Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure Sending Unit or Switch

OK. Make it simple... My boat has constant beeping. Oil pressure OK. Is it the Oil Pressure Switch? Or Oil Pressure sending unit? Big one or Small one. Part Numbers???

Lake boy, it's the small one pointing towards the side of the boat. The larger canister facing foward is the sender. The Indmar oil pressure switch is $10.20 plus shipping from Smooth Water Sports.

Peter

Lake boy, it's the small one pointing towards the side of the boat. The larger canister facing foward is the sender. The Indmar oil pressure switch is $10.20 plus shipping from Smooth Water Sports.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Its Kevin from Ontario. We were just talking about this yesterday on the phone. Just so you know I unplugged it and in about 20 seconds the beeping stopped so obviously you were right. Thanks so much for your help. I will personal email you to order it up and have you mail it up to me. Just so everyone knows on this forum...Peter at Smooth Water is awesome and has helped me several times. There isn't a dealer in Ontario even close to Peter. And he's a barefooter too which just makes it so easy to deal with him. :)

• 2 months later...

I've had the same issue on my '04 VLX, any time the oil pressure indicated below 20 PSI and the RPM went above 1,000, it would beep. That was tolerable, but now I have a constantly repeating beeping, that goes like this: (morse code)

. _ _ _ (pause for 3 seconds) . _ _ _

On and on and on. All indications seem normal. Is this related to the same oil pressure switch, or something else?

EDIT: I think I found the answer on this thread. SmoothWater, can I still order it from you? The online store on your website appears to be down.

Edited by MadDogMike
  • 8 months later...

Resurrectiing this here since I got the latest info on this string. i had the same exact problem all last year (dont get that many hours logged on it though). I put tape over the beeper, but the damn thing is loud! After reading the forums, went out to pull the oil sending unit (bell shaped) today, before heading up to the lake and busted the brass pipe connecting it all to the block. Fortunately, my local NAPA dealer had everything except the pressure switch, which Advance Auto had. thing is - none of the information available tells you the pressure rating. But being as the one I picked up is good for vehicles from something like 1988 through '06, I figure its safe. NO more beeping. not sure which unit it was, but as the two together were cheap - replacing them for the first time since 2000 wasnt bad. Now, (highjacking the thread now) when I have the boat running in the drive way (using the toilet plunger on the intake method, I get a huge squeal if I put it in gear. I don't recall if I ever put it in gear in the drive in the past. Does the boat in the water? everything else is fine. Peter at Smoothwater repacked my drive a few years ago, so hope that is not it. Peter- I will be going past your place in a couple hours if you are on here. (FYI- This is Palmer's old Response LX)- Eric

The noise would be expected on land. Don't put the boat in gear on land. The bushing/bearing in the strut has to be lubricated by being in the water.

Edited by Bozboat
  • 6 years later...
On 8/8/2012 at 10:38 AM, Bozboat said:

Peter has it at a very fair price, I haven't had much luck at NAPA, other than with filters.

Hi All, I am looking for your insight to see if I am missing an Oil Pressure Switch Sensor.  99 VLX...

There is a light blue wire (see photos at link) connected to what I believe is the Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor (https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor.html).  BakesOnline.com Malibu wiring colour guide does show light blue as oil pressure.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgCYqUi6TcQi89Gw5 

This forum (above) talks about another sensor: https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-oil-pressure-switch-sensor.html    It's small and I can't find it... is it missing from my pictures?  See photo from BozBoat that he uploaded of his oil pressure/sender setup.  It looks as if where my brass bolt is to the right of the sending unit should have the pressure switch plug into it; and instead the previous owner just installed a plug and disconnected the wire (which is black and white and which has 11V on it (from it to ground) when the key is turned ON.  When I "shorted" this wire to ground the boat started beeping!  So based on this thread I would suspect my oil pressure switch sensor is bad BUT I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help! 

10 hours ago, wakesetterDD said:

Hi All, I am looking for your insight to see if I am missing an Oil Pressure Switch Sensor.  99 VLX...

There is a light blue wire (see photos at link) connected to what I believe is the Oil Pressure Sending Unit Sensor (https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor.html).  BakesOnline.com Malibu wiring colour guide does show light blue as oil pressure.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/mgCYqUi6TcQi89Gw5 

This forum (above) talks about another sensor: https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-oil-pressure-switch-sensor.html    It's small and I can't find it... is it missing from my pictures?  See photo from BozBoat that he uploaded of his oil pressure/sender setup.  It looks as if where my brass bolt is to the right of the sending unit should have the pressure switch plug into it; and instead the previous owner just installed a plug and disconnected the wire (which is black and white and which has 11V on it (from it to ground) when the key is turned ON.  When I "shorted" this wire to ground the boat started beeping!  So based on this thread I would suspect my oil pressure switch sensor is bad BUT I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help! 

Can you post a picture of what you are looking at?

32 minutes ago, dlb said:

It’s looks like you have the sender.  The blocked off part of the T is where the switch should be.  Is there a wire floating around?

Ok.  Yes, there is a wire floating around.  I have the feeling that the switch needed to be replaced but wasn't, and so the hole was just plugged and the wire allowed to hang loose.

The wire is a black and white wire with an O-ring terminal on it.   So you think I am indeed missing the Oil Pressure Switch?  

1 hour ago, wakesetterDD said:

Ok.  Yes, there is a wire floating around.  I have the feeling that the switch needed to be replaced but wasn't, and so the hole was just plugged and the wire allowed to hang loose.

The wire is a black and white wire with an O-ring terminal on it.   So you think I am indeed missing the Oil Pressure Switch?  

Yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Yes plus 1

ok awesome, I guess I will consider getting a switch, although I should probably replace both the sender and the switch.  Should I schedule the replacement during my upcoming oil change (so oil doesn't leak out) or does it matter?

3 hours ago, wakesetterDD said:

I think your wire is brown/white, not black/white....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justgary said:

I think your wire is brown/white, not black/white....

yes, I think you are right.   Thanks!

10 hours ago, wakesetterDD said:

ok awesome, I guess I will consider getting a switch, although I should probably replace both the sender and the switch.  Should I schedule the replacement during my upcoming oil change (so oil doesn't leak out) or does it matter?

you can change it with the engine full of oil. It won’t leak while engine is off. Brace the mounting stem with a wrench when you add or remove the sender and switch to keep it from bending.

• Thanks 1