Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What amp to power rev 10's?

aquaman

THAT isnt skimping!

I'm in for about the same as the overpriced Rockford amp for two of them though. So I must have skimped, right?

(one was admittedly picked up used).

T800-4ad is exactly what I meant. I had a brain fart a couple of evenings. T800-4ad bridged putting out 463.5 per channel. Real 14.4V power. Even at 12V its probably still 380-400 per channel (bridged).

I don't have any hands on experience with the RF amp, but I'm sure it's nice. I do think it's overpriced, though. Maybe I'll go down to Best Buy and take a gander.

The RF is certified 463.5 x 2 @ 14.4v (bridged). The NVX (same as PPI, Hertz, etc) benched 477 x 2 @ 14.4v (bridged). http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test-reports/1805-test-report-precision-power-p9004-amplifier-

98% of the people out there won't be able to tell a difference from 400w from brand x amp and 400w from brand y amp. The RF is $1.60 per watt. The NVX is $0.47 per watt.

Edited by CRF-Rider

Sorry, I am late to the party. But figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

1 KS 600.2 powering 2pairs of rev10's may not have a big noticeable difference at 70' back, but your working that one amp really hard to power those 2 pairs. Most applications I've seen with rev10's are using 1 600.2 per pair.

When in doubt just get crazy with the power. :biggrin:

The amp was actually created with this setup in mind. It is NOT pushing it hard. I have not heard of anyone having thermal shutdowns due to the load, or any other problems for that matter.

You will not get it to go into thermal protection running 4 Rev 10's.

Pushing an arc audio amp at 2 ohms in nothing...they can handle it all day long. Hell,my 300.4 runs bridged to a set of Rev 10's all day long in the Texas heat. Running ar 2 ohms is not pushing it hard, now take it down to 1 ohm and then you are pushnig it

Where I live, it is 105 degrees most days. No problems so far.

OP, the PPI also comes with 1/0 adapters. Depending on how long your runs are 1/0 may be a bit overkill, but nothing wrong with less resistance. This guy sells great wire for a great price. He'll put customized writing on the wire for free.

http://www.ebay.com/...cableman/m.html

Thanks for the head's up!...Looks like a great source for power wire.

• 1 month later...

Dredging this one back up for some real world experience. Last season I installed two pairs of rev10s and a single arc ks600.2. Liked the sound but was having trouble overcoming my very loud exhaust. So I put each pair on its own ks600.2 over the winter. Not much real world difference... Still couldn't overcome the exhaust noise. Then I got a fresh air exhaust and WOW could I hear the music at the end of the rope!

A few weeks ago on the water one pair of rev10s went dead and I took that pair off of one amp and put both pair on a single amp. The issue turned out to be a loose wire inside one of the rev10 cans, and since I've got both pair wired in series, it killed the whole pair because the circuit was incomplete.

Well I got the wiring issue figured out but ended up leaving both pair on the one amp (in series so still at 8ohms per channel).

Performance at 8 ohms (200w per can) was still better than with each pair bridged for 400w per can on separate amps and no FAE.

So in my experience adding an FAE is a better use of funds than doubling your amplifier power.

Ya that was a little pricey.

Perhaps a better choice from RF would have been the P1000x4D.

Gives you a CEA 500x2 @4 for around $450. Either that or the KS600.

The T1000x4D is what I have on my (4) XM9s and I have it cut way down. I had a Alpine head unit to start and had the amp cut down as low as I could when I went with the M502 by clarion I had to cut it up a little about 1/4 strength of the amp. We turned it up once at the local shop and the amp was to much for the speakers. Just to clarify the XM9s have the same ratings as the Rev10s so it is a close pairing. Just a little info.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Shawndoggy, can you tell me the fresh air exhaust you got? I got a 07 lsv and I've noticed the same problem with exhaust noise. I have 6 rev 10's and 4 pro 696s. I have two pairs on a ks 600.2 and the other pair on a ks 600.2 but not sure if I should only use one channel and run parallel so they match the others or run on two individual channels ( I channel per speaker). Any thoughts? The arc guy said it would hurt the amp running only one channel. Also how much and any discounts on the fresh air exhaust?

Shawndoggy, can you tell me the fresh air exhaust you got? I got a 07 lsv and I've noticed the same problem with exhaust noise. I have 6 rev 10's and 4 pro 696s. I have two pairs on a ks 600.2 and the other pair on a ks 600.2 but not sure if I should only use one channel and run parallel so they match the others or run on two individual channels ( I channel per speaker). Any thoughts? The arc guy said it would hurt the amp running only one channel. Also how much and any discounts on the fresh air exhaust?

You are an amp short somewhere. You should have 4 (two pair) Rev-10 on one KS600.2 and the 4 (two pair) Pro-696 on the other KS-600.2. This equals two speaker wired in parallel on each chnl. That leaves the 3rd pair of Rev-10 to go on another amp.

Or are the Pro696 not on the 2nd KS600.2 but the 3rd pair of Revs are? If so, then you need to have each on their own chnl. And yes, the guys at Arc are correct, you should not use just one chnl of that stereo amp and each chnl needs to have the same impedance load.

sweet. so no noticeable decrease in performance, handling or power?

Well.... not now. Larry Mann, the guy behind FAE is more of an artist than a scientist, so it took 5 or 6 trips to the lake to achieve the performance I was looking for. If it sticks too far in the water, there is definitely noticeable power loss. Now that I've got it set up right, no powerloss at all. Top speed will decrease because you are dragging something behind the boat. I lost about 1 mph off of WOT performance. Handling is fine, though on the first couple of attempts, where my FAE was set up to stick too far into the water, it was noticeable.

At one point I was ready to take it off and send it back because I was so frustrated with it. Larry had me make one more change (shortening the amount by which it sticks into the water by an inch) and it made all the difference.

If you order one, be prepared for some significant DIY work and some fine tuning on the install.

seems as though the biggest noticeable degrade in performance would be during turns when the rudder isnt lined up with the pipe and the pipe is getting the full impact of clean uninterrupted water.

you'd think. but my son and his three friends will testify that there's plenty of power in the turns, I think. Enough to toss 'em off the tube anyway.

The way the FAE works, it actually sucks the exhaust out when underway. So no real backpressure when you're on the gas.

Before it was set up right, it was the holeshot that was lacking.

seems as though the biggest noticeable degrade in performance would be during turns when the rudder isnt lined up with the pipe and the pipe is getting the full impact of clean uninterrupted water.

Ive installed FAE on a few boats and driven, surfed, skied and boarded behind them as well. At best, the FAE will cost you 2-3 MPH of top end. But, on a typical tow boats, thats still above even barefoot speeds. At surf speeds, its doesnt even effect the surf wake at all. They only way you will notice the FAE is there, is when you realize you can talk to others in the boat while underway without having to scream.

I have a FAE on one of my boats, and I had Larry make me a Shorter length Down Pipe.....

As for handling, at slow docking speeds, it is VERY noticeable as to how much less responsive the boat handles....You got to get used to the new setup...

Edited by JB-FOOT

I have a FAE on one of my boats, and I had Larry make me a Shorter length Down Pipe.....

As for handling, at slow docking speeds, it is VERY noticeable as to how much less responsive the boat handles....You got to get used to the new setup...

Ha, well I guess you could say that I'm "lucky" because my boat handles like a pig at low speeds, so if there's an impact from the FAE, not noticeable.