Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My second go around with my ballast system

skibreeze

I just got my LSV last year and added 2 1100's in the lockers, a 570 under the port seat and a smaller bag under the helm. I originally went with the aerator pumps. I found that after a season that I really wanted reversable pumps for a complete drain and a simpler system.

To all those that are considering a piggy back or aerator system, just drop the coin to start with and you will be much happier in the end. I can fill of drain fairly quickly, which is nice when it's time to switch sides for surfing or wakeboarding.

I mounted the port bag pump behind the locker panel.

20120709_202307.jpg

I was having issues with the bag grabbing the corner of the panel, so I stripped the carpet back, clamped 2 pieces of angle to get a straight line and then brought out the propane torch to reshape the plastic. After getting the angle I wanted, I glued the carpet back.

20120709_202805.jpg

I used 1" thru hulls and hose to maximize flow and mounted the pumps for the 1100's .

20120709_202442.jpg

20120709_202434.jpg

I was also having an issue with the 1100 bag tearing the stock rear tank vent hose off of the thru hull fitting. The threads that the retainer nut uses are the same as 3/4" fittings, so I cut the hose ribs off and put a 90 degree hose fitting on it so the hose hugs the side of the hull, no more bag issues when I get it a little too full.

Edited by skibreeze

I couldn't use that tubing you did...reminds me too much of a snake!

That's the good tubing, as you can see water flow through it, while still being strong and doesn't colapse.

I am still amazed at how people keep going with these aerator pumps - the impellar pumps are just so easy and the setup so clean and straight forward. The aerator pump installs (even the factory stuff) just looks so ghetto in comparison.