Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Boat - Image DB

HOskier313

Admins,

I've had this thought for a while, but to supplement the Malibu Hull Specification area of the site, I think it would be a good idea to have "database" of images for each Malibu Model built in each year. Maybe a collection of 2 or 3 photos for each model (Side view, Back view, and Interior taken from platform, and maybe a pic of the helm).

For example, in 1997 there were 9 models Malibu made. Thats 27-36 pics. I'm thinking we could find members to give pics of their boats. This would be our own version of a brochure that could go back to the beginning of Malibu. Could very well help prospective buyers compare year to year. I personally think we should try to aim for boats as close to "standard" as possible. Meaning boats that most closely respresent what Malibu offers/offered. So say the pre-tower era, we should try to find boats w/o towers.

I would think biggest concern would be bandwidth, but other than that, it would be a neat feature.

Thoughts?

I also think this is a great idea.... if we could pull it off. Not just a bandwidth thing..... would need some coordination to ensure we get full coverage. (All years and all models)

Helps all of the folks if/when they buy USED.

If we had a place to put the pictures, we simply need to get one person to offer to provide the pictures for each model and year. (Note: We'd only need 1 person for each model/year.)

If we did this, I'll offer to provide the pictures for a 1998 Response LX. That only leaves 25 years or so X 10 models left to be covered.

Edited by doughickey

I don't actually think that pulling it off will be the problem, the bandwidth will. I have no worries that our members will step up to the plate to get us what we need to make this happen. I need to think more about this & watch the activity levels of the site over the next month or 2. January, of all months, was a record month for us in terms of site hits, page requests & bandwidth useage, but I need to watch to see if it continues before committing site resources to something that could be a resource hog. The highest priority, first & foremost to my mind, is to keep the site running quick & smooth with no down time.

Bottom line, if we can make this happen from the resource side of things, we will.

WakeGirl - Bandwidth was my biggest concern when I mentioned the idea. Like you said, getting the pictures won't be a problem, especially with the group on this site.

I've been thinking about this a little more. As you've suggested let's monitor the site and see how bandwidth and performances are affected. I would think that the initial release of this idea would draw significantly higher hits than what it would on an average TMC day. In other words, the first 2-4 weeks may be busy, but eventually, the "wow" factor will wear off.

Knowing January was a month of higher activity, I think we can forecast February - April hits increasing even more as TMC members gear up for the season.

I would think 2 logical options are to release during a slow month, or release knowing upfront we may experience slower response times. I think we could mitigate the latter by putting requirments on file sizes, number or pics, etc. Perhaps we could even release one year a month. So April could be 1990, May = 1991, June = 1992, etc. Just a thought. If you need any more ideas or assitance in the future, please ask.

HO, you're a good thinker. A process person. Maybe a programmer..... or a "Project Manager". Somebody who thinks through the series of events... logically.

Just curious.... what's your profession? Me thinks you're good at it.... whatever it is!

Doughickey - Thanks for the compliment and great call! I'm in software/business consulting. I'm actually only 23 years old so it's tough in this industry to gain respect out of college (U of Dayton) so the compliment is appreciated. I strive to be a project manager someday in my career. On my current project, I have been given minor PM duties, and I like to think my college degree (Management Information Systems) has prepared me for the road ahead.

If I've done one thing right since graduating from college, it was buying a Malibu. I'd rather throw money into my boat/ski instead of into my liver (although college taught me that well too!) The only unfortuanate part is not having many people my age to ski with. I do hope to change that down the road as well. One day, I'd like to organize an All-Ohio collegiate (Alumni & Active) 3 event tournament. We need to get the college kids (where NCWSA is thriving) skiing after college. Otherwise, 3-event tournaments will be scarce in 15 years.