the pics made my interior look better then it is.

In the one shot looking back from the bow you can see someone has just wrapped the seat bottoms with white vinyl. Not my kind of upholstery... I would guess a full set of skins for that baby is pushing 2G's... Then I have to get them installed.

I didn't call today. Too many reasons not to. I am doing my best to be patient. Its still early.

Make the call, you have nothing to loose, just make sure your offer takes into consideration any mods you need to make. If they wont deal walk away knowing you tried. Who knows.

CB

Both are West coast, adding significant shipping costs.

The 1st one is overprice IMO. Yes, the hours are super low (a little too low for comfort for a boat of that age...I see lack of use issues with it). Condition is great from the pictures. But it is highly lacking in options. No ballast or Perfect Pass...by the time you buy all the parts for that you are looking at a 30k boat. Looks like no tower racks either, so add a couple hundred more. I'm not seeing a wedge either...a must for the SV23 Diamond IMO; add another $800 for a used wedge/bracket. Now we are looking at a 31k boat to get it to where most buyers will want it (and no stereo to speak of either). That boat will never sell...especially on the west coast where boats seem to sell for a bit less.

The 2nd seems like a decent deal. I am questioning how they got five 6x9" speakers in there and I'm wondering what they hacked up to do it.

Yeah, the first one seems too good to be true with the hours. It is considerabilly out of my price range as well even without shipping costs. I would spend up to 25K for the PERFECT boat and that one isnt. I agree with everything Nitro says.

I know this is a tall order but this is what I'm looking for.

01-02 SS or WS VLX, if its an SS the wedge is a requirement. I'd like one either way but it is a must for that hull (or so I hear) I'd like to keep it under 500 hours. I REALLY want a titan tower, but would buy a boat with a different tower if everything else was perfect. I want speed control and ballast. A stereo is a bonus, needs to have board racks as well.

Like I said 25K is really stretching my budget so I would go that high if it was the perfect boat. If something comes up that doesn't have all my wants the price is going to have to reflect that.

Keep the adds coming though, I love looking at boats and when the perfect one pops up I am going to be all over it. No more waffling around! I have no Skier weighing me down...