Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine noise

philly

Mine does this too. I just shut off the stereo when I start the engine. Mine started when I put in a new system this year. I did run a constant to the head unit. Don't know if this is what is causing it or not

Edited by Simo

The two most common causes of the noise you described is amplifier input gains that are incorrectly set wide open or a ground/supply loop. The loop and subsequent noise is due to resistance and the resulting voltage potential difference between various components in the audio signal path. Usually the cure is to lift the source unit switched power, memory power and ground off the factory harness and go to an access point as close as possible to the amplifier(s) primary terminals. Depending on your particular system this may be battery-direct, or the positives to a dual battery switch output or to existing distribution blocks that supply the amplifiers and are closest to the amplifires. In any case, ALL audio component supplies should share the same contact points.

David

David

I posted this in another topic, but this one seems closer to my issue. I have recently acquired background noise only in the passenger side rear channel of my stereo (2 speakers). I have the Rockford stock set up 2010 WS, but recently added another Rockford amp to power new tower speakers. I used the stock connections that were pre-wired with the the distribution block connections for power, as it has 3 outputs for each. Not sure what changed, but it's obviously something I did since it only surfaced after I installed the 3rd amp. Any ideas??

Edit: This is all the time, boat off or running, any input source.

Wake,

By "background noise" I assume you are describing a constant and random hiss, like the sound of a distant waterfall.

Per the signal path in your particular system, it should be easy to assess which audio components do and do not share the signal path with the passenger rear speaker. That will immediately narrow your focus. If you find that this is isolated to a single amplifier channel you can confirm a faulty product by switching L/R input RCAs and then switching the L/R outputs to the speakers. Since you have noise without the key on the problem is not an induced or external issue. And since no other speakers on the same amplifier share the same problem it doesn't look like the issue in upstream in the signal path.

David

I had a very loud noise when my blower was on, and a faint noise when just the engine was on. I just ran a separate ground #14 wire from the HU to the battery and it completely eliminated the noise.