Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Installation

lyle

Hey guys, Im sure this has been asked to death, but didnt find anything on it doing a quick search. Is it hard to install a wedge on an older (00-02) sunsetter/wakesetter? Meaning, would a guy with 'basic' skills be able to do it? If so, would anyone know the best place to track one down? Not sure if there are many used ones out, or if the best bet is just to get a new one. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance

Fairly easy install if you can maneuver easily in the V-DRIVE Lockers, Direct drive is much easier. Hardest part is guts it takes drilling into your transom.

new ones can be found here

http://www.bakesonline.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=wedge

or keep tabs on the classifieds , they go fast... used in good shape $400-$500

here is my thread from last month

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38135-installing-a-manual-wedge-couple-questions/

FWIW, if I were going to plunk down $1000 for a wedge, I think I'd also spend the $85/hr to have it professionally installed since it would be a fast job.

FWIW, if I were going to plunk down $1000 for a wedge, I think I'd also spend the $85/hr to have it professionally installed since it would be a fast job.

for me it would depend on your location to a reputable dealership. mine is 45 min away.

took me about 2 hrs (measure 4 or 5 times , drill once, could probably be done in less than an hour), and you need a 2nd person to hold the wrench while you torque the nuts

Edited by Stevo

and miss the fun of doing it? Meh. ;) Edited by teamerickson

LOL. Ok, so maybe I'm a wuss. Drilling big holes through the transom just scares me.

I'd much rather do it than have somebody that doesn't give two s***s about it.

LOL. Ok, so maybe I'm a wuss. Drilling big holes through the transom just scares me.

Wuss. I've drilled 6 hols in my boat in the past year, one being almost 2.5" in diameter. Not a big deal, measure 3x, you only get to cut once.