Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surfing behind a 23' xti

cannonman

Hey guys, fairly new to the surfing thing. Trying to figure out how much weight to put and where. My boat is an 06 23' xti, its a direct drive and i have to Aerial 550 lbs i just picked up locally. we went out tonight and with the wedge down and these two bags with 4 people i couldn't get a big enough wave to let go of the rope. The boat has a great layout for seating people but to hide a bag is kinda hard. Anybody have a boat similar to this and have guidance? let me know... thanks i'm willing to order more bags if necessary.

We use a 750 in the back and a 400 up front with 6-8 people - if the wave is washing over put more weight up front - it seems to help clean up the wave - it takes a lot of weight to sink the 23xti for nice wave.

If no one on the boat is an experienced surfer, then you will need time to go ropeless. We've had people freeride their first day, but a good average is to hold the rope for at least the first full three days of riding. If you drop the rope and wash out within a few seconds or you are pulling yourself into the sweet spot rather than riding into it you will actually take longer to progress toward freeriding.

Having said that, you probably need more weight. Try to get a bunch of people on the boat or pick up some cheap bags on craigslist until you figure out what your boat needs.

Going faster will also clean up the wake, but at a certain speed it's hard for newer riders to keep up.

well the wake just isn't shaping right, we tried a few different positions and speeds etc. but i think we just need more weight and some weight in the front. i ordered some nice high fly's that should fit better. a 650 in the front ski locker that if it works good, i'll hard wire it in. i also ordered a 370lb that i can fit under the seat in the corner of the boat. then i can mess around with laying those 550's out in the open and try those too. if i could get 14 people in the boat like it will "fit" then i would be good!! but i'm nowhere near that cool enough to have that many friends, even with a malibu! :rofl:

So are the direct drives any harder to surf behind than a v drive? since the motor is further back? or is there not really a diff?

So are the direct drives any harder to surf behind than a v drive? since the motor is further back? or is there not really a diff?

Someone will disagree with me :D but from what I've seen and read DD's are harder to weight for surfing. However, I've seen video of some monster wakes with a DD, even ones with a lower freeboard than your '06, so it's definitely possible.

Posting pics or vids of your wake always helps.

Someone will disagree with me :D but from what I've seen and read DD's are harder to weight for surfing. However, I've seen video of some monster wakes with a DD, even ones with a lower freeboard than your '06, so it's definitely possible.

Posting pics or vids of your wake always helps.

Next time i'm out i'll try to get a pic of the wake.... and the surf board is a hyperlite. i know its not that fancy but it will have to do for now.

I'm able to go ropeless behind my boat. I'm 215lb and riding a 5'4" Byerly Hazard. I put my wedge down (manual style, so it has to be all the way down), fill all the factory MLS ballast. I'm not sure exactly how much weight it is, but I think the two rear hard tanks are 200lbs each, plus the bag in the ski locker. I also threw two borrowed fat sacs (520lbs) on the surf side. I surf regular footed, so the driver is on the wrong side, but the other 2-3 people ride in back surf side corner.

I have a 750lb and a 370lb bag on order, so we will see if I can improve my wave even more.

I'm able to go ropeless behind my boat. I'm 215lb and riding a 5'4" Byerly Hazard. I put my wedge down (manual style, so it has to be all the way down), fill all the factory MLS ballast. I'm not sure exactly how much weight it is, but I think the two rear hard tanks are 200lbs each, plus the bag in the ski locker. I also threw two borrowed fat sacs (520lbs) on the surf side. I surf regular footed, so the driver is on the wrong side, but the other 2-3 people ride in back surf side corner.

I have a 750lb and a 370lb bag on order, so we will see if I can improve my wave even more.

I'll second that, I have the left rear hard tank full, one 540 in the walk way next to the motor and one 540 half on the seat and half laying on the other bag. Either keep the front empty or half full depending on what the wave looks like. Wedge down. 2-3 people in the rear of the boat. I think swapping a 540 for an 800 would make it perfect. Able to go rope less and ride the wave probably 10+ feet back off the swims step. Just a matter of patience and dialing it in, but this is what's worked best so far for me.