Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What amp to power rev 10's?

aquaman

I know there is a lot of amps out there but I have had good luck with Rockford. Will a pair of power 600.4 or 1000.4 bridged work better to power 4 rev 10's? The watts are 300 and 500 respectively at 4 ohms. Any other amp recommendations? Maybe one big one to power all four.

Arc Audio KS 600.2 - it will power all four.

WS has a new amp coming out as well - sinister line

When on the sinister? And really the 600.2 will power all 4? That seems its under the 300rms for each. I've been told to not under power this rev 10s

Aquaman - just cause amp names contains a certain set of numbers, does not necessarrily mean that is what the power output is equivalent to.

2 Channels @ 4 Ohms- 400 Watts 2 Channels @ 2 ohms 600 Watts 1 Channel @ 4 Ohms (Bridged) 1200 Watts

Each speaker get 300 watts - arc is pretty conservative on their ratings so I would guess that each speaker would get a little more than the posted 300.

Not sure on the WS amps....maybe end of summer

I was in the same boat about 6 months ago. I put a full system in my boat. I have the XM9's but they have the same RMS and peek. I went with Rockford Fosgate. Like I said I did it myself. So when I took it to be tuned at the local stereo shop they ended up cutting the amp all the way down. They said it had more than enough power. I will also say Rockford dynos there amps and send the paper work with is and the RMS was 318. I didn't look at any other line so their may be amps that are a lot better I just wanted all the same types of amps. Also picked mine up on Amazon cheep.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=129167

I have one WS SYN4 powering each set of Rev10's. All I can say is that it is ridiculous LOUD. I also have a SYN4 powering the 6 WS650's on the inside of the boat and an Arc audio 1200.1 powering a JL 12W7AE. The system ROCKS.

Won't be seeing a D/H any time soon, b/c it is either class D or a switching G/H class.

When you get up into that power range your are looking at some pretty sophisticated power supplies on the amps and that drives the price up. The Arc Audio KS 600.2 actually uses the power supply that their premier SE line uses allowing the amp to put out some serious power. That amp can be had around $560. When you are looking at 350 watts versus 400 watts - your ear can not tell the difference

The Wetsounds Sinister amps are going to be the most powerful class D on the market....but you will pay for. I think these amps are close to a 1,000 a piece. Here are the specs.

SD6:

Stereo @ 4 ohms 6 x 185 Watts

Stereo @ 2 ohms 6 x 290 Watts

Bridged @ 4 ohms 3 x 585 Watts

SD4:

Stereo @ 4 ohms 4 x 185 Watts

Stereo @ 2 ohms 4 x 340 Watts

Bridged @ 4 ohms 2 x 685 Watts

SD2:

Stereo @ 4 ohms 2 x 400 Watts

Stereo @ 2 ohms 2 x 620 Watts

Bridged @ 4 ohms 1 x 1250 Watts

Edited by Murphy8166

Speaking from experience, the difference between one ks600.2 and two ks600.2's to two pair of Rev10s is negligible from 70' with the handle in my hand.

Which ever the first company to make a quality no BS class D/H 400x2 for about 300$, and a 400x4 for about 500$ is going to make a fortune.

Just D, but the Polk Audio D4000.4/PPI Phantom 900.4/NVX 800.4/Hertz HDP4 fill the 400x2 range and outside of the Hertz fit the $$ too. Actually a pair can fill the 400x4 at $500 as well, but I don't see this coming in a single chassis as I don't think the market is large enough to attract the companies to do it.

Speaking from experience, the difference between one ks600.2 and two ks600.2's to two pair of Rev10s is negligible from 70' with the handle in my hand.

Are you saying two pairs would not really bring more sound than one pair assuming both were powered the same ?

Are you saying two pairs would not really bring more sound than one pair assuming both were powered the same ?

I think he was saying putting 2 pair of Rev10s on 1 600.2 @ 300w ea x 4 was about the same as putting 2 pair Rev10 ea on their own 600.2 ea at 400w x2. He is saying that 100w ea didnt make that big of difference.

I think he was saying putting 2 pair of Rev10s on 1 600.2 @ 300w ea x 4 was about the same as putting 2 pair Rev10 ea on their own 600.2 ea at 400w x2. He is saying that 100w ea didnt make that big of difference.

yeah, this. one amp or two amps to two pair... not much difference at the end of the rope.

Totally agree with the above posts.

The KS 600.2 was built for guys that are running 4 HLCD's on the tower. Whether you run 2 or 4 Rev 10's....the 600.2 will handle both applications really well.

1 KS 600.2 powering 2pairs of rev10's may not have a big noticeable difference at 70' back, but your working that one amp really hard to power those 2 pairs. Most applications I've seen with rev10's are using 1 600.2 per pair.

When in doubt just get crazy with the power. :biggrin:

This is what I got for each pair of rev 10's in my boat, it maybe overkill but who cares. These rev's can handle some big power.

2300.jpg

Edited by calilsv

I live in arizona so the heat thing is an important factor. I don't want to have amps overheating if pushed to their max with just running one 600.2 running all 4 rev 10s. My near end thoughts are to get 2 pairs of rev 10s with each pair powered by a Rockford power t1000.4 bridged at 4 ohms (2 amps total). Final thoughts?

Unless your getting a screaming deal on those rockfords I'd rather have 2 ks 600.2's.

That's just my preference, other's may have different opinions though.

Do you think I can get by with one 1000.4 amp and wire it bridged and in series or parallel? I saw on Rockford wiring wizard 4 single voice coil speakers linked to run at 4 ohms. Should I consult ws? Not sure on the wiring config tho?

Aquaman - let's put this to bed....the Arc Amp is clearly the better choice of the two you have talked about. The Arc Amp is much more efficient that the RF which will in turn create less heat. The Arc Amp also has an internal fan in it. It also has more power

You will not get it to go into thermal protection running 4 Rev 10's.

You will only be able to run that amp in 4 ohm load and that will be 150 watts per speaker.....way under powered.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but 4 , 4 ohm speakers on a four channel amp is a 4 ohm load all day long????

Edited by Murphy8166

So your recommendation is to run one arc 600.2 bridged and wired in parallel to run the 4 rev 10's? Yes I want to put this to rest too. Lol. It still seems that running two 1000.4 amps will at least bring 400-500 to each channel just bridged.

Let's use this scenario. Say you have a 1000 watt 4-channel amplifier that has ratings of:

4 X 150 watts into 4-ohms.

4 X 250 watts into 2-ohms.

2 X 300 watts bridged into 8-ohms.

2 X 500 watts bridged into 4-ohms.

The 4-ohm stereo and 8-ohm bridged modes deliver the identical power.

The 2-ohm stereo and 4-ohm bridged modes also deliver identical power.

You cannot bridge the amplifier into a 2-ohm load (which would be the result of paralleling two 4-ohm speakers) because you would tax the thermal stability not to mention introducing some other serious degradation.

So with four 4-ohm speakers you can pull 8-conductors up the tower and run 4 X 150 watts stereo or pull 4-conductors up the tower and run 2 X 300 watts bridged into seriesed speakers. The total power remains the same.

You have no other wiring configurations available that will produce more power.

You would have some really nice headroom in reserve if the 600 watts total is enough continuous power to fit your needs.

This is why most people use a bridged four-channel amplifier to drive a single pair of 4-ohm speakers and use a stereo two-channel amplifier to drive two pair of 4-ohm speakers in parallel.

David